Brewer Fanatic

Nelson tied for lead in HR's down in Dominican Winter League

Bill Bradski

Nelson's successful 3b stint and resurgence in power and OBP apparently saved his 40-man roster spot. One has to wonder if he's currently scheduled to start at 3b, 1b, LF, or DH in AAA. If it's 3b, and if he can handle it adequately, he could potentially be a solid contributor at the big league level. As much as I love production in the minors, there have been plenty of players that seem to top out at AAA, only to see them actually perform better in the big leagues. Sometimes things just click.

Nelson demonstrated an upward trend this past season after finally getting over the wrist injury. Given (a) the ability he showed as a younger player, (b) the injury and its predictable effect on his power, © the evidence that he's gotten over it, (d) the fact that he's still young enough to develop further, and (e) his newfound versatility, I think he's definitely worth a roster spot. Certainly I'd rather keep Nelson than Drew Anderson, if it comes to that, or Laynce Nix. He'll probably stall out, but he has some chance to be something.

Greg.

I always figured he could at least flameout into Matt Stairs in his later years. His power came back this year, but his ability to take a walk disappeared again. It's nice to have some options between him and Vinny for guys with use to put on the end of the roster and adequately cover short DL stints.

Can Nelson really play 3B? I haven't seen how he moves, but his body type just doesn't look like a 3B to me.

Compare Braun to Nelson as an athlete for a second...Braun wins hands down and has much more ability to play 3B. If you don't like Braun at 3B, you won't like Nelson. He's not a horrible 3B...in terms of errors, but he simply doesn't get to many balls. What he gets to he fields well, but I first of all don't think Braun will be horrible his entire career at 3B and if one thinks Braun will be horrible there forget the ideas of Nelson there. He can fit there for an inning or two as a super sub, but for him to start a game at 3B would be a lot. He'd still have to lose some weight. I've met Brad and he's a great guy. I really don't question his bat. I think he will be in the bigs and will be around for awhile -- maybe not a starter, but he'll have a long MLB career. The guy has played many positions, but seeing his strides in Nashville in terms of recognizing pitches there is a darn good reason he's on the 40 man right now. He's light years ahead of Anderson. Nelson could be part of a trade package -- and actually get something. There have been posts here about Zach Jack getting something in return and I hate to say that's not true. Jackson doesn't have a ton of value with the Crew. Nelson does.

thats great he has 8HRS and is leading the league, but he's also batting .252 which I don't like, though he does have a .349OBP which is good considering what hes batting. Major League Future? I think he's one of those guys where if he gets smokin hot for a month, he could get a call to the Majors and may be up and down his entire future from the Majors to AAA and back and forth.

IF he were to be given 500AB maybe 1-2 years in a row at the Major League Level and injury free, he MAY compile a .250-.262BA/24HR/50+RBI and I think thats where he tops out. Of course unless the Brewers go down with injuries that won't happen with the Brewers. I could see it happining in maybe KC or the Rangers or one of those teams, but I think he tops out at around those numbers IF he's given consistant AB's for 1-2 years, but I have a hard time imagining some team giving him that chance.

It's good to see him have some success, maybe he'll take a few hitting tips from watching Joe Dillon. A buddy of mine gave me a set of signed Brewer baseball cards this year, including Jim Gantner, Ben Oglivie and Cecil Cooper. There was one card I didn't recognize, and it was Brad Nelson's. I've got it in a photo frame next to Dale Sveum's card.

Archived