Brewer Fanatic

Eric Gagne: Latest - 1yr/10M?

TURBO
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Seeing how it's a one year deal, I don't think this would impact a possible Rolen trade.

I disagree, honestly. If it really is about 10 million, I just can't see the Brewers picking up another 8-12 million (depending on what the Cards would pick up), even if it's only 2008 that they'd double-up. I think it makes it considerably more likely that we'll be looking to bring in someone making little (Teahen, Ethier, LaRoche) rather than have anything to do with Rolen.

The longer the Cards go without getting what they think they should get for Rolen, they'll have to either lower their asking price, or up the amount they're willing to pay the team that takes him. If they take a decent amount, I think he'd still fit in the budget.

With arby raises, Kendall signing, and the relievers Melvin has picked up, I think we're still on the plus side with the salaries of Jenkins, Cordero, Miller, Mench, and Grafanino off the books. Couple that with the salary of, for example, Capuano going to the Cardinals, and I don't think it's completely out of the realm of possibility.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry, but taking Melvin at his word about Turnbow as closer was just silly.

Perhaps, but there are a good number of people here that think that Turnbow will rebound and be sufficient as a starter. I don't see how you can call the first group silly and not the second group even sillier. Heck, there are people here that think McClung can close -- is that silly?

Well sure of course it is. Doesn't mean that panicking over what a GM is saying in late November isn't either.

I just really hope that if we're shelling out $10mm for 1 year, that Melvin had the smarts to toss in a club option for 2009 just in case Gagne regains his form.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I don't think it's completely out of the realm of possibility.

Oh, I agree with that completely. I just disagree that this signing won't impact it, as I think we're going to have to have the Cards REALLY lower their asking price, or we're going to have to add more talent vs taking on salary.

these one year deals ae great...if mota, gagne, and torres all put it together, the crew will be great and we'll wind up with a bunch of comp picks again next year...these are great risk money only moves...and considering that the payroll wasn't going to grow from current player salary raises, these are a great expense...

A straight-up $10MM contract is probably right around the line where I go from happy to less-than-impressed with the signing. If the deal is for up to $10MM with incentives, that's great. Giving him that much money guaranteed, IMO, is a pretty big risk. He's not out of the woods after his string of injuries, and I'd just hate to see that much cash wasted on a guy who pitches 10 innings. Gagne is the perfect candidate for an incentive-laden deal that pays him way below market for a base salary and risks an above-market value if he makes a solid number of appearance. I'm not worried about how he'll perform WHEN he pitches - I'm worried about how much time he'll spend on the bench and leave the team scrambling to fill that void.

Not including Mench in the arby guesstimates but counting everyone else including Torres, Gagne's $10 mil pricetag would push the Brewers '08 payroll up and over $80 million. I don't know what Attanasio's payroll plans are, obviously, but even clearing Cappy or Vargas still makes Rolen's contract seem untenable for the budget. IMO, it would take trading away Hall's salary in addition to either Cappy's or Vargas' to make any Rolen prospects even remotely possible.

With arby raises, Kendall signing, and the relievers Melvin has picked up, I think we're still on the plus side with the salaries of Jenkins, Cordero, Miller, Mench, and Grafanino off the books. Couple that with the salary of, for example, Capuano going to the Cardinals, and I don't think it's completely out of the realm of possibility.

Don't forget Dessens, Estrada, and whatever the Brewers owed to Koskie.

Per the Brewerfan salary page, the Brewers are currently at ~50 million, obviously excluding any of the 10 arby-eligible salaries. Figuring 10 million for Gagne and 12-15 million for the arby guys (excluding Mench), that puts them at roughly 75 million. It'd be almost stunning to see them add another 10 million for Rolen, but you never know.

Well, if there were ever a time to add the extra $10MM, now would be the time to do it. How often are the Brewers going to be this close to being the best team in the NL Central, and only needing one more piece to the puzzle to put us over the top?

Archived