Brewer Fanatic

9 dead in Omaha mall shooting

Brian the Automator

I really don't understand where a sad, angry, depressed, confused, etc...person goes from "woe is me" to "woe is me and everyone around me is going to feel my wrath regardless of whether I've ever seen them before in my life or not." I just can't imagine being the husband, wife, daughter, brother, sister, son, parent......of any of the victims of something like this and trying to figure out how you lost someone who was just Christmas shopping or going to work at the mall.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

"just another day in America I'm afraid... "

Or Darfur

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I just can't imagine being the husband, wife, daughter, brother, sister, son, parent......of any of the victims of something like this and trying to figure out how you lost someone who was just Christmas shopping or going to work at the mall.
I concur with this statement but want to add, "I can't imagine being the family member, friend, etc. of the person who did the shooting." That's probably just as bad, I would guess.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I thought I saw a snippet on the news indicating that the perpetrator didn't want to be "a burden" to his family anymore.

I'm going to guess he didn't think of the possibility that leaving a huge nationally known stigma might be a burden to his loved ones.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

just another day in America I'm afraid...

?

what don't you understand man?

this stuff happens a lot, we have become desensitized to it... 20 years ago, this would have been the lead story for weeks, now it is just another blip on the screen.

Remember Columbine? Since that happened, there have been a lot of school shootings, and they are not covered as extensively because they are happening more now.

It's sad really, but this country is messed up. Anyone can be a victim of this crap any day of the week.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

This kid was depressed, thought he was an unimportant loser, didnt get enough attention and probably was mentally ill. The problem here is that he wanted to kill himself but he didnt want to be forgotten and his answer to not wanting to be forgotten was to create media attention by doing something that he knew Fox News, CNN and MSNBC would cover for days, uninterrupted - that is open fire on innocent people.

It's not unusual at all that one-line posts cause a level of misunderstanding. That's one of the reasons why the discussion not allowed section of the rules suggests going light on one-liners.

Item number one of that section also mentions condescension. "what don't you understand man?" as an opening sentence isn't civil discourse. Starting your message with the second sentence would have communicated exactly what you needed to say without including the unnecessary dig.

Heck, the desensitization commentary in reply #9 could have occurred instead of the one-liner in reply #2 to begin with.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

It's not unusual at all that one-line posts cause a level of misunderstanding. That's one of the reasons why the discussion not allowed section of the rules suggests going light on one-liners.

Item number one of that section also mentions condescension. "what don't you understand man?" as an opening sentence isn't civil discourse. Starting your message with the second sentence would have communicated exactly what you needed to say without including the unnecessary dig.

Heck, the desensitization commentary in reply #9 could have occurred instead of the one-liner in reply #2 to begin with.

first off, "what don't you understand" was not meant as anything other than a real question, it was not meant as a dig, or a rip or thought of in a condescending tone. It was a simple question. When the poster above left a post containing only a ?, I simply wanted to know what that meant, what didn't he/she understand...

There is no mention of the poster who posted the question mark as not following the rules, in fact, apparantly you had no problem with that at all...

My one line post stating "another day in america" was all I needed to convey, therefore it is only one line. Are you suggesting that I type out a bunch of sentances just so I am not in violation of the one line posts rule. Even if those sentances were not necessary?

Another thing, if you have such a big problem with my post, why not send me a personal message instead of airing your displeasure on this forum for everyone to read? Why the need for the drama? Are you just trying to prove you can scold me publically? I seriously do not understand the need for your post directed at me, it could have been handled and discussed privately, and that is how it should have been done.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Maruca-Kovac told the Omaha World-Herald that the night before the shooting, Hawkins and her sons showed her an SKS semiautomatic Russian military rifle - the same type used in the shooting.

She said she thought the gun belonged to a member of Hawkins' family.

She said she didn't think much of it - the gun looked too old to work.

That's the part that freaks me out the most. If someone walked into my house with a semiautomatic - I guess I don't know what I'd do but it seems odd.

Archived