Brewer Fanatic

Eric Gagne: Latest - 1yr/10M?

TURBO

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rob_bradford/index.php/2007/12/06/lobby-blogging-the-gagne-watch/

There could be a semi-interesting development taking place tomorrow when Eric Gagne has to decide whether or not to accept arbitration from the Red Sox. It was thought that Gagne would rather take his chances in the free agent market place than come back to Boston. But according to one of the teams which had engaged in talks with the reliever's agent, Scott Boras, the Gagne camp is insinuating that he might very well accept arbitration.

This all could very well be posturing for Gagne, who would figure to still a shot at closing with a team like Milwaukee or Texas at a healthy rate. But there is also the possibility that Gagne will be part of what figures to be a trend tomorrow, in which more players than usual accept arbitration.

If Gagne does accept arbitration, the Red Sox' offer can be no more than 20 percent below the $6 million salary he received last season. It is a scenario the Sox could live with, however, considering Gagne would offer some (although not a lot) trade value.

I could live with the idea of closer "by committee" if it meant Turnbow & Gagne....chances are one of them will have a good year.

He called the Brewers a AAA ball club. I believe we were on our way to a 106 loss season around that time. It was difficult for Brewer fans to swallow, but the truth was - at that time - we got no respect because we earned no respect. Luckily, times change. I can forgive EG in a heartbeat because he wasn't far off in his assessment, though you'd hope he'd keep those kind of comments to himself.

On the other hand a guy like Ken Griffey Jr - who goes out of his way to tell people how much he hates the city of Milwaukee gets on my nerves. We get it Ken, not enough night clubs and tall buildings for your tastes.

20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

We get it Ken, not enough strip clubs and tall buildings for your tastes.

Fixed.

If there's anything the Gold Club trial taught me, it's that athletes value this more than anything. God forbid if you only have a good art museum, lakefront, nice people, etc.

He called the Brewers a AAA ball club. I believe we were on our way to a 106 loss season around that time. It was difficult for Brewer fans to swallow, but the truth was - at that time - we got no respect because we earned no respect. Luckily, times change. I can forgive EG in a heartbeat because he wasn't far off in his assessment, though you'd hope he'd keep those kind of comments to himself.

On the other hand a guy like Ken Griffey Jr - who goes out of his way to tell people how much he hates the city of Milwaukee gets on my nerves. We get it Ken, not enough night clubs and tall buildings for your tastes.

So long as Gagne got outs, people here would very quickly forget any comments he made in the past.

Randy Moss did his fake moon in Green Bay as a Viking, Packer fans quickly would have cheered him the minute he caught TD passes.

The Moss and Gagne comparison holds a lot of water. Both were well on their way to Cooperstown-type careers before being waylaid by injuries, indifference, and a perception of ineptitude. Moss....ask any GB fan how he feels about the sit. Gagne... we'll see in about four months.

At this point, with all the money we had come off the books, it's almost insulting to hear that the team is dragging its feet in acquiring players that don't cost much (or anything) in return aside from $. It's not like Gagne is demanding a 6-year contract.

This, ladies & gentlemen, is the same front office that felt $3.2 mil. was a palatable risk for Guillermo Mota. It irritates me that that's an ok flier, but a guy who's been significantly better makes Doug & Co. worried.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I have to believe Paplebon will remain a closer for the rest of his career much like converted starter to closer billy Wagner. gagne has to realize this as well. There is not way he is going to beat paplebon out of his closer's role. So is gagne content pitching for the Bo Sox as a set-up man with timlin? or does he clamour for a bigger role with a lesser team? gagne looked fully recovered when pitching in texas - a hitter's park, then fell apart in Boston. I would agree i'd much rather have gagne over mota. I actually think the risk is lower with Gagne, and the ceiling is 10x as high. I am wondering ... how many other teams were interested in Gagne when Texas signed him last year? How muc h money would gagne as k for? I don't want to know how muc h people think he's worth. but how much would the brewers have to pay him? i would really like t o kee p Turnbow i n his current set-up role.

Gagne looked fully recovered when pitching in texas - a hitter's park, then fell apart in Boston.

The nice part though is that it was only 18 2/3 IP in Boston, and really only two appearances that 'ruined' his tenure there. He gave up that GS to lose @ Toronto, and then I think there was really only one other game where he was terrible.

His BBs were a tad high last year, so that makes me wary. However, his xFIP & FIP in 2007 with TExas were almost literally identical to their direct counterparts when he was with Bos., and in both cases were quite solid. He's one guy I'd love to see Melvin sign soon rather than try to wait - unless he has a trade in the works/plans.

How muc h money would gagne as k for?

If Riske got 3/$13 mil. +, & Linebrink got roughly 4/$20, you'd have to guess at least 3/$15 for Gagne.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'd still love to see Gagne. Yeah he's lost some speed on his fastball after the arm injuries and he's never going to win a Cy Young again but he was pretty dang good for Texas and was healthy the entire year except for that leg injury or something that put him on the DL for a few weeks. But he was still hitting 93-94 with his fastball in Texas, I didn't see him pitch in Boston.

add me to the "get Gagne" group...

He is a high risk, high reward guy, and if he wants to feel appreciated again, I think brewers fans can handle that chore...

I say go get him, spend some money and solve the closer problem right here and now!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Couldn't you say the same thing about Turnbow?

Of course you could but I think the main point is we need more bullpen arms because Mota, Wise, Shouse, Turnbow, Riske and whoever else just isn't going to be that good.

Archived