Brewer Fanatic

Play Doug Melvin - If you could add one player...

Matt Kemp. Even with his OBP tied so closely to his BA, he is the best young OF available. And unless we can convince the Pirates to trade Jason Bay within the division...would Capuano/Gamel be enough? I just recently found out we have the ability to take on 3years/$36mil so his contract wouldn't be an issue, and they are supposedly looking at third base prospects (though Gamel is only a third baseman in the loosest of senses). Nevertheless...Matt Kemp.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) Kemp, unless you have to part with Sheets to get him.

2) Rolen, once the Cards realize how fortunate they were to find anyone willing to take on (most of?) his contract and venture into the land of reasonability.

3) If neither 1 nor 2 is possible, out of this year's FA class, I'd take Mike Cameron at an amphetamine discount or Milton Bradley at an injured sociopath discount before I'd give any money to Kenny Lofton.

Kearns doesn't solve Braun, unless the Brewers are willing to commit to Hall at third. At this point for us to sign an OF, I want to know Hall is going back to the IF.

Agreed. I'd only want Kearns if Hall would in turn move to third.

Aaron Rowand, Billy back to 3rd...life is good.

Agreee on Rowand to fill the CF void. Hall to left for two reasons. Braun deserves one more year at 3B and Bill Hall is not a great defensive infielder that some think he is.

Rowand vs. Cameron:

last 4 years by OPS+ (friendliest endpoint for Rowand)
Rowand: 123, 86, 93, 130
Cameron: 103, 121, 114, 104

Both excellent CFers by reputation, both within 2 runs of average CFer by combined BIS/STATS zone rating last year.

Likely required salary: (yeah I'm guessing)
Rowand: $13 - 16 mil per, 4-5 years
Cameron $5 - 8 mil per, 2-3 years

Anybody else see Baseball Prospectus's new fielding stat SFR? Braun checks in at -40 (!) on that. I really hope that's an error in the system, but wow!

So, a Gold Glove quality third baseman that can swing the bat at least average for the position is my wish. I'll take my chances on Rolen, since the opportunity cost of not upgrading third base defensively is huge.

Robert

Can I cheat and say one of Bedard, Kazmir, or Haren.

I think the Brewers focus has been wrong so far this off-season. We should be finding a future ace to pair with and then replace Sheets next year. The three above could all be available. We have a developing, good young offensive core already. We don't need a high risk medium reward guy like Rolen.

Bill Hall should be the guy to move back to third if we can't find another cheap replacement. Braun should move to left regardless, he obviously approached Doug and said he would move which shows how much confidence he has in being a good third baseman (that, and will do what's best for the team).

Plus I would be fine with Gwynn in center, at least he'll play solid defense, and possibly grow as an offensive player as well. If not, sign Steve Finley for all I care, we can afford to have below average offensive players at 1 or 2 positions like every other team does, save the Tigers.

Wow. I wonder what the difference in runs would be going from Braun to Rolen. We could potentially go from losing 4 games (-40) to winning two games. That is a swing of 6 wins!

That right there is why adding Rolen would be such a good move. On defense alone we would gain about 5-6 wins. Add to that fact that he will probably get on base at a better rate than our left fielders did last season, and this is a no brainer.

With hopeful defensive improvements at 2B, 1B, CF, and C, improving defense alone may make us much better than last year. This should also help our pitchers, who should be able to go longer in games, without the errors/mistakes of our fielders. Meaning less stress on our relief pitchers.

Bill Hall should be the guy to move back to third if we can't find another cheap replacement. Braun should move to left regardless, he obviously approached Doug and said he would move which shows how much confidence he has in being a good third baseman (that, and will do what's best for the team).

When did Bill Hall play a full year at 3B and prove he can handle the spot? Did I miss something in the last 3 seasons?

Braun has stated he is a team player and is willing to do what it takes to have this team win. It doesn't show that he lacks confidence in that he can be a 3B for the Brewers. It shows that he is not selfish and going to be a headcase like so many young players. I remeber seeing post that people worried about his attitude on his homeruns and how he went about getting around the bases. Kid took his beaning and moved on like the ball player he is. There is a lot to said on how he carried himself last year with all the stuff going on around him.

I sort of would like Hall at third too, but really the only year he saw somewhat decent time there was in '05. 59 games, 6 errors, .953, not bad but I don't remember much about the range at third. I guess you could also say he played decently at SS with his .967 in '06, but again I'm not sure how great his range was, I don't really remember. I don't know, I think I would go with Hall at third and Braun in left, Hart in center and figure out something for right, maybe Gross/Dillon even though that sort of smells like Counsellino. This is why I'm not a manager or GM though.

My first option would be Street, although I don't think I'd be willing to give up what the A's would want in return. If they'd take Bush/Vargas and any of our prospects (Gamel, Escobar, ZachJack, Gillespie) that would be great. Otherwise count me in for signing Gagne if he doesn't accept arbitration.

I think our bats are good enough. Keep Braun at 3rd and our other outfield spot in house with either TGJ or Gross.

When did Bill Hall play a full year at 3B and prove he can handle the spot? Did I miss something in the last 3 seasons?

Braun has stated he is a team player and is willing to do what it takes to have this team win. It doesn't show that he lacks confidence in that he can be a 3B for the Brewers. It shows that he is not selfish and going to be a headcase like so many young players. I remeber seeing post that people worried about his attitude on his homeruns and how he went about getting around the bases. Kid took his beaning and moved on like the ball player he is. There is a lot to said on how he carried himself last year with all the stuff going on around him.

I also did state in my previous post in (parentheses) that Braun is showing that he is a team player by moving to LF if needed to make the team better. My personal interpretation of the situation is that he doesn't have the confidence right now, otherwise why would he volunteer to move without being asked to? That doesn't make sense to me, why would he offer to switch to another position he has never played before? Although I don't have stats to prove that Hall will be better than Braun defensively at third I can't imagine he would be worse and he is an in-house solution.

My personal interpretation of the situation is that he doesn't have the confidence right now, otherwise why would he volunteer to move without being asked to?

Melvin asked him if he'd be open to moving to LF, and Braun said he'd do it if it helps the team.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

One guy?

Carl Crawford.

He takes over CF, Billy moves back where he belongs, at 3B, Braun to LF.

To acquire his services?

Send Tampa Irribarren, Gamel and Parra. It's steep, but then your batting order is arguably the best in the NL.

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

One guy?

Carl Crawford.

He takes over CF, Billy moves back where he belongs, at 3B, Braun to LF.

To acquire his services?

Send Tampa Irribarren, Gamel and Parra. It's steep, but then your batting order is arguably the best in the NL.

I highly highly doubt that Tampa would accept that offer Geno

Archived