Brewer Fanatic

Salomon Torres to MIL, Kevin Roberts & Marino Salas to PIT / Latest: Torres WILL report.

chuckiehacks

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My first question would be, "why?"

My first comment would be, "he's 35 years old and was awful last season".

My answer would be: we desperately need relivers and we didn't have to give up anything for him.

My response would be, "Buy low, sell high"

Talk about selling low. He's had one bad year and they dump something every team looks for in July. Had they simply held onto him and he returned to anywhere near his norm they could have got actual players in return. Even if he didn't return to his norm they couldn't get much less could they?
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
He was only crappy last year. The previous 3 years, he was lights out. This is probably one of the better Melvin robberies that I've seen.

He was crappy last year, could it be coincidentally, after being used in 84, 78, and 94(!!) games the 3 previous years. Coupled with he's 35. Last year was an anomoly compared to the previous 3, but not all that uncommon for a guy his age to decline given his (over)usage. Kinda hard to *predict* a bounceback.

It's going to be one interesting spring sorting through that group in the pen.

Roberts may not have been in the Power 50 but his strikeout totals (more than one per inning in his career) and the fact he was a 5th round pick that showed improvement from 06 to 07 means he might have been overlooked.

What's troubling is that the Brewers don't ever seem able to develop a guy like Roberts who they invested a pretty high pick on just 2 years ago into a quality reliever. Who was the last Brewer drafted to have any success in a major league bullpen?

Archived