Brewer Fanatic

Bowden asks for Weeks for Cordero

Not ready to give up on Rickie yet, I still feel an enormous breakout coming. He's right behind Braun, Prince and Yo in untouchable land in my eyes.

Personally, I think Weeks had somewhat of a breakout year last season. He led the team in OBP and regained his power stroke over the last few months. I'm most looking forward to watching him further develop next season.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not ready to give up on Rickie yet, I still feel an enormous breakout coming. He's right behind Braun, Prince and Yo in untouchable land in my eyes.

Personally, I think Weeks had somewhat of a breakout year last season. He led the team in OBP and regained his power stroke over the last few months. I'm most looking forward to watching him further develop next season.

I agree, I love his ability to get on base even with a low BA. And like you said, his power stroke really seemed to come on at the end of the season. I think(hope) it is due to him getting 100% healthy and finally settling into that lead off spot.

When I say breakout though, I mean monster numbers. Chase Utley type numbers, without the .330 BA. Maybe .280 with a .400 OBP. I also think he could approach Utley's .566 SLG. If he gets closer to 600 ABs instead of 400 I think he has more HRs and triples, and slightly fewer doubles than Utley had.

I think it's safe to say that would qualify as a monster breakout and would make us all very happy.

I was streaming WSSP at work today and heard that Melvin turned down C. Cordero for Weeks and I had a little chuckle. I was just glad this was announced after Sparky was off the air, because if I would have had to listen to him try to justify sending a young 5 tool player on the brink of his best years to Washington for a closer, it would have driven me mad. It was bad enough listening to him try to justify the Brewers paying Rolen's entire 13 million dollar per year contract and how we have the money to spend. Sounds like a Jim Bowden in the making, maybe someone will hire Sparky to be a GM in the bigs.

I'm so glad Melvin isn't even considering moving Weeks. If the Brewers are to improve it's gonna come from a monster breakout Rickie year. Gotta keep this guy because eventually he gonna cash it in big time.

As much as I've been disappointed in Rickie, there's no way I trade him for Cordero. Rickie better show us this year he can play. I'm tired of his injury concerns and I don't doubt his natural ability, but eventually you have to perform. Weeks was drafted high and to be honest when demoted to Nashville his attitude was pretty bad. I'd suggest Weeks play better so he doesn't have to come to Nashville and be so upset. If Weeks stays healthy and performs like he did a few years ago -- in the minors, he could be a great 2B. I'm still not convinced he'll be a star. His OBP is real good, but when we drafted him and based on his performances in the minors I didn't think...wow what a great OBP! I thought more of the power and speed this kid had. If all he is known for in his career is OBP, he's a bust of a pick. Rickie hopefully got the wake up call when demoted...which IMO he deserved.

JJ7, it's pretty unfair to pin a guy's physical ailments as somehow part of his work ethic or attitude. Rickie's WOAHs thus far have had so much more to do with his wrist(s) than anything else. I don't know what attitude problems/concerns you cite - all I know is that he's back physically, and set to make you happy in 2008 - a la Hardy in 2007 (not aimed at you specifically).
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Rickie's attitude was horrible when on the Sounds. He wasn't excited about the demotion to say the least -- per players on the Sounds. This is the second straight season Weeks has had these wrist problems -- who knows if they're really gone. I don't doubt his work ethic, but his attitude I do. He really has to do something to prove his worth. Two straight disappointing (possible full years) in the bigs doesn't impress me. I have a feeling this wrist injury may not be over, but I sure hope it is. I'm not going to give Rickie more excuses. He's been passed up now by quite a few players on the Brewers -- Braun, Fielder, Hart, and Yo by a pure prospect having success in the bigs. Rickie -- it's time to show up. Rickie will be 26 by the time 2008 ends. I've lost my patience with him. If he doesn't like being sent down to AAA, then play up to your potential in the bigs.

Yeah I'm not sure where the attitude thing from Weeks comes from either. He's always seemed very humble but of course he's going to be disappointed about being demoted. However, we didn't hear a thing about him disrupting the team in the media and it sounds like he took the demotion about as well as you could take it. That, to me, shows great character.

If he doesn't like being sent down to AAA, then play up to your potential in the bigs.
Again what makes you think this didn't have to do with his wrist? We knew it was going to take a year to heal.

My point is that he was sent down to AAA and then came up and played better for Milwaukee. That had nothing to do with the wrist.

As far as the attitude, that's straight from players he played for while with the Sounds. He wasn't too pleased about getting sent down and made that known with the Sounds.

I think Weeks does have a tremdous upside. I, however feel that he has yet to produce at a consistent basis at the major league level. The brewers need to move out of the cycle of letting players develop at the majors and start putting the very best team they can on the field every day to win ballgames. They have enough talent now to keep players in the minors until they are ready.

I think Weeks does have a tremdous upside. I, however feel that he has yet to produce at a consistent basis at the major league level. The brewers need to move out of the cycle of letting players develop at the majors and start putting the very best team they can on the field every day to win ballgames. They have enough talent now to keep players in the minors until they are ready.

thing is, very few players are more than mediocre as rookies, even if they turn out great. they need the MLB experience; they'll never truly be MLB-ready until they are actually in the majors.

