Brewer Fanatic

Salomon Torres to MIL, Kevin Roberts & Marino Salas to PIT / Latest: Torres WILL report.

chuckiehacks

I'll comment on Aquino...he's not good, but the good news is he won't end up on the major league roster anyway.

This is a decent deal for the Brewers, but hardly robbery. It's pretty similar to the Mota deal...the Brewers are taking on dollars that the other teams don't want to pay. And they're hoping some of these guys work out. It's definitely not definite that Torres will be good, that's for sure.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pittsburgh should have cashed in on Torres two or three years ago when his value was much higher. Now they get two guys with decent arms, but both of whom have a lot to prove.

It's a decent move for Milwaukee...but I do like Roberts and picked him as a sleeper at one point, but he's got a long way to go before he could help the team. He added velocity when moved to the pen, and profiles as a possible power reliever, but the stats haven't looked that great...even last year the relatively good numbers came in the context of Brevard, which is a hard place for hitters. He still walked 5/9IP (with an excellent rate of 10K/9IP). That said, he was a 2b/P in college and has only been pitching full time for a couple of years now...he's both young and green, and it is entirely possible that he gets his command worked out and is an effective major league reliever.

But this way we at least get something useful out of him, when he might well flame out or get hurt. For me Roberts will always be in a category with guys like Sarfate...guys that might have grown into big league relievers. Had we produced a couple of those over the last five years, we might not be scraping through the grease bin looking for something tasty.

There were guys saying positives about Joe Winkelsas too.

JB, the difference is, at that time the Brewers were plugging their bullpen with anyone who'd had a decent prior month anywhere, the guys who are coming in now have all had success in the major leagues.

I dont think they will all be there in the end Briggs.

I just think that we have some arms here who can really contribute. as far as Mota - he pitched wonderful when he didnt have to go multiple innings. 0- ironicly thats what doug said he liked abotu him. I still think its a cruel joke.

Solomon Torres - pitched outstanding with no runners on. I can see him coming out of the pen at the start of the 7th inning or right after Shouse and Choate (and his quirky delivery) get out the lefty.

Matt Wise - we know how good he can be. Maybe a winter off will get him back his confidence. A Reliever putting up those #s and making what he makes? Thats a bargain, no matter if it is for our team or as trade bait.

Turnbow - I think he is still the best option to close. He had some collapses last year but my confidence in him remains. He has a chance to be a LEADER in that Bullpen. I think he comes back ready to assume that role.

Mclung - strikeout artist. I could see him as a backup closer.

Riske - dont know much about him but is #s speak for themselves. The guy seemed to put it all together last year. If he puts up last years #s, I couldnt ask for better numbers out of my setup man.

Let's keep adding players who have an axe to grind against divisional foes, an entertaining blend of pro wrestling and MLB.

Yeah I loved hearing the fire in the guy's belly. He's coming back ready. Maybe he can get the Pittsburgh monkey off our back

While it's been mentioned in a different way a couple times about Choate being signed to an AAA/MLB contract...

Randy Choate could not crack the Twins' 'pen out of Spring Training last year AND didn't show enough to get brought up to MN when the Twins were bringing up such - cough - strong names as Carmen Cali and Julio DePaula and other guys who struggled to record outs at the major league level in multiple call-ups. That tells me something.

He's probably a decent human being and all, but practically speaking, Randy Choate is AAA depth.

Channeling my inner Ned Yost and thinking about what we have

6th- Wise, McClung

7th- Mota, Torres

8th- Riske or Turnbow

9th- Riske or Turnbow

Lefty- Shouse

I think it looks better than the bullpen did at the beginning of last year because of more strength in the middle innings

Wow, I'm away from the computer for two hours and not only is there a transaction but almost six pages of comments. Nice work, guys.

Does anyone remember which poster had/has the "President of the Salomon Torres Fan Club" signature? because I'm not remembering who, but immediately thought he must be pretty pleased.

