Brewer Fanatic

Fukudome to Cubs: Latest- Almost a Done Deal, per AM 1000

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...and then Virgil turned and presented the fourth circle of hell, one in which bleachers full of drunken Cubs fans wearing backwards hats and unbuttoned Fukudome jerseys with no shirts underneath wouldn't stop mispronouncing his name....

If this does go down, the importance of Rickie & JJ simply cannot be overstated. Two positions where the Brewers have a clear edge over the Cubs - and we need their production in '08. My mind is spinning trying to concoct who our 3B/LF will be.

I know colby has mentioned that the Brewers don't have a full-time scout in Japan. I wonder how that may factor into our matchups against Fukudome, should he ink with the Northsiders. Might that also play a role in why the Crew has never been linked to a FA pursuit of him?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Looks like the Padres have taken the lead with a 3 year, 8M per year offer for Fukudome.

The Brewers need a left fielder, so why not roll the dice with a 3yr/30M offer? His stats translate probably closest to Akinori Awamura's (hit .285/.359.411 last year). A .770 OPS wouldn't drive me wild, but seems to be quite solid defensively, and can certainly play CF if need be.

Plus it would hack Chicago off. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
He can play all three OF positions and is projected to be an OBP machine - not really a power threat but the brewers aren't really in need of that.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I was just thinking the same thing after reading on MLB.com that the padres made an offer. I want Fukudome. We need to take a risk here and there if we want to win it all. People say it's too early to be upset, and I'm not upset yet... but I just get the impression they're going to make the same conservative uneventful and non-impact moves they've been making for years. It's time to make a splash and go for it. Fukudome in '08!

"If money is all you love, then that's what you'll receive."

If $$ is what it takes to help him make his decision, then throw it to him. As mentioned though, the money seems to be important to a point.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Yeah, I'm very keen for the Brewers to get Fukudome too. He would fit nicely in the 2nd spot in the Brewers lineup. Plus he's a free agent and the Brewers will not lose any picks to get him.

I'm also keen for the Brewers to add an Asian to the team, especially a high profile guy like Fukudome, which could lead to more Brewers games on ESPN Asia.

I have no idea why the Brewers haven't pursued Fukudome, it seems both obvious and affordable.

As for the Milwaukee market, Japanese players have signed with both Cleveland and Kansas City so far this off-season, so I'm not buying that nonsense anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Japanese players have signed with Milwaukee before too.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Fukudome seems like he would fill every need we have in the field. Solid glove, high OBP, plays the outfield. I like to dream that Mr. Melvin actually backed out of the Rolen deal anticipating signing Fukudome. He'd be a great Christmas present.

Per Rotoworld...

http://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif
http://www.rotoworld.com/images/pixel.gif
The Padres have reportedly offered Kosuke Fukudome a three-year deal.
MLB.com believes it could be worth $8 million per year. Fukudome is believed to be insisting on a three-year deal, no more and no less. The Padres would have room for both him and Luke Scott.

Ah, I didn't see this thread at first. I don't get why the Brewers aren't linked at all to even being interested. I'd definitely do 3/30, he seems perfect for what we need/want. I was really starting to like the Matt Kemp idea, but I'd rather spend the money on Fukudome and keep Sheets.

That seems like on guys opinion on a blog, I don't think anythings been confirmed or anything is even in a contract type process yet between his agent and the Cubs. I believe he's still thinking about staying over there last I heard.. dont' get to anxious on this one, as nothing is immenent as of yet

Archived