Brewer Fanatic

Brewers non-tendering Kevin Mench - Maybe?

yoyo49

On his ESPN blog from Nashville, Peter Gammons is reporting that the Brewers will non-tender Kevin Mench. His right-handed outfield bench role was filled by Dillon, and it'll be nice to save the 4 million or so he would have received in arbitration. However, I am surprised no other MLB teams are interested in a bench player who mashes lefties.

Its probably not that other teams don't want him, but more that other teams know that the Brewers will probably non tender him. Why give up something for him when you can just pick him up after he is non-tendered. I dont think Kevin is a bad player, just that he has no place on this team considering what he will get in arby.

so let me get this straight, Mench has been mentioned in trade rumors, meaning other teams are interested in him, yet we are going to non-tender him?

I don't quite understand the thought process here.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I would assume they don't want to get stuck with him as they did Graffy last year. That is a little bit different situation, but Mench doesn't fit into their plans. They have to either tender or non-tender him. They dont want to offer him arby and not be able to find a trade partner for him.

I would assume he would have some appeal to the Dodgers as a platoon type player with the lefty Pierre in left field. If anything else a fourth or fifth outfielder depending on whether they trade Kemp/Eithier. Sheets/Mench to the Dodgers for Eithier/Biemel/Prospect?

so let me get this straight, Mench has been mentioned in trade rumors, meaning other teams are interested in him, yet we are going to non-tender him?

I don't quite understand the thought process here.

Other teams that may be interested in Mench probably felt like they didn't need to make a trade in order to acquire him, as long as the Brewers non-tendered him.

If the Brewers had tendered Mench (that just sounds wrong), they might have ended up not able to trade him away. With all the RH bats already on their roster, Mench doesn't really have an important role on the Brewers, especially if Dillon's (a cheaper, more versatile RH bat)going to be on the big-league club.

He'd get 4 million in arby, and having another bench player on the Brewers making more than any of the other regular position players doesn't make sense.

If a team trades for him, they will a) give up a player(s) and b) need to sign him or at least offer arby which gaurantees ~$3.75M. A team can just wait until the Brewers non-tender him (which seems like we'll do if we can't trade him) and then the team can sign him for cheaper. However, Mench would be a free agent and could sign with any team and one might find himself in a bidding war for Mench.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

...Mench would be a free agent and could sign with any team and one might find himself in a bidding war for Mench.

that is funny to me...

a bidding WAR for Kevin Mench...

well, at least we aren't strapped to Jeffrey Hammonds anymore, I remember that bidding war, too bad we won...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I'd say he's a good bet to end up back in Texas. It's too bad he couldn't regain the power stroke he had with the Rangers, but he did what he was asked to do in Milwaukee and did well in that regard. I'll never forget his WWE-style entrance into Miller Park on the night of that Carlos Lee trade. I could almost hear Daron Sutton turning into Jim Ross and yelling "My gawd! It's Kevin Mench! Kevin Mench is in the building!"

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Not so fast! We still have the sandwich comp. pick for Cordero! The legacy lives on!

Yeah, I thought about that right after I posted...maybe in some ironic twist the pick can turn out to be Podsednik's distant cousin or something and bring balance to the force.

Not so fast! We still have the sandwich comp. pick for Cordero! The legacy lives on!

And don't forget Julian Cordero!

I think he got released a while back.

Of course, the Rangers have even less to show for the trade -- I wouldn't trade our sandwich pick for Nelson Cruz. (Actually, I guess the Rangers must have gotten picks for losing Lee, but I wasn't paying attention.)

Greg.

I'm glad Mench won't be around next year, but I thought the Brewers would have been able to get a little something for him. Oh well.

As for Mench, he hits lefties well, but Yost needs to be protected from himself. Obvious platoon guys don't really have a place on the Brewers because Ned will let them hit too much against their weak side. Also, Mench seems like a douche. I never like players that are obviously terrible at something but think of themselves as stars and complain about PT. I know you need an ego to be a successful athlete but I don't think a modicum of self-awareness is too much to ask.

Well at least the let's package Mench up with Vargas and trade them for a pretty decent player rumours should stop. Two guys with little if any trade value that seem to float around in rumours here a lot. Related to the you have to give to get thread a while back why do people keep thinking that players we don't want appeal to others. True there are always guys like Capuano and Gwynn who will have some value based on past performance or name recognition but they are rare. It's all fun to read though.

Archived