Brewer Fanatic

Eric Gagne: Latest - 1yr/10M?

TURBO
  • Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder how much the Linebrink trade has to do with Melvin trying to stock up on the bullpen. Perhaps he realized the insane cost of pitching at the trade deadline and dosen't want to have to be in the same position again, where you have to trade 3 valuable pieces for 1 player and picks.

Gagne was a type B free agent, if it is a 1 year deal, and Gagne has a very good season, that will probably move up to a type A netting the Brewers multiple picks. I know im getting ahead of myself but it's a good time to be a Brewer fan.

If it works out that way this would be a phenomenal move by Melvin. Not only would we have a great closer but we'd get nice picks after one year. Of course, there are a ton of hurdles between that, beginning with him actually signing and then him being healthy and pitching well. Still Gagne would be a great risk to take after finally being at least moderately healthy last season following a couple years of sitting on the bench.

Just saying the title is a little miss leading.
Well, the title of the Yahoo! article is "Gagne to sign with Brewers" - so at least they match! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Yahoo! has a rumors section - and this isn't posted in the rumor section. So I feel very confident. However, you are correct - it doesn't sound 100% official yet.

(But then, how long did it take for the Riske deal to be "official")

Unless I am missing this I dont see a link saying this is for sure yet

There's one in the first post of this thread that has this exact headline.

I just thought it was kept in the Rumors section until it was finalized. But hey its not my board I just post here. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

hopefully it's a 1 year + an option. If he pitches well, i'd love to have him around for a 2nd year. Either way, once this gets finalized our bullpen won't be looking too bad. Doug is very quietly and very quickly addressing all of our needs. I have a feeling that another move (Rolen, please) will be coming very shortly.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I'm all for this, if the terms are not insane. If this comes to pass, and Torres plays next season, you have to love the way Melvin has carpet bombed the bullpen. Think of whichever reliever drove you nuts last year....no matter who you're thinking of, that player is now virtually irrelevant.

It's a lot of used cars out there, but it's an affordable approach, with a lot of upside. If Cordero had signed here, we'd probably have him surrounded with a mess, this way, we have a long list of good possibilities.

The only way I won't like this is if Melvin caved and gave Boras a rotten deal.

I'm not sure on that article... it says the Rangers pulled out because they couldn't give Gagne a two year deal. But it says that the Brewers deal with him is "likely" for one year. That doesn't make a lot of sense.

If it's one year, I don't really care if it's for $10 million. The Brewers need to start signing some of these "sunk cost" deals - there's no risk at all if you've got the money available (the same reason why I love the Jones/LAD signing).

I'm looking forward to letting my goatee go for a few months if this happens, though.

I wasn't that impressed with the additions of Mota, Riske, and Torres because I think at least one of those guys isn't any good anymore, and there still was the questions about who was going to close games, and quite frankly, I don't think Turnbow is a serious option. Sure, you can put him in there, but I doubt there is anyone in the world that would put money down on Turnbow making it all year without a complete meltdown like he's had the past two years. The addition of Gagne would really be nice because at least it shows that all the Turnbow is our closer talk is just BS.

Still a rumor, but it's looking promising,

Gagne headed to Brewers

By Tom Haudricourt
Saturday, Dec 8 2007, 02:33 PM

As I suggested in an earlier blog this morning, the Brewers are closing in on a deal with free agent reliever Eric Gagne.

I haven't been able to get in touch with general manager Doug Melvin, who sometimes screens calls when he's not ready to comment on a player move. I did talk to an associate of Scott Boras, the agent for Gagne, who said they weren't ready to comment on the situation.

If Gagne wasn't coming to Milwaukee, Boras' office would have denied it. The fact that they declined comment tells you a deal is in the works, I guarantee you.

Yahoo.com Sports apparently has the same information I do because that web site also is reporting that Gagne is headed to the Brewers.

This apparently will be a one-year deal. Melvin made it clear to me at the winter meetings that he wouldn't go beyond one year, and if Boras got the money he wanted, he probably accepted.

Assuming Pittsburgh reliever Salomon Torres, who was acquired Friday, doesn't retire as he was considering, the Brewers have greatly enhanced the back of their bullpen after the free-agent defections of set-up man Scott Linebrink and closer Francisco Cordero.

Melvin now has acquired late-inning relievers Guillermo Mota, David Riske, Torres and Gagne. Toss them in with the arms already in the bullpen, including set-up man Derrick Turnbow, and the Brewers will have all kinds of options at the back end of their bullpen in 2008

http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archive/2007/12/08/gagne-headed-to-brewers.aspx

I suppose I'm for this, but we sure are picking up a lot of guys who had terrible 2007s. Everybody now wants to kiss T-Bow goodbye, but was his 2007 (heck, his 2006) that much worse than Gagne's?

Everybody's posts about most of the the Crew's off-season acquisitions seem to use the word "rebound" a lot. Uff da.

SeriesFinale, that is a valid point, but I guess the Brewers really aren't in a realistic position to get a reliever who had a tremendous 2007 without giving up the farm in a trade. Melvin has had a good track record with "reclamation projects" in the past.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived