Brewer Fanatic

Cures for a hangover

jaybird2001wi

drink better liquor. don't know if it myth or not, but apparently cheap liquor has more "toxins" in them. i have actually noticed this is person when drinking cheap gin versus good gin (yes...good gin does exist!)

if that fails, go for grease. grease does wonders for a hangover IMO

Everybody dreads work when they are hungover. Try opening the bar and pouring the same poison you chugged down all night. Ick.

Hungover? Gatorade for me. Chocolate Milk for the girlfriend.

Also, do what you would normally do. Don't sit on the couch and feel sorry for yourself. It just makes it worse. I usually try to do the same thing, even if I'm sick and not hungover.

i know most people have heard of the vodka in the water purifier thing before. i've always been curious if that helps a hangover, too. those hangover pills you can buy at the gas station are basically just charcoal, so wouldn't running the vodka through a charcoal filter do the same thing?

drink better liquor.
Agreed. I'm a brandy and coke drinker. I discovered several years ago that my hangover is much less severe if I drink Korbel brandy instead of some off name brand.

I'm 41 and don't go out nearly as much as I did 20 years ago. One thing I have noticed now when I go out is that bars seem to be much more generous (too generous) with the liquor in mixed drinks than they were when I was in college. In soda and liquor drinks they make half the drink liquor. Crazy.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Aspirin + alcohol makes for stomach bleeding, I think.
From what I understand, that's totally and completely valid.

But this isn't supposed to happen too often. If it isn't a regular occurrence, take an Alka Seltzer, which has a regular dose of aspirin along with some nice bubblies for your tummy. In addition, lots of water can't hurt.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

First off, I'm almost exclusively a beer drinker. Is there any truth to the theory of mixing diet sodas with booze will lessen the effects because of the lack of sugar counteracting with the booze?

Someone tried to tell me this once, but since I drink beer, I didn't care!

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

For some reason the best thing I have ever had for a hangover are Rootbeer flavored popcicles. I have no idea why - it may just be a mental thing with me. In college I used to keep Rootbeer popcicles in my freezer just for the hangover situations.

I had an absolutly terrible hangover, and a friend convinced me to take a canoe ride with him. Reluctently, I went. Ten feet from shore he tipped the canoe, dumping us into a 65 degree lake. My condition was greatly improved almost instantly, which kept me from punching him in the face. He reasoned that the cold water constricted the blood vessels, helping squeeze out the toxins. I have no idea if this is true, but I've been taking cold showers the morning after ever since, and in my mind it works.

I also drink Gatorade, 2 Advill, and a vitamin before bead.

I also turn the thermostat down, as I seem to run hot after I drink, which causes me to wake early.

Like others have said, sex helps, and I'd like to add that its most effective with another person.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

All these hangover remedies have lead to a pretty serious drinking problem.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I'll usually drink a bunch of water before I go to bed that night.

When I'm hungover I generally wake up kinda early and realize my head hurts. I'll drink a bunch more water and pop some excedrin or something similar then go back to sleep for another hour or so. I'm usually good as new after that.

I'm no doctor, but i believe aspirin alone causes stomach bleeding. That's why it's good to drink a lot of water with it, and milk is even better.

Also true of Ibuprofen, which includes Advil, Aleve and Motrin, but if you drink a full glass of water, or better yet eat something with it, you should be ok. Of course, the best hangover cure is to just not stop drinking.

Go outside and do stuff. Yesterday, I shoveled snow, and afterwards, I was exhausted and my back hurt like hell. I took 1,000 mg of ibuprofin, ate some food, and today I'm a new man.

Historically, this is the best remedy I can remember working for me personally. I remember back when I was living at my parents' house, and I was out drinking beer all night, and my Dad woke me up to do chores. I was out in the field in the hot sun shearing Christmas trees or something. For about an hour or so, it was pure hell. However, after some food, lots of water, and a quick nap, I was cured.

The best way to cure a hangover, IMO, is to prepare your body before you start drinking, and if possible, try and stick to one kind of drink all night. Obviously, too much of any one kind of drink, and it won't matter. Also, try and pace yourself. Another thing, it's not always how much you drink. Too much beer too fast can give you a killer headache the next morning.

Historically, this is the best remedy I can remember working for me personally. I remember back when I was living at my parents' house, and I was out drinking beer all night, and my Dad woke me up to do chores.

Oh, man, that brings back memories. I had a party one night at my house and some idiot woke my dad up. I was chopping and stacking wood all day the next day.

Anyone know of any home remedies?
Drink less the night before?

Drink more the morning after?

You're obviously someone younger than me. Not sure if I'm better off now than when I would go out partying all night and went straight back to it the next day. Oh the memories of the Mole Lake Bluegrass festival in the 80's. Five straight days of drinking till my eyes bled. Trying to remember not to walk through the bikers areas lest I get more than the pain of a hangover for my troubles. Drink till you fall asleep get up with a beer and a shot and start all over agian. Did I mention I didn't even like bluegrass. I had fun but even thinking about it now hurts.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

One thing to remember: Drinking lots of beer and then drinking lots of water to avoid a hangover can be very dangerous if that's all you do.

Be sure to eat something salty so that your sodium levels don't get too low. If they do, what happens is to the effect of your brain expanding so that it is too much for your skull...something potentially fatal. It's rare, but it does occasionally happen.

I didn't read through the whole thread, so I apologize if this has been mentioned already. But I understand that strapping on some oxygen really helps. My disabled daughter has an oxygen need so we always have a huge tank of oxygen at the house - I've just always been embarrased to push the nurse out of the way to try some oxygen for my hangover. I've wanted to try the oxygen bar in Vegas with a hangover, but it's usually just easier to sleep until 3pm and then start up again.

Archived