Brewer Fanatic

HDMI cable for hd tv?

zingsheim

Do these things really make that big of a deal with your HD performance? I got an hd tv but haven't bought the cable because there so damn expensive. If it does make a diff. where can I get one cheaper? I looked on ebay and they had CHEAP ones, but I want to make sure it supports at least 1080i. Right now I just have the hd box going to the tv with the standard cables provided by Time Warner. Thanks.

monoprice.com or firefold.com generally have pretty decent deals on HDMI cables.

if your "standard" cables are component video cables... the ones with RCA connections that are generally red, blue, and green... then no there will probably be next to no visual difference between Component and HDMI.

As far as HDMI cables are concerned... it is digital so the signal is either there or it isn't. Don't spend a bunch of money on expensive cables. As long as they're not shoddy, bent up, or falling apart you should be fine.

Yep, get the cheap ones - there is NO difference because it's all-or-nothing. The only problem you'll have with cheap cables is with attentuation when you're running really long cables. At the standard 6 ft, there's little chance the cheap ones don't work.

HDMI cables are the way stores make their money after selling HDTV's at near cost.

My TV guru (installer/repairer/seller/drinking buddy) says that as far as cables in general go, quality might start making a difference if you cover longer distances. Note that I say quality, not price.

Outside of that, depending on how may connectors you have on the back of your set and what kind of gadgets you have, you might want to use HDMI for something simply to allocate better connections to peripheral stuff that might get bumped down to something that might make a difference.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived