Brewer Fanatic

Tadahito Iguchi (Latest: Brewers to not make 2-year offer, probably?)

How often is that situation going to come up compared to a ground ball to 3rd?

Lots of guys make misplays like that, that's not really the issue. The issue is the amount of plays he flat-out doesn't even come close to making due to range, etc. When I say he "cost" them games with his defense, it's not individual plays in the bottom of the 9th, it's balls that every other 3B gets to and turns into an out that Braun doesn't make - that you don't even notice unless you're looking at things like RZR and PMR. Really, games is "runs".

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Brewers have a window for winning right now

You nailed it Stevo! However replacing Estrada with Kendall, Menchkins with Iguchi, and Linebrink with Riske just changes faces, it doesn't change how good the team is...and then there's the closer issue. So, I know you're saying that the Brewers can't afford Braun at 3B because they are in their window of opportunity, I think some of us agree about the window of opportunity, we just don't see the team getting any better than it was last year, and yes it's all rumors and uncertainties, but when you see 'Brewers after Iguchi' and 'Cubs after Brian Roberts' I don't see how you can be happy about the direction this off season is going. And yes, I know it's early.

Well yeah I suppose I'm not overly happy with how things have played out so far, but I'm glad Estrada's gone so it could be worse. Would have been great to get Rolen. But I'm confident the team will be improved between now and April.

How often is that situation going to come up compared to a ground ball to 3rd?

Lots of guys make misplays like that, that's not really the issue. The issue is the amount of plays he flat-out doesn't even come close to making due to range, etc. When I say he "cost" them games with his defense, it's not individual plays in the bottom of the 9th, it's balls that every other 3B gets to and turns into an out that Braun doesn't make - that you don't even notice unless you're looking at things like RZR and PMR. Really, games is "runs".

Yep

I think sometimes people see a good athlete like Weeks or Braun and assume that they must have good range simply because they are more athletic than others who play their position. Just watch Weeks play and you can see how few times he ranges far to his left or right and makes a really good play. That's because he's not blessed with great instincts. Then watch a guy like Counsell and see how well he plays multiple positions and ranges well to his left/right, you can't teach instincts.

If all it took to have great range was being a good athlete, Alex Sanchez and Podsednik would have been a great CF, but instead both were terrible.

At his age, it isn't really teaching as much as a skill set that you simply have or don't have.

What specifically can Braun not do? I really think it's interesting we love his speed and his arm...but he has no skills to play 3B. I still believe it's a mental thing which would translate into a fast improvement. I love all the stats thrown out about how bad Braun is at 3B...but why? Is he physically not gifted enough to play 3B, but he will be this fast, strong armed OF? He's never played the OF, so I don't think we should bank on that. IMO Braun made quite a few outstanding plays at 3B, but on some routine plays didn't get to the ball quick enough (ie not an error, but a range factor) or had problems throwing the ball.

Braun is physically and athletic enough to play 3B. If you want to replace him, bring a GG like Rolen. Hall can play 3B, but he hasn't played all that many games at 3B in his career -- something Brewer nation fails to realize, but just believes Hall can do it. The best solution I've heard internally (I believe JBriggs brough it up) is to move Hall to SS and Hardy to 3B. That makes the most sense. Hall isn't what I would call a "proven" 3B. If you want to upgrade 3B, get Rolen. If you want to play better defense, put Counsell there (if you want to minimize position changes) and we'll see how it pans out.

The whole Braun can't flat out play 3B or improve is getting old. He's being remembered way too much for his defense...his offense is pretty darn good and why would you move him and mess with it to bring in an average player?

The whole Braun can't flat out play 3B or improve is getting old. He's being remembered way too much for his defense...his offense is pretty darn good and why would you move him and mess with it to bring in an average player?

The reason that Braun inadequacies at defense have been brought up so much is because of it's major importance. His offense is very very good, but his defense was so bad that it offset his overall production dramatically. I defintely believe that Braun can improve defensively, I really do, but by how much is tough to gauge. And how do you know that Brauns offense will be messed with and get worse if he moves positions? A position switch very well may do nothing to Brauns offensive values. You could just as easily flip it around and say that his offense can improve as he is playing an easier position that doesn't have as much defensive stress.

McCalvy:

Brewers officials met Wednesday morning with the agent for infielder Tadahito Iguchi, but general manager Doug Melvin said he expects to leave the Winter Meetings on Thursday without further action.

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071205&content_id=2319003&vkey=news_mil&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

And, the club is at least considering moving Hall back to 3B....

And, the club is at least considering moving Hall back to 3B....

I'm really curious if Hall would even care if he moved back to 3rd. They say it's almost not fair to him to keep bouncing him around, but it's not like third is some foreign land to him, would he be that upset to move back there? I say this because we've heard that Braun said he'd move to left if it makes the team better, but why hasn't Billy come out and said something similar about moving to third? Maybe he really wants to stay in CF and they know that? Maybe I'm reading too much into this?

This thread has to have the most convoluted thread title on this board.

Just wait until additional news comes out tomorrow that is completely contradicted 4 hours later.

But thanks, we try. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

2.) You've already shifted your #1 pick from the previous draft (LaPorta) to LF. Where's he gonna play now?

If LaPorta hits the Brewers in 2008 -- that would be a faster track than Braun. I think Sep. 2009 is an optimistic ETA. I just don't think it is prudent for the Brewers to worry about LaPorta just yet. However, Hart could be moved to CF, Braun to RF. -- I think LaPorta though will eventually be replacing Prince.

Part of what bugs me about this is the underlying premise that the organization can't teach Braun how to play 3B adequately.

I hear you, although it may be like trying to teach TGJ how to hit a HR. Really though, the Brewers farm hasn't done a very good job developing players defensively.

I love all the stats thrown out about how bad Braun is at 3B...

It's not just stats, it's scouts. The prevailing wisdom was that Braun couldn't play 3b.

The whole Braun can't flat out play 3B or improve is getting old. He's being remembered way too much for his defense..

Well -- when you try to find your defensive equivalent, and you have to go back so far in history to a dude on a tobacco card -- it gets people's attention.

The concern is that an offensive regression is likely to be more substantial than a defensive improvement. Braun's production could quite literally become a wash.

This thread has to have the most convoluted thread title on this board.

Just wait until additional news comes out tomorrow that is completely contradicted 4 hours later.

But thanks, we try. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I can't wait. I kind of like the fact that it is sort of a mess of a title. Fits the situation.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I am personally troubled to see that the current thread title has a split infinitive. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

It's a little bit funny to see how much venom can flow over a rumor that at this point seems to have been cooked up by an agent in order to pump up his client. Iguchi is neither terrible nor great, but it's not clear that he is a great fit for the Brewers at this point, until and unless they decide to move Weeks.

Archived