Brewer Fanatic

Tad Iguchi to Baltimore? (If the Cubs get Brian Roberts)

I've seen Roberts' name mentioned as a possible trade target for the Cubs a couple of times, but it always just says he fits the mold of what the Cubs are looking to add.

Has anyone seen anything more concrete than that? It seems like Baltimore should consider moving him, since a total rebuild is in order, I'm curious as to what the Cubs would have to give up.

He certainly hasn't BB'd more than he's K'd in MLB thus far, but he does carry a very nice OBP. His fielding this year (according to RZR) was average to below-average, but you have to take defensive metrics with the requisite grains of salt.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

For what it's worth, Roberts' VORP for 2007 was 28th among all position players, and 3rd among all 2nd baseman (Utley and Polanco). He finished with a higher VORP than any hitter on the Cubs. The only Brewers higher were Fielder and Braun. He's one of the best 2nd basemen in the game. Over the next two years (and only that), I'd rather have Roberts than Weeks (given Weeks struggles in the field.

I saw a report somewhere that the O's GM was trying to shop him, but Angelos loves him and Markakis and has vetoed trades including them in the past. The report said they were probably available but it would take a ton for the O's to give them up.

I don't know how many times someone has had to say something like this already, but it's early December.

It's early December.

It's early December.

I think we all need reminders of that man, I know I do...

The problem for me is, all this "talk" of trade rumors, etc, just gets the blood pumping, once that starts, I want gratification...lol

I'm sure our problems will be ironed out soon enough, my guess is that there are deals out there that we know nothing about at this point, and that is the story I'm sticking to.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Those silly Cubs aren't going away, and they won the thing last year. Meanwhile I don't see the Brewers doing a whole lot to be BETTER than they were last year. It's depressing.

What exactly have the Cubs actually ACCOMPLISHED to this point? They've dumped Monroe and Jones for very little, and traded Ohman for a project, along with losing Floyd.

Sure, they're involved in a bunch of rumors, but they've actually gotten worse to this point as well.

The Cubs are looking for a left-handed hitting second baseman after failing to sign free agent Kaz Matsui, who reached a deal with the Houston Astros. The Cubs' biggest offensive threats are right-handed hitters -- Alfonso Soriano, Derrek Lee and Aramis Ramirez.

Here's the part I don't quite see. What are the Cubs planning on doing with another second baseman, when they are lacking outfielders? Do they think DeRosa can play short, or are they making him a supersub or platoon guy? They dumped two lefty bats in Jones and Floyd...those weren't bad ideas I think, but did they just now notice that they don't have any lefty bats?

That said, the Astros did them a favor if losing Matsui made the Cubs shift focus to Roberts. Roberts is at least good and would help just about any team, though it's arguable whether this move would improve the Cubs given what they'd have to sacrifice in trade.

Matsui was just an odd thought on their part...he's not a lot better than the multiple middle infield options they already have, and his only advantage is hitting lefty, though you know they'd be tempted to bat him second so he can make extra outs.

Here's the part I don't quite see. What are the Cubs planning on doing with another second baseman, when they are lacking outfielders? Do they think DeRosa can play short, or are they making him a supersub or platoon guy?

Honestly, with all the talk about the Cubs acquiring another 2B, I'm beginning to wonder if they don't have DeRosa slotted into RF at this point. By the way, that would be fine with me. I'm all for that.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Maybe if we all stay real still and quiet, they won't realize they're trading for a Mark Derosa clone.

Maybe that moves DeRosa to RF and then Fukudome goes off their radar. That would indeed make me very happy.

Archived