Brewer Fanatic

Tadahito Iguchi (Latest: Brewers to not make 2-year offer, probably?)

From Jsonline, forgive me if this is talked about somewhere else, One interning thing might be presented to the Brewers on Wednesday, Rocky Hall the agent for Mr. Iguchi will make a pitch to the Brewers for 2nd basemen to switch to play third base and is willing to play third base for more than a 1 year deal, and Mr Iguchi lives in Chicago and See's Milwaukee as a fit., Mr Melvin said, we will see what they have to say and likes how he plays. What does everyone thing of this option? Also Mr Braun said he has no problem moving to the outfield and said whatever is best for the team.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For the right price I wouldn't mind him as a backup infielder, but I wouldn't be very interested in him playing third base. His numbers aren't spectacular, and they'd be below average for a third baseman. His OBP isn't that great and he saw a drop in his power last year despite splitting the year between Chicago and Philly. I'd also have some concerns about his defense, considering he hasn't played 3B since coming over to the United States (and I don't know if he ever played third in Japan). I think the last thing the Brewers need is another guy playing out of position, but maybe that's just me.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

there's a thread on this a few pages back about a month ago. But it's worth revisiting. it's interesting that Iguchi's agent is pursuing melvin and not the other way around. that's almost a first. Boy have things changed for the brewers.

Iguchi is an interesting player. What's interesting is that as a White Sox player, he hit .202 against lefties and .272 against righties. As a phillie, he hit .409 against lefties and .255 against righties. I also find it interesting he refused to play third base last year, but now that he's out of a job is willing to do what it takes to join the brewers.

With that said, I like Iguchi a lot more than I like Graffy. I would be very disheartened if Iguchi was the brewers' starting 3rd baseman for 2008.

If he could put up a .350 / .410 / .760, which he's capable of, I would be okay with him as long as he plays above average defense. We could then use Vargas or Capuano for a closer as there's none really on the FA market.

Compared to Rolen, totally uninspiring.

If I were Melvin, I would have had a hard time simply saying "you got the wrong number" and hanging up the phone. This team needs a deal that will put them over the top, not one that reeks of mediocrity.

I couldn't agree more. This is only a slightly better idea than "start Craig Counsell" at third and move Braun. We're not going to win a championship with those kind of moves. The Cubs are getting better. Did everyone see what the Tigers did yesterday? They could have stood pat and continued to play out a decent hand...they would be very good and attendance and revenues would be high...instead, they just made themselves the favorites to win it all. That's a gutsy, winning menatality.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

While uninspiring, if nothing else happens on the Rolen front, this would make the team better by more than people think. Moving Braun away from 3rd base with even a league average fielding guy taking his spot is probably worth 3 more wins (if one assumes of course, that Ryan Braun can be average in left field). Iguchi's fielding stats look very good over the last 3 years (granted that those are at 2nd base), and he's a career .768 OPS guy. A lot of people said they'd be more than happy with Rolen if he put up a .775 OPS while playing good defense, and that was at 12 million per.

Now, granted, my presumptions are based on a few unknowns (Iguchi playing 3rd, Braun playing left), but I'm guessing that the decision making guys would have better insight on that sort of thing before they'd make that kind of move.

Again, uninspiring, not the move I'd be hoping for or want, but at this point, anything is better than Braun at the hot corner for another full season.

If Doug is even considering doing something so stupid, he should just keep it to himself. Theres just no upside to a signing like Iguchi. He's clearly established his ceiling, which is mediocre. If the Brewers are going to let a scrub play 3B, go with a young guy who at least has a chance to suprise, like Scott Moore.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Iguchi is a reasonable fall-back option if they have nothing else come through in LF or 3B. He'd fix the defensive issues at third to some degree (regardless of his track record, he's likely considerably better than Braun), while probably falling just short of Jenkins' OPS (higher OBP, lower SLG, fewer K's). Definitely not a great 1st option, but I could live with it if there aren't any other choices out there.

The Brewers have enough of the basic building block "foot soldier" types like Iguchi. They need one or two studs to put them over the top. Enough messing around.

Entering the offseason, most people seemed to agree that the Brewers had enough studs in the lineup, and needed more of a complimentary player that did a good job getting on base that ideally would fit well in the number two spot. While Iguchi isn't my first, or 30th choice, he does somewhat fit that description. He takes a ton of pitches, walks a fair amount and gets on-base at a decent clip.

I think he was considered a good second baseman, not below average and not great, and he seems to have some decent wheels, and at least he's better than Kaz Matsui (although that's not hard to do).

I mentioned in a different thread last night that I would be somewhat impressed if the Brewers pursued Crede only that it would point to the fact that Melvin is indeed intent on improving the defense at third base, which many of us have pointed out is huge, while moving Braun to left field. Iguchi is a relatively minor risk as he should be able to handle the position. I hope all other avenues are pursued before handing the everyday third base job to Iguchi, but he's better than Crede and Feliz IMO.

We've got pounders throughout the line up. If you can get past the "3B has to be a run producer position" edict, it's actually a tolerable consideration at putting together a decent lineup. We have potentially above average run producers at SS and 2nd base, so who cares if our 3B is the solid defensive guy?

The statement that we need to go get someone who's a stud is grand, if a bit dillusional. Who is this player and where will he come from? Teams don't just give them away. You want a stud, you're going to have to give up a stud, and the Brewers are not going to do that.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
For whatever it's worth, Iguchi had a higher OPS than either Rolen or Andruw Jones last year. I certainly don't think you can *expect* it going forward, but I think with Iguchi you're getting a much better chance of getting what you pay for. I know, I know, the Brewers need to take some risks. I'd love to get Rolen, but if not, Iguchi isn't a terrible fall back.

I'd certainly listen. One reason I believe the Brewers haven't gotten anything done is that they need some better chips to offer. They are finding out that 5th starters of which they have 3 (Capuano, Bush, and Vargas) don't get you much in return.

Iguchi is a fine player. He made just 6 errors in 135 games last year. I wouldn't move him off of 2B though. I think the Brewers would be better served with Hall at SS, Hardy at 3B, Braun in LF and Weeks in CF. That would open up 2B.

One more thing is that having a Japanese player gives you a leg up on getting another one.

Hey, if signing Iguchi would somehow net Fukudome, I'd be all for it. I doubt that will happen, but, I would imagine the Brewers could get some kind of TV deal in Japan going with two Japanese position players on the team. There has to be money to be had from something like that, right?

I don't like your idea of moving Hardy to 3B, and I doubt the Brewers will move Weeks, though.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Iguchi went from the AL to the NL mid season last year, and he excelled when he faced NL pitching, similar to Jason Kendall last year. If I could get him for fairly cheap, I might sign him, providing we don't promise him the starting 3rd base job before spring training begins. Sign him and make him earn it on the field.

Archived