Brewer Fanatic

Tadahito Iguchi (Latest: Brewers to not make 2-year offer, probably?)

Iguchi is a fine player. He made just 6 errors in 135 games last year. I wouldn't move him off of 2B though. I think the Brewers would be better served with Hall at SS, Hardy at 3B, Braun in LF and Weeks in CF. That would open up 2B.

Agreed 100% -- It makes too much sense for it to happen though.

The idea of both Braun and Weeks learning new positions in the same year makes me a bit uneasy....

Would it help if you looked at it from the perspective that they will be doing their learning further away from all the action? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the Brewers would be better served with Hall at SS, Hardy at 3B, Braun in LF and Weeks in CF.

holy anti-shark repellant Batman!!!

you want our starting OF to be Braun and Weeks, who have never played a MLB game at that position? You think our defense sucks now, can you believe the mess those two guys would be playing next to each other in the OF?

ummmmm, thanks, but ABSOLUTELY, 100% NO THANKS!

man, I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit on that one...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

The idea of both Braun and Weeks learning new positions in the same year makes me a bit uneasy....

that is putting it mildly, that idea makes me physically sick, PUKING sick!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I agree with those last two posts - it's a move, but it will prevent us from getting really excited this offseason.

I don't know, I'd get pretty excited about having Da Gooch on our team. Its always good to have someone with a good nickname. And it doesn't stop a Sheets trade if the right offer comes along.

We don't NEED to trade for power with Fielder/Braun/Hart/Hall/Weeks already in the lineup.

Maybe this is a sign that if a deal to net a quality closer or 3B comes about and the opposing team insists on having Bill Hall as a part of any package, it would give DM the flexibility to move Billy. Rickie Weeks could be thrown out in CF, Iguchi could move to 2B, and Braun could move to LF. Granted, we'd be taking a chance with 2 new OF's but the overall talent of the team would be improved greatly and with the athleticism of Braun and Weeks, I'd be confident that they could make a good transition to their new positions.

Maybe this is a sign that if a deal to net a quality closer or 3B comes about and the opposing team insists on having Bill Hall as a part of any package, it would give DM the flexibility to move Billy. Rickie Weeks could be thrown out in CF, Iguchi could move to 2B, and Braun could move to LF. Granted, we'd be taking a chance with 2 new OF's but the overall talent of the team would be improved greatly and with the athleticism of Braun and Weeks, I'd be confident that they could make a good transition to their new positions.

Good point! Hart could play center with Braun and KEMP playing the corners. With BROXTON as our closer. If we had to part with Hall and Sheets....

Its also possible this is all part of the Melvin mind games w/ the Cards.

I read that the Dodgers are also interested in Rolen. If the Cards have more suitors, then that takes away some bargaining power from DM, doesn't it?

I think Doug's assuming that the Cards are asking too much and will come back to us after speaking to other suitors. If they happen to get more out of the Dodgers, more power to them. And then time will tell if DM over- or under-valued him.

I read that the Dodgers are also interested in Rolen. If the Cards have more suitors, then that takes away some bargaining power from DM, doesn't it?

It Depends on Rolen to... Rolen has to waive his no trade clause...and has said that he wants to stay in the Midwest..so that could also hold the Cards hostage as well

They might be interested, but the question is can the Cards (a) get a better offer out of them than they did from the Brewers and (b) get Rolen to agree to go to LA. The Dodgers know, just like the Brewers know, that the Cards pretty much need to get rid of Rolen. No reason for LA to offer much for him when they already have a couple more options at 3rd than the Brewers do. Plus, the rumors have indicated that Rolen wants to stay in the midwest. He has a full no-trade clause, and could conceivably shut down a trade.

Who knows? Its fun to speculate. Da Gooch would be a good, cheap alternative with a good OBP and much better defense than Braun.

Let me revise my outfield: Weeks in LF, Hart in CF, Braun in RF.

Look Weeks and Braun are athletic enough to survive on the corners despite their inexperience. I know it's not ideal, but neither is moving the 2nd infielder in two years to the OF.

I think the whole moving guys around should be done before they reach the big leagues not after.

It looks like Doug & Co. are treating the Rolen deal as a thing of the past. Sure, StL may come calling again, but it's unlikely. The quotes from Melvin weren't that the sides were close but tentative, it was that what the Cards asked was way off. Who knows.

Anyway, for some reason, Bill James has the following projection for Iguchi in 2008:

.287/.365/.444/.810

Not sure why you'd project a 34-y-o upwards like that. Given his recent years, I'd expect something more like .275/.350/.425/.775. James actually has Iguchi's ISO rising to .157 in '08. It'd slipped from .160 in 2005 to .141 ('06) & .133 ('07). I have no idea why James thinks it would suddenly work greatly back in the other direction, just out of the clear blue sky.

From what I can tell, Iguchi has been roughly an average to below-average fielder at 2B. I'd imagine he could handle 3B just fine. Offensively, I'd be kinda worried about him slotted as our #2 hitter, but if that's the best option at this point, I guess it'd be alright.

File this under "I really hope we have a better option than this" for me.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived