Brewer Fanatic

Badger Poker

Pedro
Just curious if anyone had played in the Badger Poker tournaments in the Milwaukee area. If so, what were your impressions of the quality of play (and the quality of the people playing)? Also, what were the blind structures like and how quick did the levels progress? It looks like it might be a fun time, but I'd like to get some poker players' feedback.

though i haven't been to Badger Poker, i've been to two or three of the same bar-league type tournaments. i remember one in madison, every other person wore sunglasses and every third person had an unlit cigarette in their mouth. every other move was all-in and they'd jump up and pace before they'd even get a caller. the whole experience was so idiotic i was laughing at the people all night.

skill-wise, it was some of the worst poker i've ever seen. personally, i think it's a great way to learn cards, but there's a danger of playing those games too much because you learn too many bad habits and it stunts real development as a poker player. if you want to just dink around with poker and have fun at a bar, then those things are great. if you want to get some real skill and make some money at the game, then avoid those free games. if a poker game lacks fear then what's the point?

BUT i'll grant it that those games can often be a good way to learn about side games for some real cash money.

A poker blogger in the Cities played in a similar charity event, one woman only knew how to bet, call, or fold; she would not check even though the dealers tried to help her.

She came in 3rd out of 100+ people, so the skill level is minimal. Pedro, if it looks like a good time, try it. I just can't get into live poker, but the experience is a lot of fun to many people.

Well, some of this, even though it's not Badger Poker specifically, is what I'm worried about. I knew it wasn't for money, but simply prizes and/or points for some other prizes. I didn't care too much about that....just wanted to work on my game and have a good time. My main concern is that it will be a lousy game. I have played in charity events before...and it seemed to be primarily people who had rarely or never played poker. Not unlike a $5 Sit-and-go online.

I like playing live (at least the home STTs with friends) and considered this as one more opportunity for live tournament play. I've heard from one other person that sunglasses and iPods are abundant. At Long Wong's for a free tournament?!

Oh, well. I may try it once, but I doubt it. I'll probably just stick to online and infrequent home games.

yeah, i was going to ask you if you were more interested in the fun of it or the improvement/money part of poker. it sounds like you're more at least on the improvement. to that i'd say you'd become a worse player by going. i have a friend who's been a serious bar-poker player for a year. i played him once and he's only learned how to play like them.

if you're looking for a more-regular live game, i'd recommend at one of your infrequent games suggesting a regular time to meet, even better if you're able to host the game. it'll be small at first, but regular games attract people pretty quickly as the word spreads among your friends.

I played the first 2 seasons. If you've never played or dont have a group to play with its a good way to start, but the play is terrible. I am lucky to be with a regular group that plays every wednesday. We have our own room at a bar and draw 25-30 at $20 a person. @ of our group have played in the wsop

Archived