Brewer Fanatic

Porkchop is deragatory

logan82

I didn't know that either but on this occasion I think it's wise to change it even though it obviously was related to the team's name. It offends a base of fans. It would be better for them to show good faith toward them than to be obstinant and lose some potential fans.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

The online Urban Dictionary, which accepts entries from readers, says Pork Chop is a racist term used to refer to people of Puerto Rican descent.

Of the 16 definitions listed, there's only one implies that it's a derogatory term for Puerto Rican people; and it's ranked 9th with a approval rating of 38%. That's hardly what one would call any sort of substantial support; but granted, Sports Illustrated isn't exactly the zenith of quality journalism.

A bunch of my friends growing up were Puerto Ricans and pork chop is definitely a racial slur against them. However, none of them got that offended when people said it. It was more like "cracker" or something like that rather than the worse slurs. That doesn't prove anything though, maybe other people get more offended by it.

Wow, PC things do often make my skin crawl, this one makes sense.

As an English as a Second Language teacher, I have had the pleasure of meeting many Hispanics and getting to know them. They live very difficult lives and receive very little respect from anyone outside of their culture. Its shocking how many of them have told stories about how people have gotten in their faces and treated them with complete contempt. They are ignored, they are persecuted, they are treated like animals. These people, once you get to know them are some of the kindest, friendliest people you could ever meet, and they deserve far more acceptance than our culture gives them. So for once, I applaud someone for doing something about it, by not using a derogatory term as the name for the team mascot. Its just nice to see these hardworking people get an ounce of respect for once.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I read someplace that said Pork Chop is derogatory towards the Portugese.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

My dog is named Pork Chop. I think I better go apologize to her. I thought we were making fun of her weight problem as a puppy, I have no idea if she is hispanic. This is troubling, do I rename her? We already named our second dog Applesauce, I'm afraid that won't make sense if we rename 'Chops. What happens if I am out walking her, and she runs off, I now run the risk of offending a whole population by calling after my dog?

We already named our second dog Applesauce,

I'm Belgian and this is very offensive to me. Our people have been invaded and dominated by every country in Europe at one point or another. We got beat by both the Dutch and French for heaven's sake. Luxemburg took a shot at us. As a people we have been considered to be about as effective at defending our borders as applesauce. It really hurts when I see people use the term. Now if you will excuse me I've got to go back to making waffles for my new masters...the Swedes.

p.s. do you name all your pets after food or is that some sort of coincidence?

Maybe we need to figure out something else to call pig meat also.

Tonight I'm calling it dinner.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

No, seriously... I'd be fine with being sensitive when saying "P*** C***" is someone could tell me what the hell it meant.

I've spent the last half hour searching for you. This is all I came up with.

http://www.rsdb.org/rsdb.csv According to this it's derogatory term for portgeuse simply because it sounds similar. Judging from the amount of terms in the list and the lack of anything relating to Peurto Rico I'd have to think it's either very limited in it's usage or very provincial in nature. The list is actually interesting on it's own. I had no idea of half those existed words or their meaning.

Archived