Brewer Fanatic

Fukudome to Cubs: Latest- Almost a Done Deal, per AM 1000

Suppan, a guy who will put up a 4.5 era with around 200 innings. Proven track record and other awards (WS mvp?)..or Fukudome. Hasn't played in this league at all. Therefore past experience so on and so forth out the window. Saying he was good in China (or Japan) isn't going to make it up. Lets look at Matzusaka for instance...considered one of the best over seas, nothing more then another overpriced athlete in the MLB.

So I beg to differ Fukudome is 1/8th of the risk of Suppan.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TooLive.....I could care less if he is in China or Japan, he isn't nor has he played in the MLB. Both Japan and the U.S. play the game baseball (obviously) but the fact they have completely different pitching and hitting styles, not to mention techniques....It really is hard to compare.

but Man, Japan it is.

I can't believe how angry many people are that we haven't made a big splash yet. The winter meetings just started! I'm glad our GM is cautious enough not to throw big money at average players. If he did this, we wouldn't even have the luxury of this talk. Instead we'd be wondering how to get Gary Mathews Jr's contract off the books.

On a side note, I think we may have already added a very valuable piece of the puzzle in Ted Simmons. I think that he could very well be the Crew's next manager if Nedly doesn't get the team off to a good start.

If Fukodome is going for a 3 year deal, in my mind that is perfect for the Brewers. If the Padres are only offering 8 million per year that seems almost insulting given his success in Japan. Fukodome is the kind of player that Melvin said he wanted a high OBP LFer. Fukodome would also be an amazing defensive LFer from what I have read about his defense.

I will truly be dissapointed if Melvin dosen't at least talk with Fukodome's agent. I wouldn't have any reservations seeing Melvin sign Fukodome to a 3 year 36 million dollar deal. Heck, thats pretty much what Rolen is making and the Brewers don't have to give up talent to get him. (Cut mench, trade capuono for cheap player/s to try and even reduce payroll)

Fukodome, just seems like he could be exactly what the ballclub needs, and really is there anyone out there that thinks he is going to truly flop.

According to Tom H's blog at JS online, Tad Iguchi is going to make a pitch to Milwaukee tomorrow for playing 3rd base. Is he good friends with Fukudome? Let's hope so, I'd sign him just to get Fukudome to consider signing here!

Goodness. Run away and hide Doug!

I wouldn't mind Tad Iguchi. He doesn't really do anything great, but he's solid and holds a decent OBP. Wouldn't have to give up anything to get him, to, so we could still trade for a closer. That'd be the way to go, seeing there are no closers on the FA market.

If Fukodome is going for a 3 year deal, in my mind that is perfect for the Brewers. If the Padres are only offering 8 million per year that seems almost insulting given his success in Japan. Fukodome is the kind of player that Melvin said he wanted a high OBP LFer. Fukodome would also be an amazing defensive LFer from what I have read about his defense.
Agreed, seems like a RF to me, with the ability to play anywhere in the OF. He also seems like the perfect high OBP left handed stick that would look beautiful sandwiched between Weeks and Braun.

I will truly be dissapointed if Melvin dosen't at least talk with Fukodome's agent. I wouldn't have any reservations seeing Melvin sign Fukodome to a 3 year 36 million dollar deal. Heck, thats pretty much what Rolen is making and the Brewers don't have to give up talent to get him. (Cut mench, trade capuono for cheap player/s to try and even reduce payroll)
Agreed about the money, I don't think that is too long or too much $ for what he could bring to the table. I was thinking the same thing about that same money going to Rolen, plus some of our players.

Fukodome, just seems like he could be exactly what the ballclub needs, and really is there anyone out there that thinks he is going to truly flop.

Not me, OBP and defense are pretty reliable and he seems very good in both regards.

Fukudome would be an outstanding pickup. If Melvin doesn't go after him simply to prevent the Cubs from getting him, then I don't know what is wrong with him. At times it is very good to be conservative with your money, but at other times, you have to be bold and take some risks. This is the time to take a risk. Our club isn't going to get any cheaper to maintain three years from now when our young stars start hitting arbitration. We won't have the payroll flexibility in the future to add guys like Fukudome unless we let some of our core of homegrown stars go.

