Brewer Fanatic

Sheets? Latest: Dodgers, Mariners

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah it will be a very interesting week throughout baseball. With such a weak year for free agents, and the quality free agents have almost dried up, teams are looking to fill holes through trade. Johan Santana is almost a lock to be traded. Miguel Cabrara is probably at least 50/50 to be traded. Joe Nathan, Eric Bedard, Dontell Willis, Dan Haren, Ben Sheets, Miguel Tejada, Jason Bay, Scott Rolen all seem to have a plethora of rumors swirling around each.

Also, the Mariners haven't made there yearly blunder of the year. So it will be interesting to see who they give away this year, or what average player they sign to a absurd contract.

Also, the Mariners haven't made there yearly blunder of the year. So it will be interesting to see who they give away this year, or what average player they sign to a absurd contract.

You might as well consider Bay a lock to be traded then, too. The Pirates will probably trade him for a minor league catcher that is 26 years old already. And don't forget Bedard. The Orioles will trade him for two middle relievers that had a poor K/BB ratio and a poor FIP, yet nearly led the league in ERA. These are the sort of offseason moves you can set your watch to.

You might as well consider Bay a lock to be traded then, too. The Pirates will probably trade him for a minor league catcher that is 26 years old already. And don't forget Bedard. The Orioles will trade him for two middle relievers that had a poor K/BB ratio and a poor FIP, yet nearly led the league in ERA. These are the sort of offseason moves you can set your watch to.

The Orioles are far from a well run organization, but if they even consider trading Bedard, he isn't going to come cheap at all. As for Bay, the Pirates i believe have a new GM.

Here's looking forward to what should be a heck of a week at the Winter Meetings....

Me too, great way to break the monotony of work. It's gonna be an exciting Winter Meeting for Brewers fans.

I'm now praying that the Red Sox is the loser in the Santana sweepstakes, and that they might be motivated to make an aggressive offer for Sheets. Hopefully Lester and Ellsbury for Sheets, that would be really good.

Id send Sheets to Boston for Ellsbury and a reliever for sure. This team has boatloads of future stud relievers. As far as Ellsbury, he plays some of the best defense you can in CF, and fills our need (IMO) at leadoff hitter and high OB%. The cost savings from Moving Big Ben Sheets for Ellsbury would be gigantic for a mid-market club. We could put this money towards so many things.

Well if the Sox won't put Lester and Ellsbury together for Santana, we aren't getting that package for Sheets. Ellsbury and Delcarmen or Craig Hansen, i can see as a possibility. I would assume Hall would then go to 3rd, Braun to left. A quick opinion question, if Sheets is traded and a starter is not acquired in return is Cappy then off the market? I guess I am of the opinion that he would be kept for depth purposes.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Here's a quick question, as I don't follow the minors as much as some.

Is Ellsbury supposed to develop a little bit of power? I only ask as he hit 10 dingers (and not a lot of doubles) in over 1000 minor league PA's. I realize minor league numbers in the power categories aren't real good indicators of future power, but the question can still be asked.

I realize he's a highly touted prospect for his speed and OBP abilities, but at a glance, he doesn't look like a lot more than a slight upgrade over Tony Gwynn Jr.

I know he put up big numbers in 116 AB's in Boston last year, but I remember many saying Gwynn should be the CF starter here after he was hitting well over .300 in his first 50 or so at bats as well.

I'm not down on this guy, but I wouldn't want him to be the centerpiece of a deal for Sheets.

Heck I have long advocated a Sheets for Hansen and DelCarmen swap. Our bullpen would be absolutely phenomenal. Our rotation on the other hand, not so much most likely, if both Sheets and Cappy get traded our rotation may all of a sudden be rather thin and perhaps Doug will have to make a trade for another starter.

Again, I just can't see this happening because what the Sox really want to do is dump Crisp. There's no way Melvin is interested in that. Ellsbury seems untouchable to me, but what do I know. Lester can be had, so that's at least interesting. I'd say this is one of those "almost" trades that really doesn't make sense in the end. Now, if the Yanks really do pull the trigger on Santana, maybe they'll up the ante.

I'm selling on this. The Providence Journal? I don't care if Sheets is in in his contract year, keep him. His value in trade would not be as high as his possible value to us this year as we try to make the playoffs. I don't care if we can sign him next year. Win now.

Ellsbury is just 2 years out of college, and gets on base at every level. I did not see him play much, but he is renowned for his defense, though his arm is just ok. There's a reason the Twins keep holding out for him.

It's tough to project him as anything less than a very good leadoff CF, like a Lofton.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Ellsbury is just 2 years out of college, and gets on base at every level. I did not see him play much, but he is renowned for his defense, though his arm is just ok. There's a reason the Twins keep holding out for him.

It's tough to project him as anything less than a very good leadoff CF, like a Lofton.

Like I said, I don't "dislike" the guy, and I would certainly be happy to have him, I just don't like him as the main component in a Sheets trade. My own opinion is that Sheets isn't an "ace" in the truest sense of the word, but many view him as such, and the Brewers should get a return accordingly. If it's Lester (or another top arm) and Ellsbury, I'm all aboard.

ok, I can handle sarcasm, but it helps if you add in a thought or two of your own instead of just criticism. If Mench needs to go into the Stl. deal, then maybe we add Parra to the deal. I dont want to make up a proposal that involves 4 or 5 Brewers going to OAK for Haren. Hall is signed to a great contract and could play SS over the disappointing Crosby, Gwynn is ready to start in CF and Parra could go into the back of their rotation.

Archived