Brewer Fanatic

Bob Wickman's contract status ?

Big Reed

I was just wondering what Wickman's contract status is? Is he a free agent? Did Arizona pick up his contract from the Braves? Did they give him a 2 year deal when they picked him up off waivers? he said he didn't want to go to a club to be a set-up man, yet he signed with the dbacks. People said he would be a cancer if he wasn't the closer, but he said nothing while a dback and he actually pitched pretty good for the dbacks. For the most part last year he was doing a pretty good job as a closer for the braves. Admittedly, he would always put a few guys on base, but he usually got out of the inning without them scoring. As I recall, Cordero also had a very bad habit of also putting guys on base before getting out of the inning. Wickman had a couple of bad outings in a row and the braves waived him. he seemed to rebound well as a dback showing he wasn't as bad as the braves thought he was.

I haven't heard any rumors about Wickman at all in the last month. Is he a type A FA and nobod y wants to risk losing a draft pick for signing him? ? Would the dbacks consider trading him? Would he be a better closer than Turnbow?

any updated info?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
He has a two year deal worth 17,000 jelly doughnuts.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

That makes me wonder about a guy like Freddy Garcia. I wonder if he'd take an incentive laden contract, move to the pen, with the thought that if he turned it around health-wise etc., and if he flourished, he could move to a closer's role. Just a thought.

That makes me wonder about a guy like Freddy Garcia. I wonder if he'd take an incentive laden contract, move to the pen, with the thought that if he turned it around health-wise etc., and if he flourished, he could move to a closer's role. Just a thought.
What does this have to do with Bob Wickman?

Not every Starter can make it as a BP guy.... Some have problems because it takes them to long to have to warm up(Might be the problem with Wood) Garcia will still get teams interested in him for starting.... and really does he have the stuff to be a closer, I would rather have the Power arms as closers...guys that can get the ball up there at 95-98 MPH...

Thats why I think Jermey Jeffers is our future closer..because he is having problems getting a decent 3rd pitch..

Is Wickman a Class A free agent? I could see where a club would not want to give up a pick to sign him. but i would think like morgan and moyer and doug jones, that he would pitch until he's 70! perhaps he'll generate more interest in march and April.

A simple search would have prevented this thread from starting.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3009779

Let's not get lazy people.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove

A simple search would also show that he is listed as a Free Agent...

Lets not get lazy People

They Signed Wickman like we signed Ray king... BOTH are Free Agents this year

Wallas . I hate to say it, but your link provided no information about wickman other than he signed and played for Arizona last year. it says nothing about if was resigned, if he was a cat A free agent, or if any teams were interested in him. Part of the purpose of my thread was to also gain info fro m brewer fans to see if they might think Wickman could fill the void for the brewers as a closer rather than giving the job back to Turnbow.

I personally think turnbow did a great job as a set-up man las t year. but i'm very leary of giving him back the closer role. 10 blown saves are the difference between a 90 win and 80 win season. And turnbow is very capable of blowing 10 saves.

That's why I started the thread. To see what interest there might be in Wickman and to also ask why his name hasn't been mentioned in any rumors lately. I'm not lazy. I do like to read other people's opinions.

Wickman is not a class A or B free agent according to mlbtraderumors.com...but there Free Agent list did not have Riske on it so I dont know...

Here is the List they had though and what type the player is next to it..

2008 MLB Free Agents

Presenting...your 2008 free agent class.

I've categorized them by position; the player's 2008 age is in parentheses. Also Type A or B status is included; otherwise there's no compensation. If I saw someone as a possibility at more than one position I put them at both. I'll keep this post updated throughout the offseason and make it a permanent sidebar link.

Updated 11-29-07

Catchers

Michael Barrett (31) - Type A

Paul Lo Duca (36) - Type B

First basemen

Sean Casey (34) - Type B

Tony Clark (36)

Darin Erstad (34)

Ryan Klesko (37)

Mike Lamb (33)

Doug Mientkiewicz (34)

Second basemen

Marcus Giles (30)

Tadahito Iguchi (33) - Type A

Mark Loretta (37) - Type B

Jose Valentin (38)

Shortstops

David Eckstein (33) - Type B

Cesar Izturis (28)

Alexei Ramirez (26)

Third basemen

Pedro Feliz (33) - Type B

Corey Koskie (35)

Mike Lamb (32)

Left fielders

Barry Bonds (43) - Type A

Milton Bradley (30) - Type A

Cliff Floyd (35)

Luis Gonzalez (40) - Type B

Geoff Jenkins (33)

Reggie Sanders (40)

Shannon Stewart (34) - Type B

Brad Wilkerson (31)

Center fielders

Mike Cameron (35) - Type B

Andruw Jones (31) - Type B

Kenny Lofton (41) - Type B

Corey Patterson (28)

Alexei Ramirez (26)

Aaron Rowand (30) - Type A

Right fielders

Kosuke Fukudome (31)

Shawn Green (35) - $10MM club option for '08 - Type B

Jose Guillen (32)

Geoff Jenkins (33)

Trot Nixon (34)

Reggie Sanders (40)

DHs

Barry Bonds (43) - Type A

Mike Piazza (39) - Type B

Sammy Sosa (39)

Mike Sweeney (34)

Starting pitchers

Tony Armas Jr. (30)

Kris Benson (32)

Shawn Chacon (30)

Roger Clemens (45)

Matt Clement (32)

Bartolo Colon (35)

Josh Fogg (31)

Casey Fossum (30)

Freddy Garcia (32) - Type B

Livan Hernandez (33) - Type B

Jason Jennings (29)

Kenshin Kawakami (33)

Byung-Hyun Kim (29)

Hiroki Kuroda (33)

Brian Lawrence (32)

Jon Lieber (38)

Kyle Lohse (29)

Rodrigo Lopez (32)

Mike Maroth (30)

Eric Milton (32)

Tomo Ohka (32)

Russ Ortiz (34)

Odalis Perez (31)

Andy Pettitte (36) - Type A

Kenny Rogers (43) - Type B

Kazumi Saito (30)

Carlos Silva (29)

John Thomson (34)

Brett Tomko (35)

Steve Trachsel (37)

Jeff Weaver (31)

David Wells (45)

Kip Wells (31)

Randy Wolf (31)

Jamey Wright (34)

Jaret Wright (32)

Closers

Armando Benitez (35)

Octavio Dotel (32)

Keith Foulke (35)

Eric Gagne (32) - Type B

Bob Wickman (39)

Middle relievers

Jeremy Affeldt (29)

Antonio Alfonseca (36)

LaTroy Hawkins (35)

Jorge Julio (29) - Type B

Ron Mahay (37) - Type B

Mike Timlin (42) - Type B

Luis Vizcaino (31) - Type B

Also we are going to get Blown saves by whoever we have in the Closer job.... I mean the "Great Uber God" Coco Cordero blew 7 saves...so a difference of 3 games....

Where our offense and our Defense were bigger culprits last year..

Offense because we score 5 or 6 runs in the first 2 innings and do nothing the rest of the game and lose 7-6

Our Defense because how many times did he get a huge strike out or pop up to potentialy get out of an inning and then clank off of Fielder... or bobbled by Weeks.. or thrown away by Braun... or hart and Mench slipping and falling in the OutField..

Archived