Brewer Fanatic

Gord Ash on XM ... Latest: Hall/Sheets to LAD per Stone?

KC Jim
  • Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't want to get rid of Hall, but if we could somehow do a package and get LaRoche and Kemp, well that would be sweet. Is LaRoche legit? I seem to recall him struggling when he came up for a bit last year.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

It was just added on mlbtraderumors.com that the Dodgers have asked the Brewers about Hall. I am officially PRAYING for Andy LaRoche!!

It wouldn't surprise me if this was part of something much bigger

Dodgers get:

Ben Sheets

Bill Hall

Brewers get:

Andy LaRoche

Jonathan Broxton

Matt Kemp

That would fill all the Brewers' holes quite nicely. LaRoche is a good defender at 3B, Broxton can either set-up or close, and Kemp fills one of the corner OF vacancies. I think Hart gets shifted to CF, Kemp plays RF and Braun plays LF. Talk about power potential.

I don't want to get rid of Hall, but if we could somehow do a package and get LaRoche and Kemp, well that would be sweet. Is LaRoche legit? I seem to recall him struggling when he came up for a bit last year.

Minor League Batting Stats from TheBaseballCube:

Year Team Lg Age Org. Level Pos G AB R
2B
HR RBI SB CS BB SO

AVG OBP SLG OPS

2003 Ogden Pio 19 Mil Rk 6 19 1
0 5 0 0 1 4

.211 .238 .263 501
2004 Columbus SAL 20 La A 3b 65 244 52
13 42 12 5 29 30

.283 .375 .525 900
Vero Beach FSL 20 La A+ 3b 62 219 26
10 34 2 3 17 42

.237 .295 .434 729
2005 Vero Beach FSL 21 La A+ 3b 63 249 54
21 51 6 1 19 38

.333 .380 .651 1031
Jcksnvlle Sou 21 La AA 3b 64 227 41
9 43 2 2 32 54

.273 .367 .445 812
2006 Jcksnvlle Sou 22 La AA 3b 62 230 42
9 46 6 3 41 32

.309 .419 .483 902
Las Vegas PCL 22 La AAA 3b 55 202 35
10 35 3 2 25 32

.322 .400 .550 950
2007 Las Vegas PCL 23 La AAA 73 265 55
18 48 2 2 39 42

.309 .399 .589 988
LA Dodgers NL 23 La MLB 35 93 16
1 10 2 1 20 24

.226 .365 .312 677

Major League Totals - 1 Season(s) 35 93 16
1 10 2 1 20 24

.226 .365 .312 677
Minor League Totals - 5 Season(s) 450 1655 306
90 304 33 18 203 274

.295 .376 .525 901

Yes, he's legit.

I would love a trade involving Hall and maybe a pitcher (Vargas? Please someone take him for something!) for LaRoche. Maybe even involve Gamel if we can get some relief pitching back as well. But I'd still like to see the outfield hole filled with a left-handed bat even though Kemp has done pretty well against righties so far. I'd love to grab Luke Scott from the Astros (Maybe if I keep bringing it up, it will happen...). If we can get LaRoche and Scott for a combination of Hall, Vargas, Capuano and filler going to LA and Houston, I'd be pretty stoked: Weeks, Scott, Braun, Fielder, Hart, LaRoche, Hardy, Kendall

It was just added on mlbtraderumors.com that the Dodgers have asked the Brewers about Hall.
You do realize that when Melvin is interview again at some point today he will say that he has not spoken with LA and that no one has approached him regarding Hall.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

There could be, but the roadblock to me is that we'd need a pretty good SP included in the deal. I wouldn't swap Sheets/Hall for Broxton/LaRoche due to the gaping hole we'd have in the rotation. In fact, losing Hall in CF would be a bit troublesome, too, as we're already searching for an OF. It'd depend on what we'd be able to get, obviously. If either Kemp or Ethier were included, then I'd feel better about losing Hall.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

mentioned Yost was "very good" at utilizing whomever and that it didn't have to be one guy.

