Brewer Fanatic

Eric Gagne: Latest - 1yr/10M?

TURBO

Does anyone know what type of stuff Gagne throws? Or for that matter, the stuff of: Mota, Riske, and Torres?

If this deal goes through, props to Doug Melvin.

Potential Bullpen Arms:

Cl: Gagne

SU Turnbow

SU Riske

MR Torres

MR Mota

MR Wise

MR Aquino

MR McClung

LHP Shouse

LHP Stetter

Darkhorse: Luis Pena/ Steve Bray

LR One of: Capuano/Vargas/Bush/Parra (whoever doesn't make the rotation or get traded)

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Like I've stated before repeatedly, I would, and do love this move. I do think he was put under too much pressure in Boston to succeed and just became to nervous. In Milwaukee he can relax with not that much media and do his thing. I love this move.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting them to go out and get Valverde or anything, but I thought T-Bow could be a relatively effective closer again as a reclamation project of sorts...I guess I just think it's funny that everyone os so down on old Derrick when Gagne's recent history has been as bad or worse (although obviously he was amazing some years ago now).

As someone else said, this could have a nice impact for the Brewers next year, assuming it's a 1-year deal. Gagne has a great shot to be a Type-B or Type-A FA again, thus giving the Brewers possible additional draft picks as well.

Just saying, it's another reason to possibly like the deal.

I do think he was put under too much pressure in Boston to succeed and just became to nervous. In Milwaukee he can relax with not that much media and do his thing. I love this move.

Because Milwaukee crowds sure treated the relief corps with kid gloves last year, right?

Yeah, but Kolb wasn't ever in a free agent or extension situation with the Brewers. He was a waiver claim. I don't think Melvin probably ever had to do any dealing with Boras.

I do think he was put under too much pressure in Boston to succeed and just became to nervous. In Milwaukee he can relax with not that much media and do his thing. I love this move.

There's just been entirely too much emphasis put on his Boston stint. Man, he barely even was there. It's meaningless as far as I'm concerned. He's being brought to Milwaukee to be put under extreme pressure and succeed.

Wow our bullpen will be much improved from last seasons:

Opening Day Last Year

Cordero

Turnbow

Wise

Dessens

Aquino

Shouse

Villenueva

This Year's Opening Day Bullpen (looks to be a lot deeper)

Gagne

Riske

Torres

Mota

Turnbow

Wise

Shouse

wow. deeper, maybe, but you can't expect any of them to perform as well as Cordero did in the most important bullpen role of all. I don't see how mota and torres will be ahead of turnbow in the pecking order, either. It's possible that we end up viewing mota and/or torres much as we viewed Dessens last season. I'm not sure that Gagne is just given the closer role, either.

Yeah, but Kolb wasn't ever in a free agent or extension situation with the Brewers. He was a waiver claim. I don't think Melvin probably ever had to do any dealing with Boras.

There's just been entirely too much emphasis put on his Boston stint. Man, he barely even was there. It's meaningless as far as I'm concerned. He's being brought to Milwaukee to be put under extreme pressure and succeed.

You're forgetting the Return of Kolb!!!! when he was gotten in trade with Atlanta for Obermueller. That said Melvin has been working with Boras on LaPorta after all.

Why can't you expect Gagne to pitch well? He was terrible with Boston but that was only 18 innnings, everyone here seems to forget that he was lights out for 33 innings at the start of the year. He was also very good in '06. Besides 18 innings with Boston the only thing that has ever been wrong with Gagne is health. I know everyone knows what he did fro 02-04, but don't let the whole East Coast media thing and 18 innings taint your thoughts on a good reliever. Even with the stats in Boston he still had a very solid year. He was far from having a terrible '07.

Derrick Turnbow just walks too many people it's plain and simple. I will say that part of Turnbow's problem is the way that Ned Yost used him, but the last time I checked the manager is unfortunately still there. I don't know how you can say Gagne was worse than Turnbow.

Texas Gagne - 8.5 K/9, 3.5 BB/9, 41.8% GB, 84.3% LOB, 4.19 xFIP, .761 DER

Boston Gagne - 9.6 K/9, 3.9 BB/9, 33.3% GB, 62.5% LOB, 4.21 xFIP, .561 DER

The Boston numbers sure look like bad luck and the Rangers numbers look like good luck. I think his reality was somewhere between the two. He was not lights out for Texas and he wasn't terrible for Boston.

Texas Gagne - 8.5 K/9, 3.5 BB/9, 41.8% GB, 84.3% LOB, 4.19 xFIP, .761 DER
Boston Gagne - 9.6 K/9, 3.9 BB/9, 33.3% GB, 62.5% LOB, 4.21 xFIP, .561 DER

The Boston numbers sure look like bad luck and the Rangers numbers look like good luck. I think his reality was somewhere between the two. He was not lights out for Texas and he wasn't terrible for Boston.
Those numbers will improve in Milwaukee (NL) and a little less of a hitters park than those two.

Wise won't be in pen next year. You are leaving out other better options such as Choate, McClung, Parra, or Vargas. Gagne signing should mean the end of Wise.

Choate is better than Wise? McClung is better than Wise?

I think Parra will be in the rotation and Vargas will be traded.

Seriously, look at Matt Wise's stats for the last three years. The guy has had ERAs of 4.19, 3.86, and 3.36.

There is no way Wise should not be in the pen, and especially no way that he should be given up for nothing. He is a solid relief pitcher, and had a better year last year than Mota and Torres (despite his poor finish to the year).

Archived