Brewer Fanatic

Another X-Box 360 thread....

parkside21

Okay, so I'm sure there have been 100 of these threads before, but, I looked through the old threads and it seems like they are always coming out with different versions and hardware, so, I want to be sure I am reading the most up-to-date advice from you guys.

For years I've been a PS2 guy, in fact I'm still plugging away on my first-gen circa 1999 PS2 that has never let me down. That said, it's time to step up and buy myself an X-mas present of my own, and I decided I'm gonna make the big switch to Xbox, more specifically, an Xbox 360. Like I said, I'm a PS2 guy and have never really played a standard Xbox, let alone the 360, for more than 10 minutes at a time in a store, or here and there, but from everything I've read, the 360 seems superior to the PS3. I'm not crazy about the Xbox controller layout, but I guess it'll grow on me, just like the PS2's did. So anyways, I'm pretty set on the 360 over the PS3, so I don't mean for this thread to be a debate between the two, I just want to know what I should be looking for in a 360. My gaming habits are mostly sports games (specifically Madden, college football, and baseball) and some first-person shooter games, but I prefer those on the PC. I'm not really into online play, 90 percent of my gaming time is spent in 1 player modes on sports games working on a franchise or dynasty against the computer.

So, can I get away with just getting the Arcade version for $279? Or should I step up to one of the "elite" systems? Will I really use the 20gb hard drive? If so, how? Or is the 256mb on the Arcade version enough for me? Finally, if it makes any difference, I'll be using it with my 32" JVC....it's about 5 years old. I don't plan on getting an HDTV anytime in the near future, probably at least 2 years away.

Any advice you can offer would be appreciated. Thank you.

edit: I plan on making my purchase in the next two weeks or so if that matters.

A few things:

1) Get the hard drive. The demos are worth it. And each demo is about 1 GB so you'll need the space.

2) Right now you get Forza 2 and Marvel Ultimate Alliance free with purchase of a pro system. So for $80 more you get two full games plus the hard drive.

3) If you don't have one yet, you can sign up for a Target credit card and get 10% off of anything including a 360

4) Any of the new bundles (i Arcade label or pro bundle) has the new hardware.

5). For a possibly cheap HD solution you can pick up a VGA cable for the 360 to attach to a CRT monitor you may have to give you full HD signals.

End, is this the bundle you are referring to? Best Buy seems to have a similar bundle, but for some reason theirs appears to come with a 512mb hard drive, instead of the 20gb one that is offered in the wal-mart bundle. Is this bundle specific to wal-mart (with the 20gb) or just for a limited time, or am I just looking in the wrong place on the best buy site?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7934351

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=WZJM0FGXODYKPKC4D3JVAFQ?skuId=8492838&st=xbox+360&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1186003685732

edit: errrr....is the 512mb memory that is mentioned on the Best Buy site the RAM or something? I guess that would make more sense, but in the best buy product summary they speak nothing of the hard drive size, so I guess that's why I'm confused. Thanks in advance.

Yeah that 512 mb is the onboard RAM. The Pro bundle can be found anywhere basically, hence the Target thing. Depending upon how much time you want to wait, often Best Buy, Circuit City or even Toys R Us will have additional free games or a free second controller. There will probably be another such sale between now and Christmas, but the Target discount is always there for new card members.

The Pro bundle with packaged games is suppsoedly for the winter only, but wil liekly last untilt eh next bundle is brought out.

The Arcade version comes with a 512mb memory card (256mb on board link). The hard drive is needed for backwards compatibility and downloading movies/tv shows/game demos. You can find a hard drive on ebay for $50-$70 on ebay if you don't want to pony up now.
20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

As end said, the hard drive is worth it if only to download the demos. Heck, I've put 5+ hours into just messing around with demos of games I know I'll never buy.

If you are a single player kind of guy, when it comes to non-sports games, you have to check out Mass Effect and Bioshock.

Bioshock is a great game. I also enjoyed condemned, which is a horror game and it should be fairly cheap now if you are interested. If you have high speed internet you'll probably want the hard drive. If not, you're still missing out on the backwards compatibility and I would imagine game saves might become a bit of a problem/hassle in the future with the memory card.

I picked up a Pro a week ago. Get the warranty! Mine died in the first 5 hours, DVD went poof. The Hard drive is pretty neat, but not necessary, I got mine for Rock Band and Guitar Hero and planned to download new content, so that's what I got it.

Anyone see the quality of the HD DVD player?

Doesn't the warranty come standard on it? Microsoft extended the manufacturers warranty to three years, correct? Sgtcluels, were you referring to the store specific warranty that basically everywhere offers now for an add on 30 bucks or whatever?

I also was a PS and PS2 guy, never even touched an XBox before last year. I love love love love the 360.

I reccomend Bioshock, Mass Effect, Halo 3, Gears of War, The Orange Box, and Dead Rising. The sports games aren't as crisp as on PS2 just yet, but are playable (unlike PS3's).

The HD-DVD also comes with 5 free movies now with the same ($179?) price tag.

That's what I'm thinking too, about renting BioShock....it actually looks like a very cool game, but probably something that can be beat over X-mas break or something, so I'll probably just go the way of renting. Thanks for the game recs.

So, what is the difference in the warranties then?

When you pay $50 you get 2 years in addidtion to the original 3 years. I am not sure if I would do the 2 additional years now that they offer 3 years upfront. I would however do the 2 year waranty if the 360 only came with a 90 day waranty. My original Xbox broke and it cost $75(should have been $125, but thats another story) for them to fix it, so $50 isn't that bad of a deal.

BTW, if you are going to do Xbox Live, I reccomend going to a store and getting a card to activate it. You usually get a free month(13 months) when you buy a card in the store as oppesed to 12 months if you just order it over your Xbox. I know it is only a free month, but do it for a few years and it adds up.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• 1 month later...

Archived