Brewer Fanatic

Cures for a hangover

jaybird2001wi

Anyone know any good cures for a hangover? I am 25 and I used to be able to stick around until bar time when I was 21 and 22 and was actually able to wake up bright and early the next morning with no major issues. Now I feel like a mac truck hit me and it takes more than a day to recover. Anyone know of any home remedies?

I'm a big advocate of the Gatorade.
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Gatorade seems to have an immediate help, but I've found that it will make for some huge crashes when the effects (sugar and other energy products in it) wear off. Gives me a massive headache worse than the initial hangover.

Also, I'd be careful with all the aspirin before going to bad, that is EXTREMELY bad for your liver to handle all of the booze and tylenol/aspirin. I'm not sure exactly what it does but I had a health type class at Whitewater and this issue came up and the professor almost came out of her shoes when she found out we did this...I haven't done it ever since.

A very funny memory just came to me when I read this post. The night that I remember being the drunkest I have ever been I ate a whole box (jumbo movie-theater-sized box) of Mike and Ikes before I went to bed. I washed it down with a big bottle of Gatorade and felt fine the next morning. I got about 8 hours of sleep but I swear that the Mike and Ikes saved the day http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Have a glass of whatever you had the night before. Seriously though the best thing is to get up and move around. When I used to go out we would often play golf early in the day the next day and by about the 5th-6th hole I would start feeling better. Liquids and fresh air.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Pepto or even some milk before you go out will help. also eating some bread or crackers.

half beer, half 7-Up is good the next morning.

now and in the winter the following morning i always go for a walk. getting your muscles moving again and all the cool air really helps.

i've heard it a couple times before that you can wake up the next morning stone sober, but you'll still register a blood-alcohol content. so maybe not a cure or anything, just a caution in case you need to drive to the gas station to pick up that Gatorade.

Water before bed, Gatorade and caffeine the next day. And get up and do stuff, even if you don't feel up to it.

I always thought caffine was something to avoid when nursing a hangover.

Water, Gatorade, crackers, weed are great hangover cures. I also try to eat something greasy, like french fries, because it'll line the stomach. Sex is another classic cure because the enorphins are painkillers and you will (hopefully) sweat out some booze.

I like the half-beer, half 7-Up combo GAME05!

Water before bed, Gatorade and caffeine the next day. And get up and do stuff, even if you don't feel up to it.

Have to agree with brettac here. Vitamin Water is also one of my new favs along with Gatorade. I'd also say that an underrated thing to do is SHOWER too. Duh, right? But I know too many people who just lay around without showering the next day.

make sure you eat something with the Gatorade. To much Gatorade and you will be back to the bathroom, sitting down this time. As dumb as this sounds you can somewhat overdose on Gatorade. Its not really designed to be drank like water, all day long i mean.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The best thing is to do something that makes you sweat. No matter how bad you feel, I recommend going for a slow jog and/or brisk walk - the hardest steps are the first ones and then you just get in a zoned out rhythm. Once you finish, take your shower, and eat something you should be ok. Laying around all day will not help no matter how much water or aspirin you take. Also, try switching to water about 20 mnutes before bar time. That really helps and let's face it, if you're still boozing the last 20 minutes before bar time you are just beating a dead horse anyway.

I also heard that eating something healthy instead of greasy is better for you but for me the last thing in the world I want when I'm hungover is a piece of fruit.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I found this on a website this morning. I have been using apple cider vinager & honey for high blood pressure but I read about hangovers this morning:Eat honey on bread or crackers. The fructose in the honey helps to flush out the alcohol in your system.

Sex is another classic cure because the enorphins are painkillers and you will (hopefully) sweat out some booze.

The best thing is to do something that makes you sweat. No matter how bad you feel, I recommend going for a slow jog and/or brisk walk

Homer, I'm not going to say your idea is worse, per se... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Basically, anything that makes you sweat is good. Painkillers are a really bad idea. Gatorade makes me sick, so I just stick with water. Or maybe another beer.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Ha, good stuff, AT.

Homer: And dehydration is only part of the problem. It accounts for headaches and dry mouth but the fatigue, stomach aches, and general malaise is due to the chemical breakdown of alcohol in the body.

Random Hangover Guy: Wow, are you a hangover doctor?

Homer: No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night......and did some research on the internet.

This site has some good info on 'cures'. I guess those omelets from Ma Fischer's are good for something after all.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/hangover6.htm

Here's a summary:

Hangover Remedy Overview

[align=center][/align]The only fool-proof way to avoid a hangover, of course, is not to drink alcohol. But from a scientific perspective, researchers have found the following general regimen minimizes the symptoms of a hangover.

Before Drinking

• Eat a full meal - A full stomach slows down the absorption of alcohol, giving the body more time to process the toxins. Fatty foods and carbohydrates increase this effect. Having food in the stomach also decreases stomach irritation, in turn reducing the likelihood that a drinker will vomit. (See Biology of a Hangover)
  • Drink a glass of water - This ensures the body is hydrated before the diuretic effect takes hold.
  • Take multivitamins - This better prepares the body for the depletion of vitamins caused by frequent urination.

While Drinking

• Drink in moderation - Ideally, drinkers should limit themselves to one drink per hour because the body takes about an hour to process a single drink.
  • Drink a glass of water after every alcoholic beverage - In addition to helping keep a drinker hydrated, this will give the body more time to process the alcohol, dilute the toxins and reduce irritation of the stomach. A sports drink like Gatorade or Propel will also replenish electrolytes, salts and sugars lost in the urine.
  • Watch your drink choice - Drinkers generally fare better when they stick with one drink. Each new type of alcohol a drinker puts into his or her system makes the body work that much harder and puts that many more toxins in the body, leading to a more severe hangover. Here's a rundown of the major types of alcohol and their effects:
    • [li]Beer:
    Beer has the lowest percentage of alcohol (4 to 6 percent), but it is also carbonated, which speeds up the absorption and can lead to toxin build-up.
Wine: Wine has a higher percentage of alcohol (7 to 15 percent) than beer, but it is usually not carbonated. White wine is safer than red or blush because it has fewer congeners. In general, the cheaper the wine, the higher the congener content and the worse the hangover. Liquor: Liquor has the highest alcohol content (40 to 95 percent) and therefore increases the likelihood of a hangover. Clear liquors like vodka, rum and gin are better bets than dark or sweet liquors like bourbon, scotch or tequila because they have fewer congeners. Generally, cheaper liquor will result in a worse hangover than more expensive liquor.

[/li]

After Drinking

Before Bed

• Take two aspirin with a full glass of water - The prostaglandin inhibitors in the aspirin can decrease hangover severity.

In the Morning

• Take two more aspirin with a full glass of water - This has been shown to minimize headaches as well as decrease inflammation from leftover prostaglandin.
  • Take another multivitamin - Replenishing C and B vitamins in particular can help get rid of the rest of the toxins.
  • Eat breakfast - A meal that includes eggs (for the cysteine), a banana (for the potassium), and fruit juice (for the fructose) or a sports drink (for the electrolytes, sugars and salts) can get the body on the road to recovery. Keep in mind that caffeinated coffee, tea and soda will further dehydrate a drinker.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

If possible I try to stay up as late as I can. The more sober you are when you go to bed, the better you feel the next day
This is what works for me too. If I lay down and feel the room spinning I know I have to stay awake until that stops.

The best thing for me is to have 2-3 beers when I wake up.

Archived