My point is that he was sent down to AAA and then came up and played better for Milwaukee. That had nothing to do with the wrist.
I think JJ actually has a point here. When Weeks was sent down to AAA, Yost made a point of mentioning that his demotion wasn't injury related. Yost said he had just gotten into so many bad habits that his swing needed to be rehabilitated.

Of course, it is quite likely that he messed his swing up compensating for his wrist earlier in the season. But I would say at the time of his demotion, his wrist was healed - and he was just playing poorly.

Rickie's attitude was horrible when on the Sounds. He wasn't excited about the demotion to say the least -- per players on the Sounds. This is the second straight season Weeks has had these wrist problems -- who knows if they're really gone. I don't doubt his work ethic, but his attitude I do. He really has to do something to prove his worth. Two straight disappointing (possible full years) in the bigs doesn't impress me. I have a feeling this wrist injury may not be over, but I sure hope it is. I'm not going to give Rickie more excuses. He's been passed up now by quite a few players on the Brewers -- Braun, Fielder, Hart, and Yo by a pure prospect having success in the bigs. Rickie -- it's time to show up. Rickie will be 26 by the time 2008 ends. I've lost my patience with him. If he doesn't like being sent down to AAA, then play up to your potential in the bigs.

I'd be upset if Rickie wasn't pissed about being sent down.

But you know what...he went down there and hit well and tore the cover off the ball when he returned. Enough said. Don't paint the kid with attitude problems because of this. From talks I have had with a certain Brewer on the coaching staff-he was no problem at all. Estrada, Jenkins (even w his full page add), and Billy Hall had the biggest egos by far on that team. Two of those guys are gone and don't be surprised if Billy takes a trip out of Milwaukee soon as well.

While Rickie is the only guy Ive had on my team since Day 1 (3 years ago) in my keeper league, Ive been weary of him. I think he's got loads of potential, but its about staying healthy and putting the entire package together. While his OBP was high in the final few months, his BA then fell off, but he sustained his OBP because of other outlets.

2008 Season:

Optimistic: .320/32HR/114Runs/42SB/.389OBP

Pessimistic: .282/23HR/72Runs/27SB/.358OBP

Thats if he stays healthy.

Its amazing. Its like some people who follow the Brewers just assume Weeks was bad last year. Once again Week's final numbers:

.235/.374/.433

Those are great numbers

His on base numbers were great, but where's the home run power? It used to be a debate over who the better prospect was (Weeks or Fielder). I don't even think it's close as to who is the better big league player as of now. Can he turn it around? Yea, but it's not like he's a 22 year old or anything.

His on base numbers were great, but where's the home run power? It used to be a debate over who the better prospect was (Weeks or Fielder). I don't even think it's close as to who is the better big league player as of now. Can he turn it around? Yea, but it's not like he's a 22 year old or anything.

When Weeks went under the knife (again) to repair his injured wrist, doctors speculated that the injury/surgery takes about a calendar year to fully heal.

Weeks' 1st half could best be described as disappointing, other than the fact that he gutted it out, played through pain, but struggled to adjust his swing to compensate for the weakness in his hands.

He happened to get sent down to AAA very close to a full calendar year after undergoing the wrist surgery, and after being recalled, he was arguably the best offensive player in baseball closing out 2007.

He hit 11 HR in the final two months of the season, 9 in September. He hit around .300 for Aug-Sept, and got on base at around a .450 clip. His season totals may look pedestrian, but once he was fully healthy, only Fielder and Braun hit more HR.

I wonder how many guys have had the rough times Weeks had last year and then come back to do what he did in Aug-Sept. I mean I really wonder; I don't know. But I was impressed.

Even if last year's season totals were all we could expect from Weeks, his offense at 2b would not be that easy to replace. Add that he's still very young, cheap . . . He has obvious potential, and he has actually shown over a couple of months that he can reach it. On the other hand, his great weakness last year was BA, the most overvalued stat, so we'd have to sell him at a discount despite what he brings to the table. I just can't imagine somebody whom I'd less like to trade.

At the risk of beating my personal Weeks mantra into the ground (it's been a couple months, at least) -- if he can hit .270, with his secondary numbers from last year, he's All-Star caliber. If he can hit .285 and increase his power production at all, he'll get MVP votes. I would bet a lot that he can hit .270.

Greg.

I don't believe the Brewers should trade him, but I do believe Weeks needs to put together a full season in 2008. No injuries and no excuses. Maybe the wrist was the cause for everything, but maybe he shouldn't have been struggling to play through it (ie give him some rest).

I'd like nothing more than to see Weeks perform very well in 2008. I do think there comes a point and time where a decision will have to be made at 2B if Weeks can't put together a full season. I can see why we might be selling low IF the Brewers trade him (I don't believe they will nor should they), but the potential word has been thrown around a lot with Weeks and I still would imagine he has a ton of trade value.

I have no interest in trading Weeks at all. I understand that he has been inconsistent but he has shown flashes and I would hate to be playing against him in a few years. Imagine the Indians lineup with Brandon Phillips, and I think Weeks will be better than Phillips.

Archived