Brewer Fanatic

Gord Ash on XM ... Latest: Hall/Sheets to LAD per Stone?

KC Jim
  • Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I got this little tidbit over on the ESPN message board...

"CBS Sports radio is reporting that the Brewers and Dodgers are trying to hammer out a deal for one of their extra young corner out fielders. Kemp was the name I kept hearing. Names being mentioned from us were/are Parra, Vargas, Escobar or something like that at AAA. Not all of these guys but a combination of 2 of them maybe. The guys on the show were saying Vargas and Escobar. Also the Brewers have an interest in a 3rd baseman that has not been mentioned yet in trade talks. The team will not release any more info except Melvin said it may surprise some folks if they get this guy. There talk on the radio mentioned a few teams that may be looking to move 3rd baseman for pitching and of course the Sheets for Chipper Jones talk came up again. I lost reception after that but thought I would throw it all out for you guys to mull over."

If they could get Kemp for Vargas and Escobar, I'd be on the phone yesterday hammering out that deal if I were Melvin. I'm not so inclined to give up Parra, though.

I think that the 3B may be Blalock or possibly Eric Chavez. I'm sure Beane would love to get his hands on one of Milwaukee's young starters like Villenueva, Gallardo or Parra.

Interesting comment about the unnamed 3B, but I was wonder about these reports from prominent radio shows, as if that person was the only Brewers, Dodgers or baseball hot stove fan out there that heard such a report. In this day and age when a rumor is reported, it usually catches like wildfire.

Would Capuano and Hall be enough for LaRoche, Ethier and Meloan? Ethier is really the only proven one of the three, but LaRoche and Meloan are about as proven as prospects can get with success in the upper levels of the Dodgers farm system and as part of the AFL the past couple of years.

One trade like that could solve quite a few of the Brewers perceived holes.

I got this little tidbit over on the ESPN message board...

"CBS Sports radio is reporting that the Brewers and Dodgers are trying to hammer out a deal for one of their extra young corner out fielders. Kemp was the name I kept hearing. Names being mentioned from us were/are Parra, Vargas, Escobar or something like that at AAA. Not all of these guys but a combination of 2 of them maybe. The guys on the show were saying Vargas and Escobar. Also the Brewers have an interest in a 3rd baseman that has not been mentioned yet in trade talks. The team will not release any more info except Melvin said it may surprise some folks if they get this guy. There talk on the radio mentioned a few teams that may be looking to move 3rd baseman for pitching and of course the Sheets for Chipper Jones talk came up again. I lost reception after that but thought I would throw it all out for you guys to mull over."

Has anyone confirmed this? The ESPN message boards are notoriously unreliable. Lots of people who think it's so funny to make stuff up and post it as fact. That's why I never go there any more. This is a much more reliable source of information with more knowledgeable posters in general.

If it were true, Vargas and Escobar is a no-brainer from the Brewers' perspective. For Ethier or Kemp. Kemp would really be a steal, which is why I suspect it to be false.

"Melvin said it may surprise some folks if they get this guy"

Yes, Jeff Cirillo would surprise me too.... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Vargas and Escobar could probably get you Juan Pierre with a sizable chunk of his salary picked up. No way would Vargas and Escobar get either Eithier or Kemp.

Parra, Escobar and a lower level high ceiling might be able to get Kemp, if the Dodgers are very high on Parra.

Just my opinion, but I think that most people are seeming to overvalue Brewers massively.

Vargas and Escobar could probably get you Juan Pierre with a sizable chunk of his salary picked up. No way would Vargas and Escobar get either Eithier or Kemp.

Parra, Escobar and a lower level high ceiling might be able to get Kemp, if the Dodgers are very high on Parra.

Just my opinion, but I think that most people are seeming to overvalue Brewers massively.

I don't really think so. I think most of us doubt the accuracy of this report. Some people are just thinking hopefully. That being said, Vargas and Escobar is also ridiculous - just in the opposite direction. The Dodgers would jump at the chance.