He battled elbow issues last season. That might account for some of the poor performance.

So, he's a battler. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

NDOGG - It's pretty similar to the Mota deal except that we got a better pitcher in this one.

To me thats a heck of a combination. Outside of Aquino because he is very unknown.

He's not an unknown. We know he stinks.

Mclung - strikeout artist. I could see him as a backup closer.

McClung strikes guys out to be sure, but he's been as wild - if not wilder - than Turnbow. He walks tons of guys.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

For the Matt Wise hopefuls;

If the Brewers keep him should they just dump him at the All Star Break no matter what his numbers are?

To me he just hasn't show he can be effective for an entire season and has to be handled with too much care. I am also leery of a guy whose best pitch is a change up coupled with a fastball that it isn't much better than a change up.

I guess I like this move because I don't see a major downside. Maybe if Roberts becomes a 40 save guy in 5 years but other than that there's no way we lose on this. If Torres falls on his face were out what 3 mil? The question is is Melvin gathering pen arms in the hopes of making a trade (possibly for a closer) or is he trying to set up more competition in the spring and then cutting the losers loose? I think there are more trades coming.

The more arms Milwaukee has in the pen that are capable of a sub-4 ERA, the more likely it is that some of those guys will have a decent year.

As for Wise, I wouldn't feel too bad about dealing him away at mid-season (if he's able to rebound mentally, which I still think he can). His ERA has been trending up over the past 3 seasons, and is likely to get more expensive in future seasons.

7.6 K/9, 2.9 BB/9, 47.8% GB, 4.21 xFIP

I fail to see how he had a bad year last year. His stats are right in line with 2005 and 2006 just his ERA jumped since well ERA is just erratic in general. If he can come back to having an above average LOB% I don't see a reason he can't post a sub 4 ERA.

Mota was 7 K/9, 2.7 BB/9, 44% GB, 4.32 xFIP.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Mota or Torres becomes our 2nd best RP behind Riske.

I like this deal, I didn't mind the Mota one as long as he's healthy. Overall I feel our bullpen right now is stronger than it was going into last season and might be stronger than what we had at the end of the season last year with King/Linebrink.

MJL, if your memory works further back than 2007, your "he just hasn't show he can be effective for an entire season" quote doesn't fit.
Matt Wise managed 37.2 innings in 1st half 07 and 16 attrocious innings in second half 07.

Matt Wise managed to pitch in 30 innings in first half 2006 and 14 innings in second half 06

Matt Wise managed to pitch in 46 innings in first half 2005 and 18 innings in second half 05

Matt Wise career:

pre All-Star break 169 IP, 1.14 WHIP, and .227 BAA, OPS+ 85

pst All-Star Break 141IP, 1.40 WHIP, and .264 BAA , OPS+ 117

Notice a pattern here? So to answer your question, yes my memory works further back than 2007.

I wouldn't count on Matt Wise for a full year especially given how downright terrible he was in the second half of last year. I guess I don't buy the, "but he hit a guy in the head " excuse for him.

Nice deal, for sure.

Torres can work multiple innings, most likely, which is something that's been missing in the pen the past couple seasons.

It might not pan out, but it's a chance worth taking, considering they didn't give up anything of consequence to get him.

An OK signing. Really not much more Melcin can do to improve the bullpen than do stuff liek this. At least he has the money to do it now.

As for McClung, he is not a good pitcher and 12 decent innings with the Brewers in 2007 does not chance that in the least. Of course, if he stinks over his first few appearances in 2008, everyone will be calling for his head.

I am also leery of a guy whose best pitch is a change up coupled with a fastball that it isn't much better than a change up.

Why? It doesn't matter how fast his fastball is if he hides his change effectively (which he does) and it's significantly slower (which it is) And I believe Wise's fastball is in the high 80's range, which is certainly not very fast, but not super slow, like shouse.

Archived