Brewer Fanatic

Teahen?

I remember Teahen apparently being all but traded to the Cubs, but has this deal happened? Otherwise, he wouldn't be a bad option if the Brewers can deal for him by sending a Vargas-type or Mench to KC. Lefty bat with a solid OBP, plus IIRC, he used to be play third before Gordon was called up - playing corner OF spots adds to his versatility, and he'd be pretty cheap contract-wise.

I think the trade was Murton for Teahen, but I think the Brewers could make a better offer than that for him.

I don't think it happened yet - it may be a fall-back option for them should the Cubs not acquire Fukudome, but I'm pretty sure Teahen's still a Royal for now.

With Guillen being signed to play right, and Gordon playing 3rd, Teahen probably will be dealt - I think a veteran starting pitcher would be more valuable to the Royals than a Murton.

Fukodome is at the top of the Cubs list. Next in line is Ibanez (they would offer M's Sean Marshall). Teahan is down below that somewhere, but I agree the Royals need pitching more. Problem there is Cubs have pitching they could deal too.

Teahan would be great fit for Brewers. He could play 3B but he can also play OF. Would give Brewers opportunity to try Braun a little longer at third, then make a switch in season rather than a total commitment now. Plus he's a lefty bat which is a big plus.

I like the idea of Teahen too - I really think a trade with the Royals and Brewers would work, because both teams could trade pieces that the other team covets more...i.e., the Royals don't really have a spot for Teahan in their lineup, and they could use any kind of pitching help they could get. The Brewers would have a spot and position for Teahan in their lineup, and they have quite a few arms they'd have little to no trouble trading away.

putting my gm hat on, I'd like to see Teahen acquired to play 3rd, and then work out some sort of deal involving Hall and and one of Vargas, Capuano, or even Sheets with the Dodgers for Ethier and a bullpen arm/starting pitcher prospect (Broxton, Beimel, Billingsly, Kershaw, etc). Move Hart to center and figure out which corner OF Braun and Ethier play best, and go from there. A trade with the Dodgers likely won't happen until they find out whether they can trade for Bedard or not, but they do have alot of young talent at positions of need for the Brewers.

This series of moves gives the Brewers 3 LH bats in their everyday lineup, improves their team OBP, improves their team defense, improves their bullpen, and probably frees up alot of cash to use on acquiring other players in trades or for contract extensions for some of their young players as they reach arby.

Teahen or DeJesus would suit what Melvin is looking for in a player--works the count, good OBP, left-handed bat. I think DeJesus would fit in very nicely in center field and the No. 2 spot in the order. From there we could decide whether our defense is better suited with Braun at third and Hall in left or vice versa. Also, DeJesus may be more expendable with the emergence of Joey Gathright in KC and the addition of Jose Guillen to their outfield.

I'm all for DeJesus, but as usual, his injury history would worry me. I think the guy would be a great pick-up for the brewers. Hopefully his name is being floated out there and Doug is listening.
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Teahen is the only player to come close to being as bad as Braun at 3B in the past 20 years... so I hope you are thinking of him for LF and not 3B.
For comparison:

Teahen (career @ 3b) -- 237 games, 1992.0 innings, 709 TC -- 34 errors, .952 F%, 3.05 RF, .719 ZR

Hall (career @ 3b) -- 84 games, 602.1 innings, 184 TC -- 11 E, .965 F%, 2.58 RF, .810 ZR

Braun ('07) -- 112 games, 945.1 innings, 248 TC -- 26 E, .895 F%, 2.11 RF, .697 ZR

Rolen ('07) -- 112 games, 935.0 innings, 321 TC -- 10 E, .969 F%, 2.99 RF, .847 ZR

(note: someone else can make the numbers look pretty)

Braun is in a category all his own at the hot corner. Moreover, if you compare errors / total chances (using Teahen's TC # as a baseline)

Teahen - 34 E

Braun - 74.3 E

Hall - 42.4 E

Rolen - 22 E

If Teahen isn't good enough defensively to play at third....I'm not sure the same doesn't hold true for Hall as well.

