Brewer Fanatic

Is it St Nicks tonight?

Paul77

Can someone give a brief explanation of the St. Nick thing. Like what do you tell the kids is going on? I never celebrated it as a child but would like my children to. I also understand that St. Nick is largely a Wisconsin thing.

In Southwest Wisconsin where I grew up, we did not do the St. Nick thing, but here in the Fox Valley, they do..

It was all new to me...

When we were kids, we did the stockings, but Santa filled them up on X-mas eve, at the same time he put the presents under the tree.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I have lived in the Milwaukee area my whole life and it wasn't until 6 or 7 years ago that I realized that St. Nicks was just a Wisconsin thing (and that it's even regional in Wisconsin). I just always assumed that everyone in the country did St. Nicks. I guess it makes sense. Never saw a St. Nicks special on TV.

What kills me is the level that some parents have taken St. Nicks to now. My son goes to school and comes home telling us how some of his friends got video games for St. Nicks (and not cheap used ones, new $20-$30 types). People, it's suppose to be candy, some little cheap toys, maybe a pack or two of baseball or football cards. Sorry son, I guess St. Nick doesn't like you as much. This is the first year my son has dropped his belief in Santa and St Nick and all the other holiday characters. So, it will be easier to just explain to him that this is just the way it is. I try to limit it to $15 or $20 tops. I remember when I was a kid my parents would always put fruit (like an orange or apple, gee thanks - I'll put this back in the fridge now), candy, some comics and a sports illustrated in my stocking and maybe, if I was lucky, something like a wind up airplane, or silly putty, or a baseball.

My brother's birthday is also on Dec 6th, so I never forget St. Nicks.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

My parents had no idea what St. Nick's day was when we moved to Wisconsin. My mom had a cousin who lived here, and she told my mom about it. My mom started getting us stuff when we started school so we didn't feel left out when all of the kids were talking about what they got for St. Nick's day.

From wikipedia

Celebration in the United States

While feasts of Saint Nicholas are not observed nationally, cities with strong German influences like Milwaukee, Cincinnati, and St. Louis celebrate St. Nick's Day on a scale similar to the German custom.[5][/sup] On the previous night, children put one empty shoe (or sock) outside, and, on the following morning of December 6, the children awake to find that St. Nick has filled their previously empty footwear with candy and small presents (if the children have been "good") or ostensibly, coal (if not). For these children, the relationship between St. Nick and Santa Claus is not clearly defined, although St. Nick is usually explained to be a helper of Santa. The tradition of St. Nick's Day is firmly established in the Milwaukee community, with parents often continuing to observe the day with even their adult children

I'm with Patrick on this one. St Nicks has always been a bit of fruit, candy, other treats and a small present. This years gift is a Halo 3 poster. Last year it was Yu Gi Oh cards. Save the real gifts for Christmas.
20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

I got it mostly from my Mom who grew up in a stongly German region of NW Ohio (although my Dad may have been behind it too, fill me in Dad). Its a German thing; my wife was raised in a non-German area and remembers her German teacher bringing it up in HS.

Wait a second dadofan. Your profile says you are located in Germantown, WI and you never heard of St. Nicks until now??! Did you grow up in Germantown, or the area? If so, didn't any of your friends talk about it at school?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

St. Nick's is awesome, one of my favorite memories from childhood. Now, I'm 27 and my sister is 24 and still we meet for a St. Nick's dinner with my mom every year (including last night) and receive gift bags of candy and small gifts.
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

*scratching head*

I've lived in Wisconsin all my life, and I've never heard of a St. Nick's Day (or whatever), or getting stocking gifts before Christmas. I guess it's more of a Milwaukee-area thing.

Usually we got to open one gift on Christmas Eve, and then all our presents Christmas morning.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

My mom started getting us stuff when we started school so we didn't feel left out when all of the kids were talking about what they got for St. Nick's day.

SE Wisconsinite with the same. It never made sense to me, but I always thought it was sweet.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived