Brewer Fanatic

Yankees misstep in Johan deal (Meet the new boss....same as the old boss....)

It's a risky move for the Yankees on two front

1.If Hughes becomes a pitcher with numbers somewhat near Santana, the Yanks will be paying 20-25 million a year more for only a small level of improvement to them.

2. If Santana gets hurt, they are on the hook for huge cash

With that said, at least the Yankees aren't going after a guy like Pavano or some aging Randy Johnson type of vet for big cash. Santana is the best pitcher in the game, not a guy coming off one good year. Plus, Santana is only 28 and has been durable. He gives the Yanks something they've lacked for awhile, a true ace.

To big of a risk for most franchises, but teams like the Yankees/Re Sox live in a different world

Melvin may kick the tires on a Nathan trade, but I think there will be several other teams pushing hard to get him (I heard one rumor about the Red Sox considering him for a setup role). The Brewers have the players to offer for a trade, but the only way it makes sense for their organization is if they get Nathan's contract extended before he hits free agency - a one year rental for a closer isn't an option. And with what Cordero got from the Reds, I don't see why Nathan wouldn't want to risk pitching his whole free agent year for a contract and then cashing in for something the Brewers couldn't afford.

Just for speculation's sake, what would it take from the Brewers to trade for Nathan? Capuano + prospect? Gamel + Vargas? I think any trades the brewers make need to include one of their middling starting pitchers (Capuano, Vargas, Bush) Villenueva and eventually Parra are ready to take up rotation spots, and Cappy, CV older, and Bush have too much trade value as starters to keep Milwaukee from tossing two of them in the pen.

This could very well get interesting yet as the Red Sox haave more depth in their minor league system and could put an overall stronger proposal together for the Twins. That could also mean the loser could reach to try to get someone like Haren or Sheets. If the yanks lose out on Santana, I could see them giving one pitching prospect and Melky for Sheets and DM at least would have to consider it.

This is apparently getting close, the two sides have agreed on Hughes and Melky Cabrera, and are debating whether the final player to the Twins will be SS Alberto Gonzalez, or pitcher Alan Horne.

My guess is, when the dust setlles on this one, Johan will be in NY, Dan Haren will be in Boston, and Joe Blanton will be a Met.

The ESPN website is reporting that Boston has increased the offer to the Twins by adding Ellsbury to the package. Basically it sounds like the Twins have to figure out if they would rather have Hughes or Ellsbury as the centerpiece of the deal. They also reported that the Yanks may pull their offer by Tuesday if they don't hear back from the Twins.

Hey maybe they can work out a 3 way trade to get both Hughes and Ellsbury lol jk..

You could make a case for Hughes and you could make a case for Ellsbury. What it will come down other than personal opinions in the F.O of the Twins is who's around that main guy in the trade, is it Ian Kennedy, is it Cabrera, is it Lester, Bucholz?

If I was the Twins GM it would be Hughes, Chamberlain and Kennedy. Im not the biggest fan of Cabrera. I don't think he'll amount to much. Any other team in MLB if he played on he would not get that much attention. If I wanted to deal him to BOS, it would be Ellsbury, Bucholz and Lester. The BOS trade gives you pitching and hitting. The NY trade gives only pitching. Even if Cabrera is in the deal he won't amount to much.

I don't understand why Melky Cabrera is considered a valuable trading chip. I realize that he's young and cheap, but he's not really any good. If Cabrera played in Milwaukee, he's Rick Manning

Melky Cabrera is OK, but that's it. I think he's another New York player that tends to get overvalued because of all the exposure and ESPN hype.Or maybe people hear his last name and figure they're talking about Miguel.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Hughes tends to be a product of the hype machine too. Not to take anything from him, but I'll take Yo everyday, and that's before considering the league that each pitches in. If the Twins get Ellsbury AND Lester, on top of Jed Lowrie...and probably one more small piece (Masterson???), you would have to think the Twins would jump. Delmon and Ellsbury... Lester and Liriano.... Mauer and Morneau... And as for Nathan, it seems that with all the attention being lavished on the new Twins' GM< he probably is going to overvalue Nathan in this market. I'd wait until the deadline when the price drops.

I think the Twins would be absolutely foolish to trade Santana for Hughes/melky/mid-level prospect. I'd take Hughes and Camberlin and mid-level, or Hughes and Cano. This guy is the best pitcher in baseball for Chrissakes--he's worth more, much more. I'd take Wang, Hughes, Melky.

I really think it's in the best interest of the Twins to deal with the Red Sox. All that extra depth. Lester, Ellsbury, the catcher (dang, can't remember his name), and another mid-level prospect.

Archived