Teahen is the only player to come close to being as bad as Braun at 3B in the past 20 years... so I hope you are thinking of him for LF and not 3B.

congratulations on making the overstatement of the week, and that's very difficult considering all the crazy rumors flying around this messageboard.

please give me the defensive stats of every third baseman during the past 20 years as evidence, and maybe after spending 5 days looking at them i'll have to agree with you. how's a career fielding % of around .954 at 3B close to Braun's .895?

I like the idea of Teahen too - I really think a trade with the Royals and Brewers would work, because both teams could trade pieces that the other team covets more...i.e., the Royals don't really have a spot for Teahan in their lineup, and they could use any kind of pitching help they could get.

Plus we could remind them of how we traded them Jorge de la Rosa. They owe us.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Errors are not the only stat involved in defense.

Defenders with good reputations such as Pedro Feliz, Ryan Zimmerman, and Scott Rolen rise to the top in both systems, and it's interesting to note that Aramis Ramirez had a superb season after a -10 SFR in 2006 and a 0 in 2005. Meanwhile, Braun can barely see Edwin Encarnacion off in the distance, while the systems disagree on new Tiger Miguel Cabrera. The only other SFR rating for a third baseman in the 2005-2007 time period that comes close to Braun's -40 was the Royals' Mark Teahen at -31 in 2005, before they mercifully shifted him to right field.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=6976

Teahan is not a natural 3B and displayed absolutely no range out there at all.

I called Teahen's defense suspect a while back, but I was assured from half-decade old scouting reports of the Pacific Coast League that he was ok.

Sorry to rain on your parade, Ender.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

He'd be better than Braun, defensively. I can't say much else.

Teahen is a huge upgrade defensively from Braun, but I'd worry that the Brewers would misplay the situation and keep Braun at third, with Teahen in LF. It's true that Teahen hasn't shown the same skill with the glove in the bigs as he did in the minor leagues, but he's not terrible either. I'd put him out there over Braun without a second thought.

I think Teahen would be a perfect fit for the Brewers and the Royals would be good trading partners since they need pitching. Have there been any rumors about him being available though? I've heard DeJesus rumors, but not Teahen rumors.

I think Teahen would be a perfect fit for the Brewers and the Royals would be good trading partners since they need pitching. Have there been any rumors about him being available though? I've heard DeJesus rumors, but not Teahen rumors.

First post mentions that Teahen was all but traded to the Cubs about a week ago. I have no idea what happened to that, but apparently he's still on the Royals for now.

sbrylski06 wrote:First post mentions that Teahen was all but traded to the Cubs about a week ago. I have no idea what happened to that, but apparently he's still on the Royals for now.

True, but was that ever verified? If I remember right, it was one of those elusive radio rumors... And it doesn't seem to have legs since it's a week later and no one else has reported anything like that. I'm not saying it's not possible, but at this point, it seems like the Royals are shopping DeJesus, not Teahen. That's not surprising to me since they're similar players, but Teahen can play either corner outfield spot, third base and first base while DeJesus is pretty much a centerfielder, where it seems Joey Gathright may get the starting nod.

Was there actually a trade offer between the Royals and Cubs of Matt Murton for Mark Teahen? What would have been gained by the Royals if this trade had gone over?
-- Allen V., York, Neb.

Apparently this rumor was hot radio air originating last week in Chicago. Murton is a right-handed, platoon-type player who had eight home runs and 22 RBIs in 94 games last year for the Cubs. He's hit .326 against left-handed pitchers in his career. He's considered an average outfielder. There would have been no absolutely no gain for the Royals in giving up Teahen, arguably their best athlete and a cornerstone of their future.

Cornerstone of their future? Not exactly the idea I got from the Royals last year. The writer also mentions later in the mailbag that DeJesus will likely be in the opening day lineup in CF. I would hoping a Vargas or Turnbow plus prospect would be attractive. I'll keep crossing my fingers.

Archived