Brewer Fanatic

Gord Ash on XM ... Latest: Hall/Sheets to LAD per Stone?

KC Jim
  • Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with the thoughts of some of you that trading away Ben Sheets now for some "sexy" names that LA has in their bullpen isn't the best idea. I just don't feel comfortable with a rotation of Gallardo, Villy, Suppan, Bush/Parra, Cappy /Vargas being able to get you to the playoffs, let alone win against the BoSox. I love the youth of the rotation but not having Sheets there even for 24-25 starts can kill you.

I guess I would rather roll the dice that Sheets (also with his contract situation too) stays healthy then deal him away which leaves you with an inexperienced rotation that might get drilled and thus all the "Broxies" that you acquire in the bullpen to strengthen that area get overworked and turn into Turnbow's.

If you could find another solid #1-#2 to come back to us in a deal or another side deal then fine, but that won't be easy.

Sheets, Hall, Cappy Gamel, Gwynn for LaRoche, Kemp, Broxton

or

Braun, Cappy, Gamel

take Braun, and the idea to trade him the hell out of here...

sheeeeeesh!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Quite frankly I like the idea that was thrown out. Simple and helps both teams. Saito for Hall.

I love Saito, I'd love to have him in Milwaukee, but I don't see that deal happening.

1. As good as Saito is, he's an older guy, while Hall is still young, and signed for three more years, that's going to matter to Melvin, no matter how anyone else feels about it.

2. If the Brewers did that, they'd need either two outfielders, or one outfielder and a third baseman, I just don't see them creating a new hole in the lineup to make this deal.

The Dodgers certainly have young players, and bullpen arms, that would get the Brewers' attention, we'll have to wait and see if the GMs are on the same page.

I like the idea of Saito in the trade, a nice short term fix, but something else needs to be added for Hall. Someone not named Pierre.

Pierre might be exactly the reason they contacted the Brewers. "Hey we know you guys were interested in Pierre last year, how about we swap him for Hall?"

That would be awful.

I didn't realize that the Dodgers have 8 different guys log time at 3b last season.

I like the OBP, but I think you do have to be a bit concerned about power, since his sole HR in the majors came at Coors field. That being said, it's really hard to get a gague on his numbers when you look at the stat logs. He didn't get a lot of consistent playing time, but he did seem to perform when he was a regular in the lineup for a week or two.

He would save a lot of runs over Braun at 3b....moreso than putting Hall at third. I would be awfully tempted to make this trade straight-up.

How about something like this?

Hall, Sheets, & Mench (could platoon with Pierre after the Dodgers sign Andruw Jones)

for

LaRoche, Ethier, Beimel, Meloan, & Loiaza (even salaries a bit)

A rotation of Sheets, Penny, Lowe, Billingsley, & possibly Schmidt should be pretty dominant. And the Dodgers seem to prefer veterans. They also keep Kemp, Broxton, & Billingsley.

LaRoche would be great in the 2-hole, Ethier bats 6th & plays RF, Hart in CF, and Braun in LF. Beimel is a solid lefty reliever and Meloan would be the Brewers closer-in-training. Loaiza could be of some value at the end of the rotation or as the long relief if he's healthy.

Sign me up.

we'll have to wait and see if the GMs are on the same page.

Thankfully for us, Doug's nowhere near Ned Colletti. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I wouldn't worry about LaRoche's power. Yes, he doesn't profile to be much more than 15-ish HR power, but that's fine with our current offense. He BBs well, keeps his Ks low, and has progressed steadily through the minors. If his defense is around 'average,' this is a guy that'd improve our squad quite a bit.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I am coming under the impression that absolutely nothing will happen the next two days.

That being said I am sure something crazy will happen. I won't be dissappointed I suppose if nothing happens today or tommorrow but I would be dissappointed if nothing happens by Spring Training. We have spare parts that people would want, sooner or later Doug has to find a suitor. After those crappy FA pitchers sign and decisions on Santana, Bedard, and Haren are made I would assume talks will pick up about Sheets, Capuano, Bush, Vargas, etc.

How about Sheets, Hall, Gamel, and Turnbow

For Kemp, Broxton, and LaRoche

Sheets for Kemp...possibly

Broxton for Hall and Gamel...ok

Turnbow for LaRoche....sure

I think this works pretty well. We won't need Gamel with LaRoche anyway.

I cant remember the last time the Dodgers traded away their prospects. They have a death drip on them. I remember when we were talking about trading Sexson and people were clamoring for Edwin Jackson, Greg Miller and Joel Hanrahan. LA wouldnt trade any of them. They eventually parted ways with Jackson and Hanrahan, but well after they had "flamed out"

I wouldnt expect them to start forking over youth for Hall and/or Sheets.

I cant remember the last time the Dodgers traded away their prospects. They have a death drip on them. I remember when we were talking about trading Sexson and people were clamoring for Edwin Jackson, Greg Miller and Joel Hanrahan. LA wouldnt trade any of them. They eventually parted ways with Jackson and Hanrahan, but well after they had "flamed out"

I wouldnt expect them to start forking over youth for Hall and/or Sheets.

They gave up Aybar to the Braves, Frasor to the Blue Jays, and.... uhh..... Pedro Martinez to the Expos http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

2. When asked about replacing CoC0 - He first mentioned Turnbow in house but was very wish washy about it, mentioned Yost was "very good" at utilizing whomever and that it didn't have to be one guy. Gord ended that by saying,"It is not our main priority right now."

Translation: We badly need a closer, but nobody has to know we think that.

2. When asked about replacing CoC0 - He first mentioned Turnbow in house but was very wish washy about it, mentioned Yost was "very good" at utilizing whomever and that it didn't have to be one guy. Gord ended that by saying,"It is not our main priority right now."

Translation: We badly need a closer, but nobody has to know we think that.

Clemenza is a vet. He knows you never let em know what you're thinking.

"And after the Brewers trade Hall they can forget about ever getting a home town discount again!"

Couldn't agree more, endaround!

This sends such a bad message to players, agents, fans... Besides, we'd be selling Hall at his low point in terms of trade value. OK, none of us expected those 75 homers he hit in 2006, but he's also not as bad as he was in '07. Billy seemed to accept his move out of the infield (I still shake my head at the idea of taking a slugging 2B/SS/3B and destroying his value by making him just another outfielder - and not a good defensive one, either), he signed for a nice agreeable amount, and what does that get him? Traded. They better not...

I would love Broxton, however, and I'm among the minority who WOULD trade Sheets, because we have some SP depth, and because he's about as sturdy as a wicker chair in a frat house.

I'd be OK with us sending Sheets to the Dodgers. But we better get back Broxton and Ethier. If we need to add a Zach Jackson or even a Mat Gamel to make it happen, then so be it.

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

"And after the Brewers trade Hall they can forget about ever getting a home town discount again!"

Couldn't agree more, endaround!

This sends such a bad message to players, agents, fans... Besides, we'd be selling Hall at his low point in terms of trade value. OK, none of us expected those 75 homers he hit in 2006, but he's also not as bad as he was in '07. Billy seemed to accept his move out of the infield (I still shake my head at the idea of taking a slugging 2B/SS/3B and destroying his value by making him just another outfielder - and not a good defensive one, either), he signed for a nice agreeable amount, and what does that get him? Traded. They better not...

Ok 75 HRs....lol.... I know you meant 35 but how did that 7 get in there those keys are not even next to each other...lol

Anyway trading Sheets KILLS this team

Did you watch last season.... in that brutal May when we were losing alot.... it was Sheets that would stop the bleeding...

Then we have the Middle of July when we get Linebrink...at that time we had the 3rd best Bull pen in the NL... what happens a week later Sheets goes down

What happens during that 6 weeks injury...our bullpen blows lead after lead after lead.... why because we had no pitcher that could get past the 6th inning

Sheets comes back for the Cub series.... pitches great... then guess what all of sudden all of our rotation guys start pitching quality game...

Yovanni goes 3-1 with a 1.60 era in Sept

Suppan pitches well in September

Villy had like a 2.00 era in the rotation in Sept

I mean then our bull pen even pitched a bit better to except for that Atlanta series....

Archived