Brewer Fanatic

Play Doug Melvin - If you could add one player...

Rolen just makes so much sense for so many reasons that have already been debated over and over and over again. Any solution that drastically improves third base (which won't take much based on the numbers) will improve the team significantly, but that could be done easily in-house with Hall (or Hardy as some have suggested).

However I'm going with Huston Street. There's no way the Brewers are serious about moving forward with Turnbow as the team's closer, just because they made a very aggressive offer to keep Cordero and have seemingly asked about every single so-called available closer out there. Street is plenty young, and the price in trade would be steep, but if there's a closer that I'd be willing to make an aggressive and potentially risky trade for it would be him.

Fuentes would probably be a close second, just because I really believe the bullpen can't be considered anything but a mess until a legitimate late-inning arm is acquired. And Riske should replace Linebrink for the 2007 Brewers, not Cordero.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I could add one player, I'd add Ben Sheets for 30 starts. If I have to trade for one player, since I think almost every guy used/s PEDs, I'm not factoring that in. Ben Sheets for Dan Haren. I saw Haren pitch in ST in '06, and was blown away. His '07 was very nice, and he's been healthy. Every offseason I want to believe that Sheets will get 30 starts, but this time I just don't know. Having to plan on only 25 really stinks, since he's so good. And I know the injuries are not the arm/shoulder variety.

(ideally my deal would include Hall & Swisher)

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

You'd have to part with Sheets to get him....

That's how Colletti's trying to make it sound at present, but I'm not 100% sure. The Dodgers pretty much have to trade an outfielder, and it's going to be one of the kids, because Pierre is untradeable and because their clubhouse has already had pretty significant vet/rook strife. Being as stupid as is conceivable, it looks like they've opted to side with Luis Gonzalez and Jeff Kent, who must seem obviously more important to the team's future than Kemp and Loney, at least to someone as dumb as Ned Colletti.

Now, lots of teams will want Kemp, so I'm not saying the Dodgers have no bargaining power, but knowing your prospective trading partner has little choice but to make a trade (i.e. the status quo is unsustainable for the Dodgers) really increases your negotiating leverage.

Now, lots of teams will want Kemp, so I'm not saying the Dodgers have no bargaining power, but knowing your prospective trading partner has little choice but to make a trade (i.e. the status quo is unsustainable for the Dodgers) really increases your negotiating leverage.

Dodgers do not have to move him at all. They might play him and Either in RF as a platoon this year. Dodgers have a lot of money and for them to make a move it will have to be for a pretty good player. Kemp will go only if he is packaged for a player like Bedard.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

"he's the same player as Fukudome...but he costs less and is more proven in the states... "

How do you know he's the same player if only one is proven in the states?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

One guy?

Carl Crawford.

He takes over CF, Billy moves back where he belongs, at 3B, Braun to LF.

To acquire his services?

Send Tampa Irribarren, Gamel and Parra. It's steep, but then your batting order is arguably the best in the NL.

I'd be pretty surprised to get Crawford without having to give up Yo or CV in the deal.

Archived