Brewer Fanatic

Alex Rios (merged with Rios/Lincecum rumor)

TURBO

Now THIS I can get on board with...

If this guy is available, maybe we should throw our hat into the ring...

http://mlb-rumors.blogspot.com/2007/12/indians-interested-in-rios.html

Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Indians Interested In Rios?

http://bp3.blogger.com/_Z856xFv3nj4/R1X-4LD8b5I/AAAAAAAADKI/pbdEK9xbDuQ/s200/rios.jpgThe Indians are working very hard to acquire Alex Rios, according to sources. Although the Blue Jays are slowing the process, it is possible we could see something happen. The Indians seem happy to include Franklin Gutierrez, but will probably have to include another solid player to get anything done. We could see the Padres package two or three prospects for Rios and Josh Towers if they cannot land Fukudome, but I think they have the best chance of landing him so we will see.

Now that the Giants have missed out on Miguel Cabrera, they will turn their attention to Scott Rolen. I think this deal can get done. The Giants and Cardinals both are looking for change and could get something done this week. The Giants could probably offer Noah Lowry, Daniel Ortmeier, and Henry Sosa for Rolen, but the Cardinals might want more talent.

Are the Twins interested in Corey Patterson? He will come at a reduced price because he struggled this season but lefties do well in the Metrodome, and bringing him in, although it will not be the same as Torii Hunter, might turn out to be okay.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I was just going to throw his name out there after reading that the Jays are listening to offers. We've had success dealing with them in the past. Sounds like "at least two high-level prospects" in return. We'd probably need to part with CV or Parra and then some, but it may just be worth pursuing. It would solve our OF situation!

1:57 p.m., from Jayson Stark

• The Giants and Blue Jays have a deal on the table that would send outfielder Alex Rios to San Francisco for pitcher Tim Lincecum. But the Blue Jays appear to be more motivated to make that trade than the Giants. Two baseball men who spoke with the Giants describe them as being "indecisive" about whether they really want to move Lincecum for a big bat and, if they do, about whom they should get for him. Toronto has decided its best strategy to survive in the loaded AL East is to stockpile as many power arms as possible. So the Blue Jays would sacrifice offense if they could pick up an arm like Lincecum.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?name=winter_meetings

on a side note, why on earth would the Giants trade either Matt Cain or Tim Lincecum? those two seem like guys i'd be building around rather than looking to deal

Agree with you there. It is surprising that they're names are coming up somewhat frequently this offseason.

1:57 p.m., from Jayson Stark

• The Giants and Blue Jays have a deal on the table that would send outfielder Alex Rios to San Francisco for pitcher Tim Lincecum. But the Blue Jays appear to be more motivated to make that trade than the Giants.

It seems pretty crazy to me why the Giants would do that straight up. Rios is a great hitter but how often do guys like Lincecum come along? Although it would definitely help the Giants putrid offense, especially when it's Bonds-less.

Edit: Jinx

Barry bonds left a huge void that needs to be filled both in the batting order, and in the local marketing of the Giants. The giants have a history of having a great superstar hitter who plays for the team for a long time. Rios would be the next in line after Mays, mc Covey and bonds. Rios will put people in the seats. Lincucum may win 20 games, but big superstar hitters like rios attract people to the games. They don't call that pond Marichal Cove.

Who would you rather go see at Miller Park? Sheets or Fielder? Santana or Fielder? Beckett or Fielder? I think the giants ownership came to the same conclusion.

Chicks dig the long ball; and thre are a lot of chicks that live in San Francisco.

Corey Hart for Lincecum?

Ben Sheets for Matt Kemp + ?

Sign Kosuke Fukedome?

I know we all would hate to see Hart leave, but Lincecum is something special. If their looking at Rios, why not Hart? Pair that up with the other two transactions there and we could really have a nice rotation and a nice outfield. It probably won't happen but nonetheless.

Corey Hart for Lincecum?

Sign Kosuke Fukedome?

I know we all would hate to see Hart leave, but Lincecum is something special. If their looking at Rios, why not Hart? Pair that up with the other two transactions there and we could really have a nice rotation and a nice outfield. It probably won't happen but nonetheless.

Hart isn't Rios (at least not yet).

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Hart is probably better than Rios offensively.....and Hart is a year younger.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Hart is probably better than Rios offensively.....and Hart is a year younger.
Reading that made me look at their stats from last year and I'm pretty surprised by how similar they are. Personally, given the fact that he is a year younger, I'd take Hart. I would be pretty tempted to trade Hart for Lincecum or Cain.

Now if Jones to the Dodgers, that could make Kemp with a Sheets trade more of a possibility...

Corey Hart for Lincecum?

Sign Kosuke Fukedome?

1. Yovanni

2. Tim Lincecum

3. Jeff Supan

4. Carlos Villanueva

5. Manny Parra / Cappy

LF- Kosuke Fukedome

CF- Matt Kemp / Billy Hall

RF - Ryan Braun / Matt Kemp

jez that'd be sweet. Unload Sheets get a good return, sign a high OBP guy like Fukedome, get Kemp and Lincecum. That rotation could be like scary good in 1-2 years.

Alex Rios? (*slobber*)

Wow. Now THAT'S a great #3 OBP-type hitter!

I'd offer Parra and someone blocked by a young major leaguer like Irribarren.

If they ask for Parra AND Villanueva, I ask for a Jesse Litsch, too.

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

Alex Rios? (*slobber*)

So why do we need a #3 hitter again? And Hart would be a better #3 hitter than Rios and we wouldn't have to give up anything to get him!

Alex Rios? (*slobber*)

So why do we need a #3 hitter again? And Hart would be a better #3 hitter than Rios and we wouldn't have to give up anything to get him!

I enjoy reading Geno's posts generally, but agree with you that i just don't get him continually feeling we need to add a guy to bat third when Braun will be hitting there the next four or five years.

What the lineup needs isn't a three hole bat, they need a guy to bat second that gets on base in front of Braun/Fielder. Those two are going to bat 3rd/4th until/if the day comes that Fielder chases bigger money in free agency. If we do somehow end up with Rolen, he' not going to bat third like Geno wanted, nor should he. So long as we can find a player to bat second that gets on base, the lineup will be set and deadly with

Weeks

OBP guy

Braun

Fielder

Hart

If we did get Rolen and he showed he could get on base, he'd be perfect to bat second or maybe 5th with Hart batting second, but i'd prefer it with Hart after Prince. If we did get Rios, which we wont, he'd be ideal batting after Weeks. Wow that lineup would be crazy good, with a mix of power and speed running the bases.

Weeks

Rios

Braun

Fielder

Hart

Hall

Hardy

Kendall

That lineup would likely end up top 3 in runs scored in the NL and maybe the top in runs if Weeks breaks out.

Archived