Brewer Fanatic

billy hall debate

TURBO

seriosuly, what is the reason so many here think he is so special?

yes, he had a decent season 2 years ago, but if he left, I wouldn't feel good or bad. I just wouldn't care.

I think the guy is our most over-rated player we currently have, as far as the fans are concerned anyway.

just my opinion, but I can't believe all the love for him on this site, he is an average player, that would not even start on most major league rosters.

fire away!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and what good did Koskie actually do for us?

Hall is just an average player imo... in fact, I'll give you above average since he is so versitile position wise, he just doesn't excite me...

Versatile, still young, great contract, steady improvement until his off-year last year . . . nothing wrong with that package. Some people indeed overvalued Hall a bit after his 2006 breakout, and now some people appear to be undervaluing him bigtime after his 2007 slump. He'll settle in somewhere between those extremes, I'm guessing closer to the high end, and continue to be what he is -- not a great player, but a very useful one, certainly a guy who could play an important role on a championship team.

The other reason I think people are reluctant to trade Hall is that dumping guys after they have off-years is generally a really bad strategy. Capuano for Rolen makes some sense, even if you believe in Capuano, because both teams would be buying and selling low. But Hall's off-year looks like a classic aberration -- he's young, skilled, and was learning a new position -- and trading him in for what his 2007 numbers will buy would probably be a big mistake, even if you don't think he's special at his best.

Greg.

ok, I will agree to disagree, I hope you are all right and I am wrong, as what matters in the end is that the BREWERS win, and win a LOT!

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Even if Hall falls at the halfway point between his 2006 and 2007 years, he's still a plus player. His defense still needs to improve (if he's playing CF), and his OBP is never going to be great, but he still has a lot of value. Trading him after his low point season isn't really a sound roster building strategy.

I look for Hall to hit about .280, with 25 HRs. That's not irreplaceable, but it sure is solid.

I think the defensive issues he had last year were improving as the season wore on too, I'd deal him if it made the team better, but this is not a guy you just dump because last season didn't go well.

I think we might need an off-season vent thread.

He'd probably start for at least 20 teams at SS alone.

In 2006 he was arguably the best SS in MLB. Last year was certainly a down year. But he was learning a new position. He also said he had significant problems generating power after he came back from his sprained ankle. (As that was his plant foot)

I will say however, he still has the cocky/over-confidence that bothers me. He is always trying to be spectacular. (See his injury jumping off a wall that I think he had no chance of catching) He also watches his home runs as much as anyone in baseball. (The problem is a lot of them fall short of the wall)

So I do wish he would hustle more. As a starting CF he is above average. As a SS he was great.

Bill Hall is one of those ballplayers that when you are at your drunkest and you decide to comment in BF.net, you can't possibly spell his name wrong. That has to be worth something.

Yours truely,

Ed Ott

Bill Hall is one of those ballplayers that when you are at your drunkest and you decide to comment in BF.net, you can't possibly spell his name wrong. That has to be worth something.

Yours truely,

Ed Ott

That's a hilarious post, and what makes it even funnier -- I'm not being anal, I mean this admiringly -- is that you spelled "truly" wrong.

Greg.

The thing with Bill Hall is that he is a polarizing player. I say that because when he is on, he is on and looking amazing doing it. When he is bad, he is bad and looks horrible doing it. I would go so far as to compare him to a Geoff Jenkins TYPE hitter. I am not saying he is Jenkins but they do have similar styles and that is why some people love him and some people don't.

Fans hate to see players strike out and Bill does that a lot. Fans love to see players hit home runs and again, that is one of his strengths. He is flashy and that sometimes overshadows that he is simply a solid slightly above average player. 2006 was a great year for him but that was his career year. 2007 was probably a low spot for him. He will settle in somewhere between those numbers. Not amazing but not bad by any means.

As further proof that he is a polarizing player, just loook at the posts below me and see how I get ripped apart for calling BH slightly above average http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Bill Hall *is* something special if used as a SS or 2B like he should be. He's also a fine, more-than-just-servicable solution at 3B. He has no business being in the outfield and is pretty much a total joke out there. His centerfield defense seriously makes me want to kick and scream and punch walls....
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

He looked better in CF as the year went on so it wouldn't surprise me if he was better out there this season. I like Hardy at SS more than Hall though, Hall really struggles on decision making and turning double plays and just does not look natural at SS to me.

I agree that he's not an OF and that was what hurt his production last season but unfortunately we don't have alot of room in our infield for him so I don't think he's moving back. I don't think the team would want to admit their mistakes like that either. I'd like to see him traded.

Archived