Brewer Fanatic

Rough News

BuckyTuba

I just wanted to let everyone know that my girlfriend, Whitney, was diagnosed with uterus or cervical (i'm not sure which) cancer today. The doctors caught it early in the development, so it's only stage 1.

I'm a wreck, but she's cool as a cucumber about the entire ordeal. She's trying to block it out and continue to live through her normal classes/exams at UNC. She insists that the stress of thinking about it will just make things worse. The hardest part will be attempting to be calm around her and not reminding her of what's going on. She'll be heading to Greensboro for treatment sometime in December. She's only 22 years old, and she's been through so much already.

Catching it early is one of the main ingredients to beating it so while it may not seem so now there is good news hidden in the bad. I'm always amazed at what can be done these days in regard to early detection and treatment of cancer. I don't want to sound like it's all great but optimism in times like this can help keep her and your spirits up. In any event my thoughts are with you and yours for a quick recovery.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

My 22 year old sister was diagnosed with stage 3 skin cancer in late June or early July. She also wanted to stay in school as well and seemed to be handling it better than other family members.

The best thing you can do is stay positive and continue to be there for her when she needs it.

I wish you guys the best.

Good to hear that it's only level 1. Just remind yourself that cancer is not the death sentence it used to be. Advances in medicine have come a long way recently in the fight against cancer. In fact there are now two vaccines that have been recently licensed for use against cervical cancer. Definitely stay strong and be her support. I know you'll get through this and be stronger as a person. You both are in my prayers.

Bucky, if your GF has to undergo radiation treatment to rid of the cancer, it will be tough for everyone involved. My mother is a four-time cancer survivor with her first diagnoses happening when I was in 2nd grade. I hope the best for your GF and your families. It can be tough, but if your gf is a fighter, it will be much easier. The key is to stay optimistic and hope for the best and have a solid foundation of support for her. You will be surprised to see a lot of people rallying around her. When I was in 2nd grade, even my elementary school social worker came to my house and provided some family support and during my elementary school days, the social worker even put together a group of students, including myself, who have parents with cancer. It was a good support system. The social worker allowed my group to air concerns during our weekly meetings (there were about 10 elementary kids, including myself, in this group.)

Tell your gf it is ok to talk about it and it is ok to tell people how she is feeling. It will make her stronger once she is able to talk about it freely and openly.

But radiation and/or chemotherapy will be the toughest obstacle to face. But since they caught it early, radiation treatment may not be necessary.

I just wanted to let everyone know that my girlfriend, Whitney, was diagnosed with uterus or cervical (i'm not sure which) cancer today. The doctors caught it early in the development, so it's only stage 1.

I'm a wreck, but she's cool as a cucumber about the entire ordeal. She's trying to block it out and continue to live through her normal classes/exams at UNC. She insists that the stress of thinking about it will just make things worse. The hardest part will be attempting to be calm around her and not reminding her of what's going on. She'll be heading to Greensboro for treatment sometime in December. She's only 22 years old, and she's been through so much already.

I'm certainly not a doctor, but from what I've heard, cervical cancer (when it's caught early) is very recoverable, unlike ovarian cancer which can be pretty dicey. You both are in my prayers, and I wish you the best of luck.

I got a chance to see her tonight after she got off of work. She was clearly dragging from the stress of the day, and needed a pick-me-up. We went out to the barn where she just moved her horse this week. When she got the horse into the stall, she hugged him and I lost it again. She was completely happy that she was with the two favorite male animals in her life. It's little things like that are getting to me now, and I won't take anytime with her for granted.

my girlfriend...the first I've ever had, has gastroparesis. basically, her stomach muscles don't work, with no cure. In 3 months (today's the 3month anniversary) she's lost about 45 pounds cause of it...

I feel your pain!

My thoughts are with you also, bud. Keep trying to stay positive for her - it's amazing what the human body can do with a positive attitude. These are terrible things that can really bring out the best in people, so I'm sure she's glad to have you by her side through all of this.

Archived