Brewer Fanatic

Yankees misstep in Johan deal (Meet the new boss....same as the old boss....)

I've held off on commenting here, but as some have recently echoed, I'll be really upset if we only get ONE stud prospect for Santana. The Twins really have more leverage than the press is giving them credit for. Boston can basically wrap up the AL if they get Santana and its a HUGE advantage for them to do so.

They have a ton of talent on that team and there definitely is a window of 3-4 years where they could win 2-3 world series if they can add a blue chip or two. They also can push the yankees into the distance of their rear view mirrors by doing this deal.

From the Yankees perspective, if they do not prevent Boston from getting Santana, they are pretty much conceding the AL East to the Red Sox for the next five years. Santana is likely the best pitcher in MLB.

If I were the Twins, I would prefer a "big three" from the Yankees, and I think the Yankees are more desperate than the sox and are more likely to deal. Its a huge gamble to call both teams bluff, but what is the alternative. Once you deal the best pitcher in MLB for crap you've really set yourself up for failure as a franchise. The Twins don't HAVE to trade Santana, its just in their best financial interests to likely do so. If the Yankees and Sox only offer crap, i'd love to see the Twins offer Santana a 6 year $150M deal just to spite the "powers that be". That is an awful lot to commit to one player, but with a new stadium, its not completely absurd either.

Message to Theo and Hank:

Lester, Ellsbury, and Lowrie

-or-

Hughes, Cano, and Chamberlain

or NO deal. its that simple

On a side note, maybe the Red Sox would be willing to trade Ellsbury for Kevin Mench. That is about the absurdity of what they are offering Minnesota

Hughes tends to be a product of the hype machine too. ... If the Twins get Ellsbury AND Lester

Not to pick on ILuvDaBush, but I quoted him because it summarizes what a lot of people are talking about in this and other (sheets/red sox) threads. The Yankees players are often referred to as overhyped, but the Red Sox prospects are deemed close to can't miss. Phil Hughes had better numbers than Jon Lester (who's career WHIP is 1.50), and Hughes is 2 years younger. Also Ellsbury had a nice run at the end of the year, but he is also a year older than Melky Cabrera. If you wanted to get a premium prospect from the Sox it would have to be Bucholz, who they have deemed untouchable. I would take a Hughes package over a Lester package anyday.

It isn't a strictly "Lester" lackage, or even an "Ellsbury" package. It would be two premium talents, which is what Minnesota should be looking for. Furthermore, both made the jump to the bigs at about the same time, though Lester's career was delayed by his bout with cancer. The kid fought back and that speaks volumes about his character. Phil Hughes is a good pitcher, but I remember going into this year when the debate was whether the best pitching prospect in baseball was Bailey or Hughes. Futility and injury, respectively, later, Yo and Lincecum breezed by them. And between Melky and Ellsbury, I'll take the former PAC-10 player of the year.

I'd take Hughes over Lester and Ellsbury over Melky...too bad Santana doesn't have a twin (sorry, that was a terrible pun but I couldn't resist).
This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I'm talkin' to whoever's listenin' out there.

It isn't a strictly "Lester" lackage, or even an "Ellsbury" package. It would be two premium talents
True enough Bush, and I was literally not singling you out, just used your quote as a starting point.

My post may have served better in the Sheets/Red Sox thread, where a package of Lester and Ellsbury for Sheets just seemed to underwhelm me. That's just my opinion.

I understand. I just think that if the Twins are blowing it up, that they would rather have two blue chips than one blue chip (I've never been a Melky fan). Honestly, a package of Ellsbury and Lester wouldn't overwhelm me, either, for Sheets, but the Brewers aren't blowing things up in the least. If we trade Sheets to anyone, I would either want a young superstar (Kemp... umm... Kemp...) or a stud 3B... OK, I'll say it. Sheets and Capuano for Wright and Heilman.

Tapping up on his desired new striker, eh? Wait 'til the Chelsea fans get ahold of this one! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Yeah, they've had a lot of experience with that. They could call the Yankees and give them some tips... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Now it is being leaked that a 5th player has been added to the mix on the Red Sox side, though no name has surfaced yet.

If I had to guess, it looks to me like the Twins clear target is Kennedy and Hughes and they are trying to get the Red Sox to increase their offer so the Yankees will be forced to counter.

Archived