Brewer Fanatic

Summer Baseball Minor League Roadtrip - ideas?

parkside21

So, I am planning on taking a solo road trip this summer. Obviously, I want it to center around the Brewers, and more specifically, a Brewers affiliate. We had a great time last March at spring training and the ease of which to get autographs really kind of got me into collecting them (along with T-Rat games). Therefore, I'm looking at visiting one of our affiliates, likely in mid-June. I've never visited any of our current affiliates, so I'm hoping to get feedback from those that have gone before.

My main options are as follows:

Helena

West Virginia

Huntsville

Of course, rooting for any Brewers farmhand is a big part of the trip, but I'd also like to consider the following:

1.) Availability of top prospect autographs, including the Brewers (looks like next year's Huntsville team could be stacked), and whomever their opponents might be while I'm in town.

2.) Interest of the drive and things to see along the way (afterall, this is a road trip).

3.) Interesting things to do in the area while I'm in town.

I also haven't totally ruled out the idea of visiting an opposing team's stadium, so long as they are of course playing a Brewers affiliate at the time, and I might also turn it into a two or three city trip if the dates, and team schedule fit mine. I'm a teacher, so I pretty much have most of the summer free, but budget wise, I'm looking at something that will last 5-7 days, including driving. I realize it's early, too early probably to project where many of our prospects will be playing this year, but this recent snowstorm has me itching for a summer baseball road trip.

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Josh

I have a good friend that played in Knoxville last year (AA Cubs), and we drove down and saw him play. They are in the same league as Huntsville so if you could work out a trip between Knoxville and Nashville (about a three hour drive, maybe a little more) it would be cool. That is what we did last year. Both cities are really neat places with lots to do. Knoxville is in the foothills of the Smoky Mountains and beautiful, and we have been to Nashville three times and always had a blast. The stadium in Nashville is weak but seems to be good for player access and the one in Knoxville is beautiful. You could even hit up the West Tenn Diamond Jaxx if the spirit so moved you. We are seriously considering doing it again this year, I would recommend it to anyone.

West Virginia, Nashville and Huntsville are all kind of in the same vicinity. If you have enough time to take I would personally try to coordinate a trip that you get to see all three. You may have to wait a little while for the schedules to come out to try and figure that out, and you might even be able to line it up when the Brewers are in Cincy or Pittsburgh.

wv is pretty far from huntsville...

if you work the schedule right, however, you could hit all pretty close to each other...like a nashville game on your way down to huntsville and then a single a game somewhere near huntsville...

avoid brevard...it's a cool park, but it's nowhere

WV is pretty far, but that's probably my dream road trip: Milwaukee to Pittsburgh to WV to Nashville to Huntsville. If your time is limited and you're looking for more bang for your buck, I definitely agree with pogo's suggestions by going to Nashville and Huntsville, which aren't that far apart from one another with plenty of other teams that play in that general area.

If you're looking for the most prospects and future big-leaguers as an autograph seeker, definitely go to Huntsville.

If you're looking for the best overall experience, Nashville is a cool town but has a crappy stadium. West Virginia's stadium from everything I've heard is very nice and is only a couple of years old. Huntsville's stadium according to several people around here that have been there isn't that great.

I gotta say that the Helena idea is pretty cool. I don't remember anyone else ever plan/take a road trip to Helena. If you're flying solo, that could be a long, long trip alone, although there is quite a bit to see along the way as long as you don't go through Iowa and Nebraska (the Badlands, Black Hills, no speed limit in Montana http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif).

Nashville and Huntsville are only two hours apart (approx. 115 miles), so you definitely want to focus on combining your trip when those teams are at home, although you have some flexibility with other cities hosting Pacific Coast League or Southern League teams in Tennessee (Jackson, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Memphis) and Alabama (Montgomery, Birmingham, Mobile) giving you the ability to mix and match. Depending on the combination, your destinations will be 2-5 hours apart.

Huntsville's schedule is out, Nashville's is not yet.

In late June, the Stars will be in Zebulon, NC, and the Power will be in Greensboro. I hear that's a nice part of the country, especially at that time of year, if you're out of school by then. So you can definitely get creative by analyzing home and road schedules. Personally, I'd rather experience the affiliates' home parks, but that need not be a necessity, obviously.

Be sure to mention your trip once finalized on this forum. Not only may there be other Brewerfan readers who might be able to meet you at the ballpark on their own trips, but there are loyal local fans of these affiliates who frequent these boards who may offer to get in touch with you and show you around the ballpark.

Have fun!

Nashville and Huntsville are only two hours apart (approx. 115 miles)

And it's mostly highway driving so it'll easy take under 2 hours to get there.

I think I'll throw my 2 cents in here since I live between Nashville and Huntsville and have been to both. Nashville's stadium is a dump. It's horrible compared to where the T-Rats play...but they do a lot of things that will make you feel that your expensive ticket ($10 is the highest it goes http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif ) was well worth it. They have tons of giveaways at the gate, give coupons out left and right for free stuff you'll actually use, have great between innings entertainment, and have a "college night", which is beer night on Thursdays. If you want to see some southern college aged people at the game dressed like they're out for the night, go on Thursday night. I've never seen anything like it. College girls are all over the ballpark on Thursdays (and guys too). It's easily the best attendance night they have.

Now to the baseball fan aspect...I usually sit front row by the bullpen and I think it's a great experience. It's way better than the T Rats (even before they added the bleachers). I got to know quite a few players this year and not on an annoying fan base (sorry if that sounds true, but annoying fans drive me nuts). The guys will talk baseball with you if you're a normal fan and don't act like they're these amazing guys. I met Sarfate and Parra personally and I can say they are both stand up guys and I enjoyed shooting the breeze with them. Most of Nashville's players will talk to you and sign autographs before the game, during the (a bit), and a little after. If you get there 30 minutes before the game, you can get anyone's autograph -- Nashville isn't big into baseball, but the Sounds love Brewers fans.

One thing to watch out for -- especially with Nashville -- if it's a hot day the players will literally come out 15 minutes before the game (or less in some cases) and warm up real quick. If you want a position players autograph, you'll have to get a little lucky.

Huntsville is a good park -- compared to Nashville, but again it's nothing compared to the T Rats. I only went to two games, so I don't know all the ins and outs. The players this past year were real friendly and again very easy to get autographs from. The south isn't as big into baseball -- especially minor league baseball as the midwest. If you know the player's name, you'll get the autograph. I'll leave the rest of the Huntsville experience to someone here who has been there more, but the drive between the two stadiums will for sure be less than 2 hours barring anything crazy.

Nashville has a great night life and there is a ton to do downtown. I've never really stayed in Huntsville besides the games, so I don't know what's there. I know country music isn't the "coolest" thing to everyone, but if you're into country I"m sure you'll find Nashville a lot of fun -- and if you're not there are plenty of places to go. Hope this helps a bit.

Archived