Brewer Fanatic

Eric Gagne: Latest - 1yr/10M?

TURBO
I really think Dave Bush will be one of the ones kept among our 5,000 pitchers. I think trading him would be a big mistake as he provides our pitching staff with a ton of flexibility. He's willing to do whatever asked of him, so if we need him to bounce around between the bullpen and starting rotation based on next year's injuries and performance he would not complain. I also think he would be an extremely effective long man out of the pen. It seemed to me like Bush was always gold for like 4-5 innings and then he'd give up a big inning in the 6th or 7th inning. This leads me to believe that he'd be an awesome guy to come in and eat up three or four innings if our starter struggled or if our bullpen is tired. In my mind, he's a keeper.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Handicourt is saying he heard it is a one year deal and could be worth 10 million. For some reason I cant get hyperlinks to work but it is in his blog so i am sure someone else will post it. Thats a lot of money I was hoping for more around 6-7 million

Bush has more value in the trade market than Vargas or Capuano. But I don't think the Brewers want to trade him. He's Sheets' shadow. They have to have him to replace Sheets in rotation when that time comes, usually late April or early May.

Parra will be the 5th starter. It's easier for them to control his innings in that spot (skipping the occasional turn) than if he's pitching every 5th day in Nashville.

why is everyone so sure that gagne will be closing? I don't consider that a certainty, unless something has been said by Melvin on the topic.

I think the roles in the bullpen will take awhile to sort out. Hopefully, not longer than spring training.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
why is everyone so sure that gagne will be closing? I don't consider that a certainty, unless something has been said by Melvin on the topic.

I think the roles in the bullpen will take awhile to sort out. Hopefully, not longer than spring training.

IF this deal is worth close to 10 mil as Haudricort says it may, I'd suspect that in and of itself would strongly suggest that Gagne is the closer, simply because the save is the "money" stat. Also, it may be that Gagne specifically asked if he would be the closer, and would only agree to a one year deal if he is indeed the closer, to boost his value for a longer term deal. That is just me guessing, but I think that's a pretty realistic scenario.

Yeesh. That seemed a pretty easy question to answer. Not everyone has the time to dig through an 8 page thread.

True, but it was only about 40 posts previous that it was answered. It's a safe assumption that if you jump into an 8 page thread with a quesiton, it's probably been answered before. Threads would become pretty useless if no one bothered to read them before posting anything. Besides, you could probably google the answer in the same time it took to post.

IF this deal is worth close to 10 mil as Haudricort says it may, I'd suspect that in and of itself would strongly suggest that Gagne is the closer, simply because the save is the "money" stat. Also, it may be that Gagne specifically asked if he would be the closer, and would only agree to a one year deal if he is indeed the closer, to boost his value for a longer term deal. That is just me guessing, but I think that's a pretty realistic scenario.

Yeah, that sounds right to me. Hopefully it is only $10M if he hits all the incentives, I'm sure he would have earned it in that case. Either way, it's only 1 year, so I don't care too much one way or the other. Unless Rolen or other major trades happen, we have the money anyway.

I'm hoping that it's a possible 10 million dollars if he meets certain incentives, rather than just a one year deal near 10 million. I did figure it would at least be around 6 million for Gagne to reject arbitration. I also wonder how this might effect any possible Scott Rolen deal or any other possible leftfielder/3rd baseman options they may be interested in. Assuming this is around say 9 million that would push the Brewer payroll to around 58 million and that's before any of the Arby cases. Although, I do expect Mench to be gone and Cappy possible traded, which would open up some more salary space. If Mench and Cappy are gone, with the Arby cases are we looking at a payroll of around 68 million at the moment? It's hard to get an idea of what Hardy will end up getting.

The good thing about this deal, along with Mota's and possible Torres is that the Brewers will only be on the hook for one year. If the Brewers do indeed end up signing Gagne.

Yeesh. That seemed a pretty easy question to answer. Not everyone has the time to dig through an 8 page thread.

True, but it was only about 40 posts previous that it was answered. It's a safe assumption that if you jump into an 8 page thread with a quesiton, it's probably been answered before. Threads would become pretty useless if no one bothered to read them before posting anything. Besides, you could probably google the answer in the same time it took to post.

I'm not trying to jump your case (and trying to not go off topic), I just know that a lot of people come here for their baseball news first, and the site prides itself on such. In an 8 page thread, it's easy enough to just ask a simple question rather than go digging through. Especially if a person doesn't spend a lot of time on the computer. My 2 cents, that's all.

Sorry, but taking Melvin at his word about Turnbow as closer was just silly.

Perhaps, but there are a good number of people here that think that Turnbow will rebound and be sufficient as a starter. I don't see how you can call the first group silly and not the second group even sillier. Heck, there are people here that think McClung can close -- is that silly?

I think it is reasonable if you like Turnbow to expect he will close and that Melvin would be done dealing.

Gagne is a B for 2007. -- Conceivably -- He could be an A in 2008.

Wanna put some money on that?

Yeah -- I sure would --IF -- Torres doesn't retire -- Mota/Torres are not going anywhere -- but I think Parra will not be on the Brewers opening day roster (barring injury)

Seeing how it's a one year deal, I don't think this would impact a possible Rolen trade. There's a lot of money come off the books already, and there will certainly be some players of cost going to St. Louis in such a trade anyways. I'm also thinking if you sign Gagne to a one year, 10 million dollar deal, that's a pretty clear indicator of "we're going for it this year", and I'm betting that Mark A will allow Melvin to go a few bucks over budget to get the last few pieces he would want in such a scenario.

Seeing how it's a one year deal, I don't think this would impact a possible Rolen trade.

I disagree, honestly. If it really is about 10 million, I just can't see the Brewers picking up another 8-12 million (depending on what the Cards would pick up), even if it's only 2008 that they'd double-up. I think it makes it considerably more likely that we'll be looking to bring in someone making little (Teahen, Ethier, LaRoche) rather than have anything to do with Rolen.

Parra is going to be in Nashville.

Wanna put some money on that?

Right now its between Capuano, Bush and Parra. Parra has an option remaining its unlikely they'll stick him in the pen unless they changed their minds about his arm again.

Its also easier to limit Parra in Nashville because the pressure to win isn't there.

Archived