I am baffled by Melvin's offer to Cordero ($42MM), yet his refusal to get involved in the Fukudome sweepstakes. Fukudome is cheaper, and he will have an opportunity to have a lot more of an impact on this team than a closer would. Plus, Fukudome could open up new revenue possibilities for TV contracts in Japan. I don't see any better options out there. There are more conservative ones like Kenny Lofton or Luis Gonzalez, and then there are trade opportunities where we would have to jeopardize our future (and there doesn't really seem to be many good trade opportunities around anyways now that Rolen may not be coming here). Then there is Fukudome, who could be extremely effective but cost a little bit of cash. Even if he ends up with little to no power like Iwamura, his OBP is what this team desperately needs, and one would think that is a stat that would translate over to the Majors better than any other.

I really don't understand why Iguchi hasn't gotten more looks by teams. His career numbers: .276/.347/.421 are not earthshattering but very respectable for a 2B. His fielding is decent. And at 33 as of yesterday, he isn't that old. And given the numbers surrounding him, he wouldn't be an anchor even if he spends the last year of his contract on the bench.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Brian says about a .770 OPS is what he would expect from Fukudome, and Iguchi has a career OPS of .768, yet people are drooling over Fukudome, and hate Iguchi. I'm confused.

I understand Fukudome plays good defense, and Iguchi plays 2B, but his defensive stats, (I know ZR and RF are imperfect, to say the least) have been well above average in his 3 years in the league. IF one believes his good defense can translate to 3B, I don't get the hate at all.

Fukudome might be a good player, but the Brewers wouldn't know because they don't scout Asia. Melvin instead has 8 guys scouting that baseball hotbed, Canada. With all the high quality Asian relievers signed cheaply by teams in recent years (Saito, Otsuka, that sick lefty for Boston), It becoming very clear that the Brewers need to make a dramtic change in philosiphy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

The Brewers have money to spend, but since the offer to Cordero fell through, it doesn't seem like they're trying to put those dollars anywhere at all right now. I don't see why the Brewers don't at least make an offer to a guy like this, as others have stated.

Yeah, it would be a real shame to get the biggest Japanese free agent out there this year, wouldn't it? (this should be in blue)

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'm starting to think Melvin is just too conservative to get the Brewers to the next level. I hope I'm wrong, and of course it's way too early in the off-season to pass final judgment. It's frustrating, though, as a fan to see almost every other team seemingly going after big impact players, and the Brewers can't even get a deal done for a Scott Rolen or Andruw Jones.

The Brewers have plenty of money to spend, and anyone who believes they are strapped for cash after last season is being naive.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I really wonder why we haven't heard even a peep of being linked to even wanting him, considering he seems perfect for what we want. The only thing I can think of is that word is he is going to demand a ridiculous contract. Does this boggle anyone else?
We're Milwaukee, they're Chicago. Makes sense to me. Unless the Brewers were consistent contenders for the pennant, I can't picture any foreign free agent looking at Milwaukee over Chicago.

I can't believe how angry many people are that we haven't made a big splash yet. The winter meetings just started!

It's really like this every year here, despite that every year the Brewers make a sizable trade and a fairly solid signing at some point.

I'm starting to think Melvin is just too conservative to get the Brewers to the next level. I hope I'm wrong, and of course it's way too early in the off-season to pass final judgment. It's frustrating, though, as a fan to see almost every other team seemingly going after big impact players, and the Brewers can't even get a deal done for a Scott Rolen or Andruw Jones.

The Brewers have plenty of money to spend, and anyone who believes they are strapped for cash after last season is being naive.

I am starting to get this feeling as well. How quickly people forget that we were paying nearly the same money to Geoff "I only swing at balls in the dirt" Jenkins last year. C'mon Melvin! I know he is not Canadian but Japanese players can make an impact as well!!
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

I think it's just the fact that the Brewers seem to be the last team to move sometimes. I know it's not always the case, but us Brewers fans have a built in inferiority complex we have to deal with.

The market is pretty frozen until the Santana deal goes down. Now that Cabrera's out of the way, you'll probably see more of an avalanche of activity. Teams want to see what the going rate for these types of players is. Considering the FA market was way weak this year, most things hinge on those major trades.

Archived