Brewer Fanatic

Gord Ash on XM ... Latest: Hall/Sheets to LAD per Stone?

KC Jim
  • Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too many question marks in the rotation if you move Sheets and get no pitching back.

Capuano: will he be able to bounce back from a terrible 2007?

Suppan: will age catch up to him?

Gallardo: can he repeat his great rookie campaign?

Bush: can he bounce back?

Villanueva: can he handle 180+ IP?

I think by far the biggest question is how many games will Sheets start/miss? I know the Brewers have struggled without him -- but what if they were prepared to not have him? I don't think it's fair to look at the W/L without Sheets unless you factor in the Brewers count on him -- and when you lose a piece you count on you'll be hurt. The Brewers could be more prepared without Sheets by their decision (ie a trade) than to let it chance (Sheets' getting hurt).

How about something like this?

Hall, Sheets, & Mench (could platoon with Pierre since the Dodgers signed Andruw Jones)

for

LaRoche, Kemp, Beimel, Meloan, & Loiaza (even salaries a bit)

A rotation of Sheets, Penny, Lowe, Billingsley, & possibly Schmidt should be pretty dominant. And the Dodgers seem to prefer veterans. They also keep Ethier, Broxton, & Billingsley.

LaRoche would be great in the 2-hole, Kemp bats 6th & plays RF, Hart in CF, and Braun in LF. Beimel is a solid lefty reliever and Meloan would be the Brewers closer-in-training. Loaiza could be of some value at the end of the rotation or as the long relief if he's healthy.

Sign me up.

TooLiveBrew,

part of what I mean is that he's very care-free. Fellow Fall Leaguer Andy LaRoche is goofy but VERY intense. He called Kemp out a few times for being too joyous after a loss. That's what I meant. He's just really cocky, of course he was a top prospect and very young at the time. Still, I preferred Ethier and LaRoche personally.

Fellow Fall Leaguer Andy LaRoche is goofy but VERY intense.

LaRoche goofy? He's on the left. I wonder what that girl is referring too?

http://www.dodgerblues.com/gallery/albums/userpics/normal_l_a6875a290cac815d84bae0f45530069f.jpg

But then again, here's the rest of the team:

http://www.dodgerblues.com/gallery/albums/userpics/normal_dodgers~1.jpg

Are we sure we want some of these guys?

Note Martin crouched, center, with the cape... and Kemp hunched slightly, to Martin's left, with... whatever that costume is.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

EDIT: How creative - a girl going as a slutty devil for Halloween. It's good to keep things fresh. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/eyes.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Between Broxton and Saito, which would be more liable to be dealt, the aging mystery man (he has less American baseball experience than the young fireballer) or the young prospect? Much like Zumaya has long been bred to be the future closer of the Tigers, Sexy Broxy has been LA's Man. And between Ethier and Kemp, you would have to choose Kemp, given his immense ceiling. Imagine the possibility of having 100HR's between Hart/Hall/Kemp.

My guess is, the Dodgers don't intend to deal either Saito or Broxton, but if they do move one, I think you have to keep the much younger guy.

I'm not certain the Brewers could get 100 HR from Hart/Hall/Kemp, because Hall seems to be the player LA is most focused on at the moment, he's probably gone to the Dodgers in whatever deal might happen.

Why do I think the Dodgers are trying to do Pierre and LaRoche for Hall and somebody?

I think if we make one more trade this offseason, the Dodgers are potentially a great fit, especially if they have interest in Hall and Capuano (haven't heard anything specifically on their interest in Cappy, just going on that they're looking for pitching) in return.

I'd really like the Brewers to acquire a third baseman, a lefthanded outfield bat, and another reliever this offseason and a Dodger trade could fill two or three of those needs instantly.

Here are some scenarios I wouldn't mind wrapping up our offseason with that would involve Dodger trades centered around a Capuano/Hall package (with possible prospects included).

Scenario 1

Trade for CL Saito, RF Ethier and 3B LaRoche (this would require better prospects involved, i.e. Gamel)

Scenario 2

Trade for RF Ethier and 3B LaRoche

Sign Eric Gagne

Scenario 3

Trade for CL Saito, RF Ethier

Sign Morgan Ensberg (if he's non-tendered)

Scenario 4

Trade for CL Saito, 3B LaRoche

Sign Kenny Lofton

Lineup: Weeks, Ethier/Lofton, Braun, Fielder, Hart, LaRoche/Ensberg, Hardy, Kendall

Rotation: Sheets, Gallardo, Suppan, Villanueva, Parra/Bush

Backend of Bullpen: Mota, Turnbow, Riske, Saito/Gagne

I was about to say that I really hate each and every one of those scenarios. Then I read the post properly and realized that you were talking about Cappy and not Sheets... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I was about to say that I really hate each and every one of those scenarios. Then I read the post properly and realized that you were talking about Cappy and not Sheets... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Haha, yes, that does make a huge difference!

I got this little tidbit over on the ESPN message board...

"CBS Sports radio is reporting that the Brewers and Dodgers are trying to hammer out a deal for one of their extra young corner out fielders. Kemp was the name I kept hearing. Names being mentioned from us were/are Parra, Vargas, Escobar or something like that at AAA. Not all of these guys but a combination of 2 of them maybe. The guys on the show were saying Vargas and Escobar. Also the Brewers have an interest in a 3rd baseman that has not been mentioned yet in trade talks. The team will not release any more info except Melvin said it may surprise some folks if they get this guy. There talk on the radio mentioned a few teams that may be looking to move 3rd baseman for pitching and of course the Sheets for Chipper Jones talk came up again. I lost reception after that but thought I would throw it all out for you guys to mull over."

Archived