Brewer Fanatic

Reid Nichols Q and A

Rob

Thanks for sharing that Rob. This comment applies well to the Inman conversation:

Quote:
DL: Writing about Will Inman, one of your top pitching prospects, Kevin Goldstein said there is "a mismatch in terms of stats and stuff. Scouts wonder if (his) arsenal will work at the upper levels." What do you see when you look at Inman?

RN: I see a pitcher who has been having success against his peers. He?s the same age, or younger, than the guys he?s been playing against. Not only does he know how to pitch, you have to give his stuff credit, too. It?s not below-average. He has an above-average curveball, and an average fastball. What he?s doing is legitimate.

That's the one big thing that bugs me about Inman, is that people say his stuff is average or below average, when it really isn't. Most of the people that write about him seem to be copying and pasting what they read about him other places, and it just gets carried from one place to the next.

Because of that there is no other player in the Brewers system that I would like to see for myself than Inman.

Another interesting comment:

Quote:
DL: Next to health, what is the top priority for pitchers?

RN: Our philosophy is built around throwing strikes early in the count. We like to get outs in the first three pitches as much as possible. We stress fastball command and having the ability to throw a quality off-speed pitch for a strike.

If that is truly their philosophy, which I completely agree with, wouldn't their target be to add players to their system that are best suited to accomplish these things? Two of the team's top picks over the last three years have been high school pitchers whose strengths are their raw stuff and their weaknesses are their ability to command their stuff and the strike zone in general.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

David Laurila has consistently done a nice job with his interviews -- I've been in touch with him recently, and hope to meet up with him at one of his regular New England haunts this year, likely in Pawtucket.

We learned several new aspects of how the Brewers' operate within this one Q&A -- can't ask for much more than that when reading such a piece -- good stuff.

Colby, it someone with average stuff can have success throwing it over the plate, then perhaps they feel someone with fantastic stuff will dominate throwing it over the plate. Just a thought

Brewer Fanatic Staff

colbyjack - there is nothing more interesting then watching Will Inman in person... I encourage you to go watch him ASAP... he is AMAZING!!

Keep in mind the thread we've updated this offseason with audio (and some video) news from Brevard County, linked below. We should all have opportunities to "see" Will this season, at least on occasion.

p092.ezboard.com/fbrewers...3956.topic

Archived