Brewer Fanatic

Fielder named top young player by Bill James

Hsee2006

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/11/02/billjames.talent/index.html

Just saw this article on SI and thought I woudl pass it along. As much as I love Fielder to name him as the top young player in the game is a pretty bold statement. I think one of the more interesting things in the article is the love for Corey Hart at number 39. Maybe the word is starting to get out on him. Have to say most of the list looks pretty good.

Also James says we have the 6th best young talent in the league in this article. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/11/02/billjames.rankings/index.html

Well Bill James is a bit behind the times in his rankings of players, he was a pioneer but he is far from the best statistical baseball mind out there now.

Francoeur is a pretty average hitter, he's a very good fielder though which adds to his value and he of course is still pretty young still.

Francouer is 23, and yet some insist on cutting him down because he's been in the bigs 3 years and not hit .400/.500. He might, or at least come mighty close.

Al again bravely attacks the straw! No strawman will ever make its way past his mighty typing!

Francouer hasn't hit .350/.450.

Yea, SCY04, that was really kind of a dumb comment for him to make. But I guess you can't expect him to know the ins & outs of each team & their farm systems. Still came off very poorly though.

Mike Jones, Mark Rogers, Manny Parra? Noogy?? There's guys.

Well Bill James is a bit behind the times in his rankings of players, he was a pioneer but he is far from the best statistical baseball mind out there now.

Francoeur is a pretty average hitter, he's a very good fielder though which adds to his value and he of course is still pretty young still.

Who is concidered the best statistical baseball guy out there right now? I'm a bit out of the loop.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Who is concidered the best statistical baseball guy out there right now?

http://www.geometricrate.com/blog/media/blogs/misc/frink.gif

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Who is concidered the best statistical baseball guy out there right now? I'm a bit out of the loop.

Some guys from BP are pretty good, like Nate Silver, Clay Davenport and some others. The Hardball Times also has some very good guys too, like David Gassko and Studeman. Outside of those two there's Tom Tango (tangotiger), Micheal Lichtman, Andrew Dolphin, John Dewan from BIS, and David Pinto. IMO, theres no way to just narrow it down to a single best statistical baseball guy, but some are probably better than others. i think tangotiger and MGL may be a step above the others, but that just imho.

Edit: there are definitely some guys that I missed or don't know about that are very, very good also.

I'd add Ron Shandler to that list or at least the guys over at baseball HQ in general. They are a bit more fantasy baseball oriented but they still do some great work with predictive studies.

Dan Fox is a very good one too especially when it comes to baserunning and pitch/hit tracking.

As TerraceReserved said, it is really hard to just point at one guy since they all do research in different areas. Bill James is still respected but he isn't really pushing the envelope of baseball research lately.

Archived