Brewer Fanatic

Tadahito Iguchi (Latest: Brewers to not make 2-year offer, probably?)

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only thing Iguchi will effect at his pay level is Rottino making the team.

Yeah I am thinking this is Replacement for Graffanino, and IF IF IF Braun needs to be moved during Spring Training you have a viable option..with out moving Hall from Center

Let me revise my outfield: Weeks in LF, Hart in CF, Braun in RF.

Look Weeks and Braun are athletic enough to survive on the corners despite their inexperience. I know it's not ideal, but neither is moving the 2nd infielder in two years to the OF.

I think the whole moving guys around should be done before they reach the big leagues not after.

Maybe this has been discussed in another topic - and if so, I apologize. But with all of this "switching around" and signing a 3B, where does Matt LaPorta fit into all of this?

Granted, to "count" on prospects panning out is always very tricky, but I think the consensus on this board has been that LaPorta is a sure thing. If Braun is in LF, Hall in CF, Hart in RF and Prince at 1B, I'm not sure I see a spot for him. (Unless Hall is traded, of course)

Obviously DM has given this some thought, and the logical explanation is trading Hall ans shifting Hart to CF, but this heavy pursuit of a short-term 3B has me a bit perplexed.

I would far rather just keep Braun at third. If we can get a guy like Rolen then I understand moving Braun, but getting a guy like Iguchi who will more than likely be a below average third baseman both offensively and defensively makes no sense. As each day passes I am losing more and more faith in Melvin. As far as I am concerned Melvin can follow Ned out the door and Jack Z can be the new GM. This is no way to improve the team.

I would far rather just keep Braun at third. If we can get a guy like Rolen then I understand moving Braun, but getting a guy like Iguchi who will more than likely be a below average third baseman both offensively and defensively makes no sense. As each day passes I am losing more and more faith in Melvin. As far as I am concerned Melvin can follow Ned out the door and Jack Z can be the new GM. This is no way to improve the team.

If Gooch is average defensively at 3rd, he will be lightyears better than Braun was at 3rd last year. I love Braun, but he was historically bad at 3rd. As in, worse than almost anyone since 1924. Putting him in left keeps his bat in the lineup, and keeps his glove from killing us.

If Tad Iguchi really is signed as a bench player, that's pretty good.

I agree, sbryl. I'm holding out hope that there's still a quest to find a suitable fix in LF, and Iguchi can be our supersub infielder. That bench would leave me feeling ecstatic!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I would have a hard time signing Iguchi at all, yet this is for two years. His comparable on Baseball-Reference.com include Junior Spivey, Damian Miller and Tony Graffanino. Do any of those sound like a solid 3B for a division contender?

Is a Gross/Dillon/Free agent platoon in LF and Braun at 3B better than Braun in LF and Iguchi at 3B? In my mind yes.

Please do not do this deal. I'm fine with Braun at 3B. His defense (mostly throwing) will improve.

Watching that game saving catch Jenkins made on the Brewers classics last night makes me wonder how a novice like Braun would have played it?

I'm not all that excited about this move either but let's please stop pretending that playoff teams are stacked at every position. They aren't.

The real question is what kind of defense we could expect at 3B from Iguchi. If it's going to be below average, I'm not excited at all. If he'd be a plus defender with a .350 OBP, I could live with it. The irony would be that if this deal goes through, the Brewers would have a 3B playing CF, a 2B playing 3B and a 2B that can't really play 2B very well. I appreciate that you can't play musical chairs with defensive positions every year but it's an odd situation, to say the least.

1). Yes I keep getting Iguchi and Matsui confused as to where they ended up. If they just weren't traded this would be much easier.

2). Iguchi gets Braun off 3B while still giving the Brewers flexibility to get a 3B or OFer if one becomes available. I don't understand the negativity.

Iguchi (Gooch? I'm not comfortable having Gooch and Choate on the same team) is a slightly below-average second baseman. Theoretically this makes him about an average third baseman, and if he can do that, it is already such a huge boost given the defensive upgrade that I'd have no problem with him being our third baseman. Of course I'd rather have Rolen there and Iguchi on the bench, but this is an upgrade.

Well, getting Iguchi might also keep Jason Kendall from hitting second (if Iguchi were to be the starting 3B), so for people looking for a silver lining, is that good?

I've always liked Iguchi, but when he was a 2B. Not sure if I do as a 3B, even with Braun's D. But end is right here - this is a move that gives them some pretty good flexibility to sign a 3B/LF, and if they don't, is a decent cover at 3B should they feel they absolutely have to move Braun off of there - which is what it seems like they're trying desperately to do (and I don't blame them).

As long as he isnt handed the starting 3b job I am fine with it. It does make me wonder though - why do you sign a guy who hasnt played 3rd in a few years to play 3rd ? Why not put Rottino or Dillon there? Is it possible that something might be happening with Weeks? If not trade wise, is it possible his wrist is still giving him fits? Is it just protection in case it does happen?

Iguchi (Gooch? I'm not comfortable having Gooch and Choate on the same team) is a slightly below-average second baseman. Theoretically this makes him about an average third baseman, and if he can do that, it is already such a huge boost given the defensive upgrade that I'd have no problem with him being our third baseman. Of course I'd rather have Rolen there and Iguchi on the bench, but this is an upgrade.

His nickname is "The Gooch". But the is properly pronounced "da". It makes him much more likeable for no apparent reason.

Let me revise my outfield: Weeks in LF, Hart in CF, Braun in RF.

Look Weeks and Braun are athletic enough to survive on the corners despite their inexperience. I know it's not ideal, but neither is moving the 2nd infielder in two years to the OF.

I think the whole moving guys around should be done before they reach the big leagues not after.

so you would like 2/3 of our OF to be untested going in to the season?

ummmmmm k

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I look at it this way... If the deal goes down, Iguchi is insurance. There's no way to assume that a deal could be had for a quality LFer or a quality 3B. Iguchi could at least play a passable 3B with average numbers at probably a reasonable rate. If nothing else materializes (because either it cripples the club long-term or requires the club to give up WAY too much), you need to have a fallback.

My only hope is that he's not "guaranteed" the starting 3B job as a condition of signing.

For the Brewers. I like Iguchi more than Crede. He's not coming off a back injury, he's not an OBP nightmare, and he has positional flexibility, if guys get hurt.

This is not the player I want at third base, but he's a better fit for this lineup than guys like Crede or Feliz.

Does that count as an endorsement?

Archived