Brewer Fanatic

How do we not have a Wisconsin-Marquette thread?

bjkrautk
Duke at Cameron is NOTHING like Duke in Maui. Bad comparison. The only way UW loses this game is if they get caught up in the sloppy MU running style (i.e. lots of fast breaks and lots of turnovers). They need to control the clock and play smart. If they do that I think UW wins. If this game is at the BC I'd say MU wins going away but at the Kohl Center UW wins this.

I'm not really sure if you're responding to mine or not, but I said "it's only one game", and "if you compare." It's obviously not the greatest comparison, but it's a pretty bold statement to say NOTHING like it. I mean both Duke had the same roster each game right? They didn't go back to their 1999 team to play Wisconsin?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trevon Hughes can't get in foul trouble like he did @ Duke, he needs to play pass first and have the bigs set picks, Stiemsma up top passing and have the MU guards work on D. I like both teams and am going to a bar to hear from fans cheering both teams!

Go Bucky!

I don't know if I will every understand why people consider Greg Stiemsma to be a good passer.

Are you just basing that off this game? I've seen at least a few games where he was some very good passes.

I was rooting for Wisconsin, but I still can't really be upset. It's good to see Marquette play as well as they did, they should certainly at least be able to challenge G'Town, Lousiville and Notre Dame at the top of the conference.

I thought Trevon Hughes really hurt the Badgers late in the game. Too many crazy 1-on-3 or 1-on-4 drives and a ton of missed free throws. I haven't seen him play a lot, but after a few viewings, I don't really see how he fits in with the Badgers style of play. Their offense is all about good passing and ball movement, and it just seems like he can't operate unless he is dribbling all over the place.

I don't know if I will every understand why people consider Greg Stiemsma to be a good passer.

Are you just basing that off this game? I've seen at least a few games where he was some very good passes.

I was rooting for Wisconsin, but I still can't really be upset. It's good to see Marquette play as well as they did, they should certainly at least be able to challenge G'Town, Lousiville and Notre Dame at the top of the conference.

Well, he's averaging a turnover about once every eleven minutes over the past 2 seasons...His A / TO is right at 1:1 in that same time period. Not a good tradeoff at all.

He didn't cost the Badgers a ton here...Ironically I thought it was the team getting out-toughed around the hoop that made the difference. Also Trevon played pretty poorly. I guess MU is for real...It doesn't hurt as much losing to our Badger state brothers than it does to Illinois, Iowa, or Minnesota.

He didn't cost the Badgers a ton here...Ironically I thought it was the team getting out-toughed around the hoop that made the difference. Also Trevon played pretty poorly. I guess MU is for real...It doesn't hurt as much losing to our Badger state brothers than it does to Illinois, Iowa, or Minnesota.

I agree, I just checked the box score and Marquette had as many offensive rebounds as UW had defensive, which was 16. Also, from the Georgia game to today Hughes is 15-51, and the GA game was basically the first one against an upper-level D1 opponent.

Community Moderator

Classic game.

I wanted the Badgers to win, but I can't really be upset because the Badgers lost it with bad free throw shooting and turnovers. Still, the Badgers looked way better tonight than the Duke game and this is another learning experience. I expect that this will be their last loss at the Kohl Center this year. Marquette is headed for a potential Big East title, so Wisconsin shouldn't get too down over this one. Next year Wisconsin will prevail.

coming in to the game I really didn't care who won the game. After watching most of it, I know I want the Badgers to win. I really can't stand James. I think he is a punk.....Badgers need to learn how to shoot FTs

I go to Marquette, huge fan, and I will agree with you, James is a punk, I have never heard anything good about him around campus to be honest with you, but he has a ton of potential and actually stepped up today, I usually can't stand the way he plays, but he sure carried the team today, great win

Great game, unfortunate outcome. I'm so drained that I feel as though I was in there playing the game.

- Agree with the above post - James is a punk. Some of the gestures he was making (probably off-camera) were quite childish.

- A bit troubling that UW was outrebounded against a much smaller team. Boards should be their bread and butter.

- Bielema living up to his most eligible bachelor status..walked in with another beautiful woman before the game.

- Free throws - ouch.

That truly was one of the best games I've been at in my 5 year (and still counting) UW career. I agree with those that don't like D. James very much, he definitely seemed like a punk, but the Badgers couldn't do anything to stop him from driving and dishing on them all night.

Doug Melvin sighting!

From the student section, I was looking over behind the Marquette bench often and thought it was strange that there was a guy that looked a lot like Doug Melvin sitting behind their bench. I guess it wasn't just a Doug Melvin body-double, it was the real thing.

Wow...Now I know why Brian Butch has so many offensive rebounds; he gets them all on his own missed shots. For a guy with a lot of hype he certainly disappears when the game gets into crunch time.

I echo those of you that said it was a great game, one of the best I've watched in years. MU showed their toughness down the stretch and won at one of the toughest places to play in the nation...no small feat.

I think the Badgers are going to give some teams in the Big-10 fits with their size but will continue to struggle against more athletic teams. MU beat them to just about every loose ball and seemed to be able to drive to the rim at will.

With Bo at the helm UW is going to win more than they lose.

I'm a huge MU fan so this was a huge win. This is the type of win that gets you a top 4 seed in March.

Marquette is just the better team. To bad for Marquette thay they don't have just one really quality big man, they could be a legit contender to reach the Final Four. Even if they only had say Brian Butch added to their roster, they'd be really really tough to beat because they are loaded at the 1-2-3 positions.

Archived