Brewer Fanatic

Tigers, Marlins talk Mega-Deal (Cabrera/Willis for Maybin/Miller/Others)

RyDogg66
Big Reed wrote:

As for Cabrera's weight, he was only 19 when he was first called up to start for the Marlins. I would think he would want to add a few pounds to his bones. Sporting News lists his height at 6'2 rather than 6'4. So he has obviously also shrunk .

Well, he was listed at 175 when called up and he was at 255-260 last year. I think 80 pounds is more that a 'few' in my mind, but I'm not sure what to expect with human growth hormone.

I'm quite sure when MLB develops a test for HGH, miguel will stop taking it. Although a trade to Detroit would help miguell be closer to his distributers of HGH - Pudge and Sheff.

as for Miguel's current weight, i think many publications only estimate his weight. Big Poppy's weight was nowhere close to his listed weight. I could name names! I have inside contacts within Nutrisystem.

and looking at Detroit's team, they could use a new first baseman. So Miguel's weight is really a non-issue.

Well, he was listed at 175 when called up and he was at 255-260 last year. I think 80 pounds is more that a 'few' in my mind, but I'm not sure what to expect with human growth hormone.
Where do they have him listed at 255-260?

Well this certainly is an unexpected twist in the Miggy discussions...had not heard the White Sox in on him yet. According to MLBTR.com:

This is unexpected. Joe Capozzi says the White Sox "are making a strong push" to acquire Miguel Cabrera. What's more, some kind of major announcement is coming soon and White Sox sources admitted it involves Cabrera.

Josh Fields, Gio Gonzalez, John Danks, and Gavin Floyd could all be involved. This would be an incredible move if Kenny Williams can pull it off. I never though those guys could net Cabrera against all other offers.

I think I like the Angels offer better, but that's just me.

The wonders of up-to-the-minute technology...what a great time of the year this is.

ESPN had a Breaking News Alert from the Winter Meetings stating the deal could be officially announced tonight. What is interesting is this could make Brandon Inge available for trade. But judging from Inge's statistics, such as OBP, he does not look like a good candidate for the Brewers at this point.

I have to go to work in an hour, so uhm... finalize at least one deal before then.

Its crazy I get home from school and rotoworld.com, just has an almost neverending list of players almost traded. Bedard, Santana, Cabrera and Willis. This time of year is so fun. I just want the Brewers to get involved in something.

If Cabrera does in fact go to Chicago, and Willis is not part of that trade, what would it take for the Brewers to get Willis. Gamel, Escobar, Salome, Jefress, Parra, who would it take? Would a Gamel, Gwynn Jr., Jeffress trade seem enticing to the Marlins?

mlb.com has this on their front page now. Wow. Between this deal and Atlanta deal (Gorkys and Jurrjens for Renteria) Detroit is making a huge dump of prospects in a big bid to Win Now. I'd guess a few of the other four are also pitchers, Dallas Trahern, Eulogio Dela Cruz, Jordan Tata? Maybe Larish?

6:20 p.m., from Peter Gammons

• The Tigers have won the Miguel Cabrera sweepstakes. Detroit will get Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis from Florida for six players -- Cameron Maybin, Andrew Miller, catcher Mike Rabelo and three minor league prospects.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3140986&name=winter_meetings

This is a great trade for Detroit. This instantly makes them better than any team in the AL except for possibly the Red Sox. They have to give up the farm, basically, but they get one of the best hitters of the decade who is still very young, and a solid left-handed starter that can eat up innings with a potential to bounce back to stardom. They give up two of the best prospects in the game, but they are just that - prospects. Even if Miller is the next Randy Johnson, it took Randy Johnson until his late 20's to become dominant, and Miller probably won't even be the next Randy Johnson. As far as Maybin goes, he could be the next Griffey, but he could be the next Mike Cameron, too. The Tigers want to win now, and this trade pushes them over the top. Also, they had a strong draft class this year, none of which will be included in this trade, so their minor league system has already begun to be restocked.

Archived