Oh dear. Gotta disagree with Gord on that one - but I like to hear that they're not committed to one player there.

That would fill all the Brewers' holes quite nicely.

And create a gigantic one in the starting rotation. You can't trade Sheets without receiving a pretty darn good SP in return. Obviously our positional vacancies would be patched up, but at what cost?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The Dodgers wouldn't part with Jonathan Broxton for Erik Bedard, so they probably won't part with him for Ben Sheets and/or Bill Hall. They realize Saito isn't going to be around much longer and they see Broxton as their future closer. I think talking the Dodgers into Saito is more likely than getting them to include Broxton, which wouldn't be such a bad thing. Saito may be old, but he's still very cheap and hasn't really had a bad year in the majors yet. You could argue that he was the best closer in the National League last year.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

As someone mentioned, it doesn't look like the Dodgers are going to move Broxton. Young, cheap, closer-quality guy is just too valuable with the price of closers these days.

Billingsley is probably another guy that we're undervaluing a bit. He's a future (not too distant future) #1 or #2 SP. Sheets (injury concerns) and Hall (selling low) may net you Billingsley and a couple of mid-level prospects. I think we may be overvaluing what Sheets and Hall can bring us right now. Or maybe Sheet and Hall for LaRoche and a couple of mid-level prospects. But then you've got a hole in the OF again. It could be interesting and I hope they prove me wrong!!

How about Sheets & Hall for Broxton, Ethier, & Scott Elbert

I just don't see the Dodgers giving up that much for Sheets and Hall, but I really do hope I'm wrong! This would be a good trade, but still doesn't address 3B. You'd have to hope for LaRoche to be included somehow. But then Broxton, LaRoche, Elbert is way too much for them to give.

I'm having trouble understanding how trading Hall + Sheets for LaRoche + ethier makes the Brewers a better team. In my opinion, Hall to LaRoche is a lateral move (at best) in the short term. Can we really expect LaRoche to significantly outhit Hall as a rookie? Hall's still young and fairly cheap--I don't understand the impetus to move him. Unless you get a can't miss pitching prospect for Sheets, the pitching is going to very thin. The net gain in offense between an Andre Either and a Gross/Mench platoon would be marginal compared with the decline in pitching from Sheets to Bush/Cappy/5th starter.

I think people are getting impatient because the Rolen trade seemed so close to happening that we want something, anything, to happen even if it is not necessarily a smart move. Why do we want to blow up the nucleous of this team? We just had our first winning season in 15 years.

Sheets, Hall, Joe Dillon for

Kemp, Laroche, and Greg Miller????

EDIT TO ADD - I expect nothing to come of this except for maybe alot of broken moral amonst the fans.

I think you're probably very correct. It's just very hard for DM to get "appropriate" value for Sheets and Hall right now.

I'm having trouble understanding how trading Hall + Sheets for LaRoche + ethier makes the Brewers a better team. In my opinion, Hall to LaRoche is a lateral move (at best) in the short term. Can we really expect LaRoche to significantly outhit Hall as a rookie? Hall's still young and fairly cheap--I don't understand the impetus to move him. Unless you get a can't miss pitching prospect for Sheets, the pitching is going to very thin. The net gain in offense between an Andre Either and a Gross/Mench platoon would be marginal compared with the decline in pitching from Sheets to Bush/Cappy/5th starter.

I think people are getting impatient because the Rolen trade seemed so close to happening that we want something, anything, to happen even if it is not necessarily a smart move. Why do we want to blow up the nucleous of this team? We just had our first winning season in 15 years.

I agree - if Sheets had a healthy and successful year and Hall had hit like 2006, then we could expect a better haul trading them (e.g. Broxton/LaRoche/Kemp).

Right now, I'm just not sure you can get enough in return. The old adage "don't sell low" (unless it's tax time and you need a write-off!).

Archived