Brewer Fanatic

Tadahito Iguchi (Latest: Brewers to not make 2-year offer, probably?)

Any moves made to improve the MLB roster this season should have nothing to do with keeping a spot in the field "open" for LaPorta - he still has a few levels of the minors to develop and grow as a player, and if it becomes obvious that he needs to be playing in Milwaukee (as Weeks, Braun, and Fielder more or less did as they cruised through AAA), something will happen to open up a spot for him then.

It's not always the worst thing to have several options blocked by good players on the major league roster - look what Detroit was able to pull off with Maybin and Miller just a few days ago.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not always the worst thing to have several options blocked by good players on the major league roster - look what Detroit was able to pull off with Maybin and Miller just a few days ago.

DING! DING! DING! Get that man a cigar!

I suspect at some point, trading prospects for the missing piece will put this team over the top.

I can't wait to see this board when it happens.

With the Rockies about to ship Jamey Carroll to Cleveland, they're expected to draw a lot of interest from Iguchi. They'd be one of the few teams offering him a second base job, but Iguchi isn't comfortable with replacing Kaz Matsui out of respect for his fellow countryman. Now that's loyalty.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

DING! DING! DING! Get that man a cigar!

I suspect at some point, trading prospects for the missing piece will put this team over the top.

I can't wait to see this board when it happens.

It already happened with the Linebrink trade last year. It was a revolt against the Brewers for trying to win a division title.

I wouldn't say ABOUT to ship Carroll to Cleveland. Reportedly they offered Carroll for Josh Barfield straight up, and were laughed off the phone.

I heard minor league pitcher Sean Smith was about to be sent to Colorado in return, but the Indians took back that offer and the two teams are going to talk again today about what the Rockies would get in return.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

It already happened with the Linebrink trade last year. It was a revolt against the Brewers for trying to win a division title.

Agreed. Linebrink came in with a reputation for being the top set-up man in baseball, and moreor than a few posters here were extremely upset that we gave up two marginal pitching prospects and an A ball pitcher who has the ceiling of a #3-4 in the rotation, and wouldn't have seen a major league field until 2009-2010 anyway.

It really does make me wonder what will happen if a guy like Parra, Gamel, Jeffress, Salome, Irabarren or, gasp, LaPorta were traded at the deadline next year for a chip to push the team over the top. I think too many people want to build completely through the farm system, not realizing that all those guys are blocked by young stars at the major league level.

And Rollins said they were gettign somebody who played really good defense.

Wow - who else did they sign last offseason? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I wish I had saved that article. Rollins was refering to Helms. That was the funniest thing I read all of last year. Baseball related anyway. Rollins refered to Helms as a solid defender.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Agreed. Linebrink came in with a reputation for being the top set-up man in baseball,

A reputation that he had not lived up to at all last season, was about to be a free agent and had shown signs of decline the year before, hadn't he?

Credit to DM for trying, but let's not ignore the fact that this gamble failed to pay off and that we won't know the impact of these "marginal" players for 2-3 years.

Linebrink came in with a reputation for being the top set-up man in baseball, and moreor than a few posters here were extremely upset that we gave up two marginal pitching prospects and an A ball pitcher who has the ceiling of a #3-4 in the rotation, and wouldn't have seen a major league field until 2009-2010 anyway.

It really does make me wonder what will happen if a guy like Parra, Gamel, Jeffress, Salome, Irabarren or, gasp, LaPorta were traded at the deadline next year for a chip to push the team over the top.

Reputation is one thing. Linebrink also came in with a trend of declining peripherals. One of the 'marginal pitching prospects' provided some quality major league relief innings down the stretch, and pitched at least as well as Linebrink in his small sample. He did not, of course, have a reputation. Oddly, the contending Padres felt comfortable losing Linebrink, reputation and all. Two draft choices will make this one more palatable, but we did give up a lot for Linebrink.

The broader issue, though, is that it's unfair IMO to paint with the 'You guys would rather have a top-rated farm system than a playoff team' brush. It's entirely possible to agree with the notion of trading prospects for major league help and yet to disagree with the particulars of an individual trade. If Parra were to be traded for Danys Baez and his 'proven closer' reputation, yes, a lot of people would scream. It's entirely possible that a different deal involving Parra would be cheered.

Archived