Brewer Fanatic

Tis the season to give

dadofandrew

I deleted this from my Wii post and decided it could use it's own topic. If you have a child especially, it's great fun.

We picked a name off the "angel tree" at Wal Mart, and my son and I will be going shopping together for that this weekend. We always pick a boy the same age as my son, and not only does it sometimes give you ideas, they seem to realize many kids have a lot less...our child requested Legos, not a certain type or style, just Legos. Andrew has about a half-dozen sets, and could not imagine a kid just wanting any Legos at all. We always throw in a gift card as well. It's a bonding time for my son and I, and we always enjoy it. It's good to know you helped a child and their family enjoy the holiday. Let's be honest, if it's food, rent, heat, or Legos, Legos ain't never gonna win that battle.

I don't know if there's a long-term gain there or not, but it can't hurt.

Always been surprised how much he enjoys it. He'll even pick out the clothes. I also know that our local WalMart takes what's left on the tree on whatever day they take it down and supplies the gifts themselves.

That's because they're evil.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

At my old workplace, I told them how my wife and i stopped buying gifts for each other ages ago (if she wants something, she buys it, and vice versa), and we choose to do this instead. A couple people did the same thing, as they never knew what to get each other anyway. Actually, my in-laws decided not to have a gift exchange this year and do the same thing at their massive family get together.

It doesn't matter who money goes through as long as nobody skims off the top. Allow me to take this opportunity to encourage people not to be lazy with any charitable contributions they choose to make this holiday seasons. If you want to give to a charity - GIVE IT DIRECTLY TO THEM AND NOT A FUND RAISING AGENCY. The amount of money those savages skim off the top (sometimes 90%) should be criminal. Make sure the charity gets 100% of your money - otherwise you're doing nothing but making yourself feel good.

My wife and I usually choose 1-2 tags off the Angel Tree at our church. It always feels good to give.

This year, we bought one item--a new digital camera. That was it. The underside of our tree will be bare. And we like it that way. Gifts are overrated, anyways, unless you're a kid. I've already got too much stuff. I really don't need any more without getting rid of stuff that I already have first.

I love Christmas and the spirit one gets, but gift exchanges and such can go away. Well, not entirely, I guess. I'd rather give a kid that I'll never meet something nice than get something myself. Every year making a "list" for various people is just tedious and I spend at least a couple of hours to compile them.

Sometimes, I wonder if I could just ask somebody to give me a gift like Jerry and George gave Elaine on Seinfeld on a holiday episode--cash.

edit: boy, I rambled a lot. sorry about that.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I really don't need any more without getting rid of stuff that I already have first.

We just about have to operate that way now, since we moved to a house with less storage.

My side of the family has four kids (age 1 1/2 to 7) and the S.O.'s side has four too (infant to 6), plus a few college agers. After hearing their parents joke only halfway about having to build an addition to their houses just to house the new toys, we've taken almost exclusively to buying them books. They don't take up much space, they're easy to exchange or donate in case of a duplicate, and we can avoid TV/movie tie-in products when we want to.

It doesn't exactly break down stereotypes (we are both librarians), but if it means I don't have to visit Toys R Us (no offense, Al), it's worth it to me.

I do look for something Brewer-related for my oldest nephew at gift giving opportunities. He's growing up in an extreme Packer household but he also likes baseball, and I don't want him latching on to any other team. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

That's a nice thing, I've been trying to get my family to do the same thing but for some reason they are stuck on the "It feels good to get something" train. Personally, I'd rather someone donate something on my behalf instead of receive something. And Lamp is right!

Great thread, DoA. My gf & I each grabbed an item off the gift tree at her place of work. She took a girl, I took a boy. I know part of doing something like this is inherently at least a small part self-serving, but I feel genuinely good that we can help make at least two other people's holiday seasons more joyful.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

We've been taking a name from our church's giving tree for a number of years now. This year, our son was old enough (3) to get the concept. He helped pick out the gifts for a 4 year old boy. This is definitely something we will keep doing. Helps remind us of the real meaning of the season.

My wife and I also stopped buying gifts for each other. Why keep exchanging crap that we don't need. It's a lot more fun giving gifts to the kids in the family.

Archived