Surprised in a good way (depending on who is given up)

Atkins

Beltre

Iwamura

Meh

Figgins

Tracy

Encarnacion

Betemit

Surprised like the sudden onset of explosive diarrhea

Glaus

Fleehaw, I'm laughing so hard I'm crying. I know it's little boy, pottie humor, but that put me on the floor.

Interesting comment about the unnamed 3B, but I was wonder about these reports from prominent radio shows, as if that person was the only Brewers, Dodgers or baseball hot stove fan out there that heard such a report. In this day and age when a rumor is reported, it usually catches like wildfire.

Would Capuano and Hall be enough for LaRoche, Ethier and Meloan? Ethier is really the only proven one of the three, but LaRoche and Meloan are about as proven as prospects can get with success in the upper levels of the Dodgers farm system and as part of the AFL the past couple of years.

One trade like that could solve quite a few of the Brewers perceived holes.

As much as I'd like to think Cappy and Hall would bring those three, I'm guessing it may have to be Sheets and Hall. But then I may be wrong on the other side, which is why I still think Sheets and Hall for LaRoche, Ethier or Kemp, and Broxton isn't such a stretch. But by putting Broxton in there, we'd probably need to add something and then the deal spirals quickly out of control by having way too many players involved.

Surprised in a good way (depending on who is given up)

Atkins

Beltre

Iwamura

Meh

Figgins

Tracy

Encarnacion

Betemit

Surprised like the sudden onset of explosive diarrhea

Glaus

As mentioned in another thread (and I believe BF.net is the only place I've seen such speculation) is Teahen. KC could use another SP.

Between Broxton and Saito, which would be more liable to be dealt, the aging mystery man (he has less American baseball experience than the young fireballer) or the young prospect? Much like Zumaya has long been bred to be the future closer of the Tigers, Sexy Broxy has been LA's Man. And between Ethier and Kemp, you would have to choose Kemp, given his immense ceiling. Imagine the possibility of having 100HR's between Hart/Hall/Kemp.

Sexy Broxy?? Lets not get carried away.

Did you really just call him Sexy Broxy? Wow.

Between Broxton and Saito, which would be more liable to be dealt, the aging mystery man (he has less American baseball experience than the young fireballer) or the young prospect? Much like Zumaya has long been bred to be the future closer of the Tigers, Sexy Broxy has been LA's Man. And between Ethier and Kemp, you would have to choose Kemp, given his immense ceiling. Imagine the possibility of having 100HR's between Hart/Hall/Kemp.

Sexy Broxy?? Lets not get carried away.

Did you really just call him Sexy Broxy? Wow.

he's obviously a "chubby-chaser". most folks don't think tubs of goo are sexy.

It was more an affinity for his K/9 rate than a critique of the player. And I would think there is no way Bill Hall will be moved to the Dodgy Fellows. If he were going to play 3B, he'd be manning OUR hot corner. He can't play SS/LF/CF for them, as Furry Cal/Juanita/Andruw are all manning said positions. And, as mentioned ad nauseum, it is the epitome of selling low. He could outperform all CF's in the NL (I'm not a fan of Beltran, at all). And I think many of us are undervaluing Capuano's value in this market.

The more I read this thread the more I think the Dodgers are a better match. However, anything with them will probably have to wait until the Bedard and Haren issues are decided. For some reason I am getting more and more excited by adding LaRoche over Ethier. What would it take to get LaRoche?

If we could move Capuano straight up for Eithier or LaRoche be enough? If so who would you prefer?

that we'd have trouble landing either guy with Cappy alone. I think they're interested in Hall much more than they are Cappy. Also I'd take LaRoche over Ethier if I'm strictly looking from the Brewers perspective. Filling a gaping hole at 3B defensively and putting Braun in the OF hopefully for the long term should be our goal.

Im surprised Hall isnt been sought after as a SS, he is still young and his 2006 season at SS was great.

I believe that's where the Dodgers want him - or maybe 3B. They have Jones in CF, Kemp/Ethier/Pierre in the corners. Garciaparra, Furcal, Kent around the IF.

EDIT: Also, if the Dodgers sign Japanese pitcher Kuroda, I'd imagine they'd have nil interest in Cappy.

Archived