Brewer Fanatic

MILB.com's Organizational Preview -- More from MiLB.com

Brewer Fanatic Staff

A nice review / preview from MiLB.com reminds us statistically just how well Tim Dillard and Joe Thatcher have been; interesting Reid Nichols quote on Steve Garrison; Alcides Escobar will return to the Florida State League; surprisingly, Darren Ford will repeat West Virginia, at least to start -- comments from Nichols again on the projected Lorenzo Cain - Cole Gillespie - Charlie Fermaint Brevard outfield, with Chris Errecart in the mix.

A very informative article for this early in spring training, with tidbits we'd have waited weeks for normally.

If Gillespie and Errecart are both skipping West Virginia, that'd be a tough loss for Power fans. Also notice how many "if's" involve the projected Power pitchers (Brae Wright, Mike Ramlow, Shawn Ferguson). I hope to be misguided in my thoughts that the West Virginia squad may need to really overachieve to be very competitive in the Sally League this spring.

web.minorleaguebaseball.c...;fext=.jsp

I don't think anyone thought that either Ford or Brantley would repeat WV. While they both have plenty to work on, I think it's clear the team feels Gillespie and Errecart are in a position to move more quickly. Let's hope they move quick enough to allow Ford and Brantley to get bumped up, as they're getting somewhat hosed by repeating low-A. At least the rest of the WV lineup will have two guys consistently on base at the top of that order.

A lineup consisting of Fermaint, Cain, Gillespie, Errecart, Gamel and even Escobar is going to score some runs this year, even in the FSL, and should be a lot of fun to follow.

I agree Jim, interesting to see Mike Ramlow's name mentioned among the others.

I liked how he picked Inman for his Milwaukee Minor League Pitcher of the Year, though I have to ask why they didn't explicitly point to him as a "mover" in his own league nor mention his affinity for keeping the ball in the park, for the most part.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I know guys are enamored with Brantley's OBP, but 12 extra base hits is pretty weak. I think another year in A ball is warranted given his age and the fact that the guys passing him are more advanced physically. I hope he can fill out some and start at least hitting some doubles.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

So am I reading correctly that the West Virginia OF will be Brantley, Ford, and presumably Chapman? Supplemented by Chuckie Caufield? That's some speed in the OF, then...maybe that will help the pitchers.

I'd guess the WV rotation is drawn from this pool: Jean, Ramlow, Braddock, Ferguson, Kretzchmar, Mercedes, Amaury Rivas, Brandon Parrillo. If they piggyback again next year, who's starting isn't all that critical anyway...with that combination of guys piggybacks seem sensible, though perhaps they'll use a hybrid approach with two or three slots filled by older guys who are expected to go longer into games (Ferguson? Jean? Parillo?).

Maybe the most intriguing pitching staff this year, after the AAA juggernaut, will be Helena, with some combination of Jeffress, Hill, Anundsen, Aguilar, Pascual, Periard, maybe RJ Seidel, and presumably some college draft picks.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Jonathan Mayo with more from the day he spent in Maryvale February 28th -- within this report, we learn that 2006 5th round pick Chris Errecart is now a first baseman (and automatically becomes the Brewers' top prospect at that position, which had been thin otherwise). More good stuff here from MiLB.com:

web.minorleaguebaseball.c...;fext=.jsp

Archived