Brewer Fanatic

Eric Gagne: Latest - 1yr/10M?

TURBO
  • Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is the story they are getting their information from, the Dallas Morning News Rangers blog.

December 7, 2007

Going, going Gagne

The Rangers have announced that they are dropping out of the bidding for free agent Eric Gagne. While no specific reason was given, Jon Daniels said Thursday he hoped to have closure on some issues quickly. The Rangers were not willing to give Gagne two guaranteed seasons. Sounds like either the money demands for a one-year deal have gone beyond the Rangers' comfort zone or Scott Boras has told the Rangers he has a two-year offer on the table for Gagne. No word yet on how this will impact the Rangers' bullpen setup.

http://rangers.beloblog.com/archives/2007/12/going_going_gagne.html

I'm all for a 2 year deal, what is the hold up Doug?

work that phone!

I'm in for 2 years as well, but I guess it really depends on the $$! 2/$8 would be wonderful. 2/$20 would be not so wonderful..... Seriously, I would have to believe we're involved a little bit. Can anyone else confirm that Gagne has until tomorrow to accept/decline the arby offer from Boston?

Maybe one year deal with a vesting option if he makes a certain number of appearances or gets a certain number of saves? I'd be cool with that. 1 year $7 million with a vesting option if he makes 50-60 appearances it kicks in and he makes $8-9 million the next year.

Maybe one year deal with a vesting option if he makes a certain number of appearances or gets a certain number of saves? I'd be cool with that. 1 year $7 million with a vesting option if he makes 50-60 appearances it kicks in and he makes $8-9 million the next year.

I like this option (not sure about the exact $$). Kind of a compromise between what we'd prefer (1 year) and what Gagne's looking for (2 years). It sure doesn't appear that there are many teams competing for his services, so I'd almost expect something to happen with the Crew in the next few days, right?

Again I think it is profoundly inaccurate to try and pass off what Doug is doing as being cheap. I think he really has some understanding that relief pitchers are very flaky and committing to too many for long term deals can come back to hurt you, especially if by next year he's looking to lock up more of the young positional talent.

I really think Gagne is one of the final pieces to the off-season. Give him 2 years with incentives or an option, similar maybe to Kendall's contract. Gagne, along with Turnbow, Riske, Torres, Shouse, Stetter, Mota, McClung, Pena, Wise, and one or two of the starters who dont get traded would be a bullpen I could live with. Much better depth. It may be scary down the stretch with head cases like Gagne and Turnbow, but we will have to deal with that when it comes.

Then just go out and get a third baseman or a left fielder and we are set in my mind.

yeah i know he doesnt have a proven track record he was actually good with the Dodgers in 2004, I was just implying that after last year we may be worried about how he will hold up down the stretch. Not saying anything will happen but it didnt inspire a ton of confidence, especially when your backup plan would be Turnbow. But, Brett you are right head case was too harsh of a word

Looking at secondary numbers it really doesn't look like there is much gap between Gagne and Cordero. Cordero has been fairly consistent with his secondary numbers, but last year at 32 he was extra good and that really is not sustainable, Gagne's season long number for last year are actually only a notch below Cordero's career averages. Which is my way of saying that I would predict for next year that there would be about 1 wins worth of difference between the two. Given the pay gap I'd say that this is a pretty good value and as I argued in a different thread were better off with Doug giving Ned lot's of solid options, and making it difficult for him to put in a bad reliever or overwork the only "good" reliever.

Yeah, a 12 man bullpen would be something. But 8 is the maximum the Brewers will have.

I know a 13 man staff(SP+RP) is the most I've heard one team carry. However, can we realistically limit the bench to 4 position players, 3 excluding the backup catcher?

I just saw this news on Yahoo!
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Archived