Brewer Fanatic

Sheets? Latest: Dodgers, Mariners

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The 30 best pitchers are #1's, and there's no doubt Sheets is one of them.
Your going to find strong disagreement from me here. Your only as good as your history shows, and I can name 30 pitchers whos 2007 I would have rather had than Sheets 2007.

If your going to tell me that when he is on the mound he is top 30, heck yes thats true. He is top 10.

So is Pedro Martinez. So was Bartolo Colon.

Except Colon and Pedro are (insert one old/fat/washedup/arm/shoulderproblems) and Ben isn't. Be he is 28 years old without a history of arm or shoulder problems.

As far as the money goes, Im pretty sure the Brewers can afford to pay him. Baseball is as rich as it has ever been. The proof is in the pudding and guys like Cordero get 12 million per and platoon outfielders almost 10 million (jenkins).

If/when Sheets is traded, there will be threads popping up on this site with the question "How do we trade for/sign an 'Ace' pitcher?" because we will have just traded ours.

I think some of Suppan's money/signing was because he is dependable -- 30+ starts each year, 6 IP/start -- and he has playoff experience which we hope will be put to use over the next few years. Ben is among the best 10 starters when healthy, but his track record is questionable right now. No doubt if healthy Ben is a $18-20 M per year player on the open market, which is on par with Soup being a $10M/year pitcher. But if Ben cannot be counted on for half of his starts again, then is relative value goes down. For a team with limited revenue we can't get into a Pavano scenario -- pay premium for DL time. If Ben is healthy, and shows his stuff the first half of the year, I'd be all for offering an extension and agressively pursuing him next year.

Minor detail in trading for a guy like Ellsbury, or any CF for that matter. What does that do to any value Gwynn has right now? If he's not going to get a shot why not trade him? I have to believe someone out there would give up something of value right now, if not on name alone.

I'm not saying I wouldn't pull the trigger for this reason alone, I'm more or less saying just trade the guy now while he might have a smudge of value still.

OK obligatory "DougSpeak" comment here:

Doug just claimed on Homer's show that he has had no discussions with Boston.

So this mean that Sheets is traded, and an announcement will be made tomorrow. That'll free up the 40 man for Riske.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

"There was a club that asked about [sheets], but it wasn't on the East Coast," Melvin said.
If Seattle is the club asking about Sheets, I would probably ask for catcher Jeff Clement and Aussie lefty Ryan Rowland-Smith in return. I wouldn't mind giving them Mench too if they want.

When he said west coast team, I wondered about the Dodgers. They do have multiple young players to deal from, and they've said they wanted to add a veteran starter, if possible.

I seriously doubt this will ever go anywhere, but it's certainly interesting.

The Dodgers certainly have a few players that the Brewers would love to get- Laroche and Broxton would be a heck of a starting point.

You guys are going to have to stop making offers like this. I may never stop drooling.

Kemp is a stud but I would package a deal around Kershaw. Whatever it took to get Kershaw (within reason) I would go with. I'd love our rotation of the future with Yo, Kershaw, Villanueva, and Parra in it. It would be great for the long run.

But if he can't be had I would love Kemp. He's a pretty good "consolation" present.

Archived