Brewer Fanatic

Sheets? Latest: Dodgers, Mariners

• The Orioles and Dodgers may be close on a deal that will send left-hander Erik Bedard to Los Angeles, a baseball source said. The O's are in need of a center fielder and a closer who can play at the major league level, and the Dogders seem willing to part with outfielder Matt Kemp and reliever Jonathan Broxton, who could come in a close in lieu of Chris Ray, out for the year after Tommy John surgery. "They want Bedard bad," said the source.

ESPN.com Amy Nelson

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me, Sheets is like the original nintendo after a few years. It only half-worked and you had to blow in it every so often in just the right way to make it work, but when it did, it was awesome. Trading Sheets is like throwing that NES against the wall in frustration. Sure, you don't have to deal with those frustrating moments when the video game system malfunctions and all you get is a blue screen, but now all you have left to play with is tidily-winks.

That is either the post of the year or a felony....I'm not sure which.

To me, Sheets is like the original nintendo after a few years. It only half-worked and you had to blow in it every so often in just the right way to make it work, but when it did, it was awesome. Trading Sheets is like throwing that NES against the wall in frustration. Sure, you don't have to deal with those frustrating moments when the video game system malfunctions and all you get is a blue screen, but now all you have left to play with is tidily-winks.

That is either the post of the year or a felony....I'm not sure which.

I'd go with post of the year.

Now that Capuano seems to be sticking around, I think he needs to remain in the rotation. With Santana is all but assured a spot in the Boston Rotation, I think that the Yankees are going to be forced to act. Melvin should tell them Hughes and Jose Veras or Ross Olhendorf. It might not seem like an improvement, but then you have to take into account that we Dump Sheets salary and can put that towards a guy like Dotel or Gagne. OR we can simply set that money aside in a fund for a mid season acquisition.

If Seattle has inquired about Sheets, what kind of mega-deal can be put together to fill some of the Brewers' needs?

How about:

Sheets, Mench (platoon-mate for Ibanez), Salome (Kenji's successor?), and Gamel

for

Adam Jones, Jeff Clemment, & Brandon Morrow

Now I know there's a dozen reasons why the Mariners wouldn't make the deal and another dozen why the Brewers wouldn't.

All that aside, is it

1- a 'fair' deal

2- could Jones fill the 2-hole in the lineup? what does he project to?

3- what's Morrow's ceiling?

Thoughts?

• The Orioles and Dodgers may be close on a deal that will send left-hander Erik Bedard to Los Angeles, a baseball source said. The O's are in need of a center fielder and a closer who can play at the major league level, and the Dogders seem willing to part with outfielder Matt Kemp and reliever Jonathan Broxton, who could come in a close in lieu of Chris Ray, out for the year after Tommy John surgery. "They want Bedard bad," said the source.

ESPN.com Amy Nelson

Guess this means there's no way we'd get Kemp and Broxton for Sheets then, huh? Bedard > Sheets

With all of these teams that were aggressively pursuing Bedard, maybe one of them will get desperate after he is off the market and make a crazy offer for Sheets. Someone like the Mariners or Blue Jays could become desperate to add a frontline starter after seeing Santana and Bedard leave the market and overpay for Ben. It wishful thinking, but these guys getting traded early in the offseason can only improve Sheets' trade value.

The Brewers would really have to be swayed to trade a chip that could be an express ticket to the playoffs. We're all so eager to buy the Rolen lottery ticket, and then we're just as eager, if not more eager, to trade a bonafide winner, albeit beat up... If we could get the Kemp/Broxton package or Alex Rios for Sheets, I think it would be worthwhile, but I would let the market dictate what we can get. As any fan of Benny knows, pitchers get injured at the most inopportune of times and in the most inexplicable of ways... Just wait for it and pray it isn't Benny.

Archived